reactive hyperglycemia

crazy4birds
on 9/9/15 11:49 am
RNY on 12/02/14

I read the article on hypoglycemia.  After an incident of shaking and feeling ill after carbs I bought a monitor.  Last night I felt ill after eating some popcorn so I took my blood glucose level.  It was 204 and I didn't feel a crash after. I took it soon after and about an hour after and it just went back to normal.  I was only pre diabetic prior to surgery and the surgery bought my A1C down.  I am confused about this and will be talking to my pcp at my next appt.  I won't be going back to surgeon until Dec.  Any suggestions, ideas?  I know to stay away from carbs and have eaten popcorn with no problem before.  I also chewed some BA chocolate calcium right after so the 2 combined might have been the key.

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130 

White Dove
on 9/9/15 12:00 pm - Warren, OH

Going high right after eating carbs is normal.  After two hours you should be down to 140 or lower. 

To learn your personal patterns, take readings before and after meals for a while, as well as fasting levels.  You will see high numbers right after eating carbs.  That does not always lead to hypoglycemia.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

crazy4birds
on 9/9/15 1:15 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

Oh, ok, thanks

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/9/15 1:42 pm - OH

It is entirely possible that your body just didn't care for the popcorn -- or that you ate too much of it (easy to do with popcorn) -- and that how you felt had nothing to do with RH.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

crazy4birds
on 9/9/15 1:49 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

Yes completely possible.  I have a lot of food sensitivities and corn can be one of them.  thanks

burghblonde
on 9/11/15 8:58 pm
RNY on 05/12/14

I have RH and it tends to hit in the mornings. About an hour after breakfast I can get woozy, lightheaded, shaky...a faint feeling. My doc prescribed me acarbose, however I have learned how to control it on my own. How soon did you feel like this after eating the popcorn? I don't suffer from dumping syndrome but I believe it is a more immediate reaction, or your tummy just simply didn't want the popcorn? I am 16 months out and still am sensitive randomly to foods which typically dont bother me. Happens with eggs on occasion. I don't feel sick, I just feel really full after 2 or 3 bites. Sometimes our pouches just get a bit finicky! 😉

Never Sell Out On Your Heart 

~ Heather~

crazy4birds
on 9/11/15 10:08 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

It was almost right after.  I'm glad I didn't know about this before surgery.  

Most Active
Recent Topics