Just can't drink one more shake...suggestions?

LynnAlex
on 10/20/15 6:22 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I usually have one Premier protein a day. I have 1/2 for breakfast, and either the other half at night or another whole one if my protein numbers are down.

I use a chai tea bag and the vanilla protein shake. It takes the sweetness away and feels like an exoctic drink. Or, I might heat the chocolate protein up and add a dap of whipped cream for a hot chocolate at night. Again, heating the chocolate protein up, makes it not taste so sweet.

And sometimes, I have no other resort than to drink a protein shake and then have a swig of pickle juice to kill the sweet flavor.

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

White Dove
on 10/20/15 6:35 pm - Warren, OH

I wanted to lose the weight so badly that if they had told me I had drink mudshakes, I think I would have done it. I stayed on daily protein shakes for well over two years. Believe me, protein shakes were a lot worse years ago than they are now.

I did the protein puddings and made protein ice cream every day.

I have containers of Premier in the refrigerator now. They are for "just in case" I need something in a hurry.

I prefer steak now, but I always get my protein in and I have found shakes that I enjoy drinking.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sherrie P.
on 10/20/15 7:19 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

Yeah, you just have to get that protein in.

I hated the shakes too - but recently found Inspire from Bariatric Eating. The Dutch Chocolate Cake was by far the best protein shake I have ever found when mixed with Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Coconut Milk. Delicious. Amazingly.

Unjury chicken soup.

Choke it down. Press on. You can do it!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

NYMom222
on 10/20/15 8:24 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Basically just suck it up and do it. Keep trying different ones until you find one you can tolerate. For me it was the Click and fit frappe mochas that got me through the dog days. Some how the coffee flavor was tolerable. The ready madechoclate premier protein is more tolerable sometimes because it is a thinner consistency. I use to put a little instant coffee in that too. Now I find I actually like it better room temperature and you can heat it up as a hot chocolate.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

siberiancat
on 10/21/15 8:39 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I don't mean this to be harsh - but it really is a first world problem, isn't it??

I drink protein powder or ready to drink daily at 6+ years out. I choose to do it to get all my required protein in. I've experimented and we have the blessing of having so much at our disposal. Blenders, ice cream makers, hundreds of different kinds of whey isolate proteins, 50+ flavors of sugar free syrups. The combinations are endless!

I drink a hot protein drink every morning (pumpkin spice currently) and will make Peppermint Mocha protein after Thanksgiving.

I add protein powder to SF puddings, 0% Fage greek yogurt, make eggface protein ice cream, blend whey isolate with SF flavorings with ice for smoothies. Add to soups, crock pot dishes, etc.

We are so fortunate to have surgery available, and every food, vitamin, mineral, supplements, sugar free ingredients - WE ARE BLESSED!

I often don't want to eat what my body needs - but new cells for your heart, lungs, brain, kidneys, liver, eyes, pancreas, etc. are being made from the "fuel" (nutrition) you put in your body. I want to be healthy, so that means leaving my old morbid obese habits behind. Eating is something I do for health and energy - it's not "sport" for me any more.

Hope you choose to get your protein in even if you are not enjoying it.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

RNY_elizabeth
on 10/22/15 9:40 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

I found something I think will really work for me! Cocotein - by Nature's Best. It is coconu****er based and has 20 grams of protien. I am really feeling like I can do this much better than the milk based shakes.

Thanks for all the advise!

~e

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

LynnAlex
on 10/25/15 10:46 am
RNY on 08/04/15
mamata2
on 10/27/15 7:16 am

The chalkiness is what really got me. At that point I found the Isopure RTD drinks. 40g of protein per bottle and the apple melon flavor was a god send. I always drank it over lots of ice. Also, I found mixing powder into decaf cold coffee helped me get through. Almost like a decaf iced latte (but I loved coffee prior to surgery).

RNY_elizabeth
on 10/28/15 8:45 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Thank you for your suggestion! The Cocotein is fairly similar to the Isopure so I am definately going to try it.

~e

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

sweetpotato1959
on 10/27/15 12:13 pm

Liquidify meat, add a little broth and up your carbs A little..YOU must have some carbs to utilize protein, sounds like your calories are too low...do this for a day and see if it helps.. Sometimes it's not what you are eating, but what you are not. Keep the volume low..try just a few bites, first time. ...been there...done that. 20 yr post op...

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 294 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 287 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 147 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views