RNY or Sleeve

peachpie
on 8/13/15 12:32 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I just posted my rationale to another board on why I went with RNY: 

My sister who had VSG has never made it to goal. her starting weight was over 300#, lowest she made it to was about 250ish. She works out hard core, but IMO wasn't eating well and drinks too much alcohol. She is now @ 260 and doesn't like the fact I'm approaching where she is. She is working at eating better.

I chose RNY because I saw my sister with VSG was still able to eat a lot of crap after her surgery. I knew the malabsorption feature would help *if* I chose to eat crap. And we both loved sweets...I also wanted the 'safeguard' of dumping to keep me away-- but it looks like I tolerate sugars so far. My sister gets heartburn and throws up more than I care for-- I didn't want to live like that. (and for the record-- I thrown up a handful of times in my life-- mostly pregnancy related-- anything beyond that is abnormal in my head.)

I also didn't like the idea of removing part of my stomach... I may be rerouted-- but its all in there :-)

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

judeloren
on 8/13/15 12:50 pm

thanks for the reply! that is two other things i am worried about nausea and heartburn... i heard nausea can be bad with the rny.

i don't like the idea of it all being in there lol it seems kind of like a foreign object to me mostly unconnected but in there... kinda like my lap band its freaking me out now.

catwoman7
on 8/13/15 4:11 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

not sure which surgery is worse for nausea (I had RNY and haven't had any nausea), but heartburn is usually more of a problem for sleeve people.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Dinky75
on 8/13/15 1:48 pm

I just had a revision from band to RNY on 7-28-15. So far so good. I too wanted the sleeve but I wanted it because malabsorption scared me. However, after talking to my physician he recommended RNY because I had diabetes pre-band. The malabsorption helps long term with weight related illness like diabetes and can even help with other things like cholesterol. I am very happy with my choice so far. Stay tuned! Good luck with whichever you choose!

Dinky75 pre-band(4/12/11)weight 247 - pre RNY(7/28/15) weight 213.   

judeloren
on 8/13/15 2:04 pm

good for you! keep me posted!

robinreinhardt
on 8/13/15 2:42 pm

I love my RNY!!!! I had it 8 months ago and have lost 70 pounds. I actually like the dumping because it keeps me away from the foods that made me morbidly obese. I will tell you it is very hard but well worth the effort. I have totally changed my eating habits and work out an hour every day. I am really happier than I have ever been in my life. Weight has been an issue for me my entire life. I like now not thinking about food. I do miss pizza and pasta but won't have any until i reach goal. Then I probably will not have much. From what I hear maintenance is tough work too. I hope this helps you. Also coming here to OH is the best thing in the world. You really get a lot of help and insight from all the vets. I am here everyday just learning and growing. Good luck to you in whatever surgery you have.

Robin

Doingrightin2015
on 8/13/15 3:12 pm
RNY on 03/10/15

I am 5 months post R&Y and at first thought that I would go with the sleeve. After looking at all the pro's an cons I decided on the R&Y and still happy that I did. I too have a very low metabolism so the malabsorption was appealing to help get it off faster in the beginning. I too love sweets and knowing it might cause me to dump keeps me from testing the waters. I did not like the sound of increase in acid reflux with the sleeve. R&Y has been tested tried and true for long term success. It is the better choice if diabetic...I'm not but it runs in my family so if I can help maybe prevent from getting it.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

iloveravens
on 8/13/15 4:34 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

I wanted the sleeve because both of my parents had RNY and I saw what I thought were horrible side effects from the surgery.  I've now learned that it is THEIR fault that they have the side effects.  I would see them throwing up a lot, or having terrible bouts of gas or diarrhea and now I realize it's because they eat crap and are probably dumping.  I was so depressed waking up from surgery and learning that my surgeon performed an RNY but guess what?  I've never thrown up, I don't "test the waters" with seeing if I am a dumper, I've seen first hand how people can fail their surgeries.  If you are committed to your new way of eating and can change your relationship with food, you will be successful at either surgery.  That's my opinion anyways :)  Good luck!

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

sor09
on 8/13/15 8:46 pm

Research more to understand WLS. You need to have as much information as possible to make the best decision. This is considered the last road to wellness. RNY or VSG =  both are tools. RNY been around a lot longer than VSG. I am pro RNY because that is what I got. I have seen great results from both, and that being said preparedness makes things work the best. You will never have a perfect long haul with WLS unless you do mind-full eating and exercising too... it takes all the items for success. It's a continuous daily effort to maintain post op for real success. Inn addition, I got RNY since I had GERD issues and more. Post op I don't do or have to do meds for other medical issues or pain... that's why I got RNY too. Both are serious operations and are just different path to better health and better quality of life.

judeloren
on 8/13/15 11:24 pm, edited 8/13/15 11:24 pm

thanks for the reply! my lap band has caused me GERD and that is a big part of why i am considering rny. I have done a lot of research on the facts i am just looking for opinions from people who have actually done it. i might have rheumatoid arthritis so i may have no choice but to try the sleeve.  seems like what people have is what they recommend so i guess both work well with some daily effort.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 299 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 344 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 301 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
Recent Topics