Carbs and feeling sick

crazy4birds
on 8/9/15 7:19 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

So I ate some crackers last night and I already know this is bad but I'm having problems with night eating.  I can't eat gluten so these were made with rice flour, corn flour and oats.  Anyway after I ate them it felt like my heart was racing and my legs felt weak.  I crawled into bed and fell asleep.  I thought it had something to do with the salt since I have high blood pressure and that they also affected my fibro which makes my legs weak.  Now I'm wondering if it could be reactive hypoglycemia but looking at that they say to eat peanut butter and crackers so I don't get it.  Any ideas????  I know...don't eat crackers!!!

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130 

Grim_Traveller
on 8/9/15 7:46 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Sounds like blood sugar crashing. Don't do that anymore.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

lynnc99
on 8/9/15 8:16 pm

Agreed. We all learn about dumping, but swings in blood sugar can set things off. If you are concerned about hypoglycemia, you need to pursue this with your doctor, but a little protein may be helpful if this happens again (and if you can eat when it happens). 

crazy4birds
on 8/9/15 8:54 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

It's weird, my doc and staff informed us about dumping but not about this.  The reason I had this surgery was to stop my progression to diabetes.  I am already so food challenged with so many food sensitivities that a doc once joked that I would have to live on an IV.  I still managed to find enough crap to eat that led to weight gain and pre-diabetes.  I know, waa, waaa poor me.  Just need to ramp up my commitment to this um, commitment and "don't do that".  

MickeyDee
on 8/9/15 8:54 pm

Yeah, sounds like RH.  That's why you eat a protein with the crackers, to offset the RH.  

I know if I eat simple carbs I fall asleep--that's called "carb coma".  Like getting poleaxed.  Just drop off and sleep very hard.

Of course, now I find it hard to fall asleep at night.  Insomnia--go figger.  So I'll take some Tylenol PM instead of eating simple carbs.

cspotrun
on 8/10/15 6:46 am
RNY on 07/01/14

the same thing happens to me with carbs.  I find it helpful to keep me away from those foods.

Karen   

auntmimi
on 8/10/15 7:09 am

If I eat refined carbs or sugar then I go into dumping. I cannot eat 4 ritz crackers or else I will dump. I had a terrible craving for them a couple weeks ago and ate 4 and dumped on 4!! It was the first time I had had crackers in 17 months.....lesson learned! Your symptoms sound like what happens to me when I dump. I also get where my heart feels like its racing and then I get so nauseated. 

SkinnyScientist
on 8/10/15 11:54 am

Not to get preachy, but LISTEN to your body. It is telling you that that stuff isnt good for you.

STop eating it.

My NUT tells horror stories of people who didnt listen to their body post RNY..continued to eat junkfood although it made them sick and eventually that "feeling" goes away.  Then they keep eating the junk and NEVER lose the weight.

You want to lose/maintain your weight loss right?

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

crazy4birds
on 8/10/15 6:49 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

That's ok I need a good kick in the behind every now and then.

hollykim
on 8/10/15 1:58 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 9, 2015 at 7:19 PM Pacific Time, crazy4birds wrote:

So I ate some crackers last night and I already know this is bad but I'm having problems with night eating.  I can't eat gluten so these were made with rice flour, corn flour and oats.  Anyway after I ate them it felt like my heart was racing and my legs felt weak.  I crawled into bed and fell asleep.  I thought it had something to do with the salt since I have high blood pressure and that they also affected my fibro which makes my legs weak.  Now I'm wondering if it could be reactive hypoglycemia but looking at that they say to eat peanut butter and crackers so I don't get it.  Any ideas????  I know...don't eat crackers!!!

they were probably high in sugar.

Most Active
Recent Topics