Stupid choices, but could have been much worse...

Navychic
on 9/26/15 9:37 am, edited 9/26/15 10:19 am
RNY on 02/09/15

So I was out of town traveling for work with a group of four folks and we were sharing a vehicle.  They were at another location during lunch and I hadn't planned thouroughly enough to carry lunch with me. so I ended up skipping... not smart.  After they picked me up I ended up doing a small dinner of half of a chicken Quesadilla. decent option...but I added in one beer, also not smart.  I don't drink at home just because its a social thing with me and I don't get out much and im only six mths out from WLS.  Anyways it wasn't a good day for choices for me and I ended up paying for it.  After I dropped everyone off back at the hotel (and I felt fine so I was driving, it had been over two hrs since I finished the one beer that I was driving) I went to Target by myself to pick up a "miss you" gift for my 5 year old as we were coming home the next morning.  I walked around the store for about an hr. and then I went up to the cash register to pay.  I started to see spots, and I rember thinking I have to find somewhere to sit down, I guess I made it to the door ad then passed out just inside. I guess I came too in about a minute and I felt fine. They had already called an ambulance and the paramedics did an assessment.  They found my blood sugar to be too low and spiked it up with some glucose.  Anyways it all was ok, but wow it haunts me if I had been driving how little notice I had it was coming on.  Weird but I rember another girl on here with a similar story ( I think it was Cspot. run, passing out while going through the checkout in Target) it just a good reminder of how important it is for us to stay on top of our requirements.  I have never felt better, I haven't had any significant issues and I just reached normal BMI, and yet still here I am, they example of a potentially bad situation.

So love your tool, but be mindful, because it can happen to anyone...

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

Maria27
on 9/26/15 10:32 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I'm glad you are ok, but I feel compelled to make a note of something for anyone reading this. You should never rely on how you feel after drinking once you have RNY. Our bodies no longer process alcohol the same, and we should never drive after drinking. I'm sorry to tell you this, but you could have gotten a DWI. Alcohol can remain in our blood for much longer and cause us to fail breathalyzers hours after having just one drink. Maybe someday someone will challenge this in court to get breathalyzers thrown out for us, but I don't recommend taking that risk. Please don't drink even a little and drive after RNY.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

LadyBaltimore
on 9/26/15 10:58 am
RNY on 07/27/15

I'm glad you're okay, Navychic!  *hugs*

Your story is definitely a good reminder to stay on top of our requirements.  I hope you're feeling better.  One thing I keep planning on doing is keeping a low-sugar, high protein bar in my handbag at all times just in case I'm in a situation where I need a meal and don't have access.  Haven't done it yet, though.  *rolls eyes*

I hope the rest of your weekend is restful and healthful!

Mindfulness,

-LB

I've Come Too Far To Take Orders From A Piece of Bread.

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Surgery 7/27/15

44 lbs lost

NYMom222
on 9/26/15 12:51 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Glad you are OK... but I am going to agree with Maria. I was expecting you to say you got a DWI. According to my surgeon, the alcohol stays in your system much longer even if you don't feel 'drunk'. He had one of his patients who drank the night before and then failed a random drug test at his job the next day. He was in jeopardy of losing his job. So be careful out there!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Emiepie
on 9/26/15 7:14 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

Thank you for sharing this story. Very scary situation, glad you're ok!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/26/15 1:30 pm, edited 9/26/15 1:31 pm

Low weight, plus low carbs eating, then skipping a meal, plus the carbs in next meal = severe RH.. 

The spots are from now one of your "workings" that your BS is low. I carry glucose tablets with me all the time. 

And ...peanut M&M - not only have sugar and nuts - but are tasty enough ... And I can get that almost in any store... Eat..then pay... (sometimes when I get really low BS I get aversion to food- weird taste - and at times I had a problem swallowing food to help raise and keep stable my BS) 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

cspotrun
on 9/27/15 6:30 am
RNY on 07/01/14

Yes, it was me that passed out in the Target line.  Good memory!  That was awful.  Wow, I'm glad you're ok and they took care of you.  I carry around almonds and beef jerky now just in case I feel fuzzy.  Sometimes peanut butter also.  But it rarely happens.  I think I was  maybe about 6 months out (or maybe a little less) also when it happened and I remember I never did figure out what caused it.  And it was really quick for me too!  But I did realize after that I wasn't feeling well before, so there were warning signs, but I never thought it would lead to fainting.  My doctor advised to drink milk if I felt like that again, but milk is not easy to carry around LOL.  Take care of yourself!

Karen   

selhard
on 9/26/15 11:58 pm, edited 9/27/15 4:28 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Target Corporate may want to consider posting warning signs:  Beware of WLSers passing out in our stores  

I shop Target about five times a week (edited to admit almost every day) and call myself a Targe-holic.  I raised two daughters to soothe a crying jag with Target Therapy.  Thanks to cspostrun and navychic, I now have a fear of passing out in Target, but will be done in lower BMI sisterhood. 

cspotrun
on 9/27/15 2:15 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

HAHAHAHA thanks for the laugh.  And sorry about the trauma.

Karen   

Navychic
on 9/28/15 11:58 am
RNY on 02/09/15

A young and very sweet understanding Manager (maybe 25ish) was there supervising my "incident" as she talked me through waiting the five minutes for the paramedics.  She told me and them once they arrived, it was a relatively common occurrence in there store.  She herself had had RNY and had lost 165 lbs and had passed out three times in the course of learning how to moderate her habits... hmmm I wonder if its the Target bullseye?

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

Most Active
Recent Topics