Just can't drink one more shake...suggestions?

RNY_elizabeth
on 10/20/15 1:42 pm - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Just getting through two weeks of post op liquid diet. I know that tomorrow when I see my doctor he will tell me to move on to blended and then broader food choices. My worry is that nothing sounds good to eat, I'm not hungry, and I know my body need protien becuase I feel so drained. Shakes would be a good way to keep some protien coming in but they are so terrible. Maybe it is just because that is all I've had for weeks but honestly I just don't think I can choke down another one. I've tried many different types and I can only manage a few sips before I just can't.

Anyone else have this problem? How did you get through it?

Thanks!

~RNY_elizabeth

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

Dcgirl
on 10/20/15 3:17 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I had surgery on December 16, 2013, and I think of that month as "the December I didn't chew" lol. I was soooo sick of protein shakes at that point! Here are some possible ideas:

Unjury chicken soup protein powder OR make chicken base with bullion and add unflavored protein powder (but first whisk it in with cool water since the ho****er will make the powder clump

Ricotta part-skim cheese mixed with italian seasoning (for something savory)

Anything and I mean ANYTHING off of Eggface's website: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/puree d-foods.html

Each program is different but after two weeks I could eat soft foods (I never had a puree stage) so I had egg salad, tuna salad, stuff like that. Please, do not go eat mashed potatoes - your plan may say it's allowed, but focus on protein :) Just my two cents!

Good luck - it gets better, easier, and more and more normal by the day! Keep at it and keep your eye on the prize - feeling healthy and being active is in your future!

RNY_elizabeth
on 10/21/15 9:05 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Thank you so much! I will definitely check out your suggestions.

~e

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/23/15 7:35 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

THis post made me remember that the ricotta/cottage cheese, with a spoon of spaghetti sauce, was my go to favorite. I heated in microwave.

More recently, I discovered ISOPURE clear protein - tastes and looks like Gatorade. Cold and refreshing.

Sharon

rocky513
on 10/20/15 3:43 pm - WI

As much as you hate it... it is VERY important that you get your required protein, so you may just have to suck it up and drink them until you can eat enough to meet your requirement.

Try adding instant coffee, or single packets of water enhancers (like Crystal Light packets that you add to a bottle of water). A squirt or two of MIO works good too.

You can blend your shakes in a blender (or get a Ninja) with a little water and lot of ice until they look like a Frosty from Wendy's. I eat my shakes with a spoon when I make them this way. For some reason, they taste better on a spoon.

Get a cup with a cap on it. Sometimes it's the smell that turns you off and putting a cover on the shake helps with that.

Make "protein coffee" latte. Put your protein powder in the bottom of the cup and add a little lukewarm water. Stir to make a loose paste and then add the hot coffee. If you don't do it in this order, your protein will clump and curdle.... IT'S GROSS!

Are you feeling nauseated after drinking the shakes? Are you mixing them with milk? You may be lactose intolerant and the nausea could be from that. Try using almond milk or cashew milk to see if you feel better drinking them. If you are experiencing excess gas, nausea, and diarrhea, you could be lactose intolerant.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

RNY_elizabeth
on 10/21/15 9:10 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Honestly it really is the taste of all the artificial sweeteners. Prior to surgery I had always avoided any artificial sweeteners because they give me a headache and the taste is not at all good.

I did get some egg & whey based unflavored protein powder and that is much better.

Thank you for your tips! It is so good to hear I'm not alone.

~e

robinreinhardt
on 10/20/15 3:45 pm

I had RNY on Dec. 15, 2014. I love protein and understand after 10 months, if I don't have it I want sugar. Obese habit that I was in.

Keep coming to this site because you will get good advice from the vets.

This site has helped so much. Good luck and do with they say to keep your eyes on the prize.

Robin in Ca.

Eggface
on 10/20/15 4:51 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Remember in order for your body to burn fat it needs to have some fuel... so think as the protein shakes/pureed stuff as kindling to start the fat fires burning ;)

Protein Ice Cream and Pudding are fun ways to change it up...

https://www.pinterest.com/eggface/protein-ice-cream/

and this one is easy... (scroll to last recipe) http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2015/06/birth day-treats-post-weight-loss-surgery.html

For savory... Baked Ricotta was my savior http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/puree d-foods.html

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

RNY_elizabeth
on 10/21/15 9:14 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

So eggs-cited to check out all the great tips and recipes. Thank you!

sqlchick19
on 10/20/15 5:51 pm
RNY on 12/15/14

I was so sick of the thick chocolate shakes too. I discovered Syntrax Nectar protein...and LOVE them. They have a lemon iced tea flavor (just mix with water and tastes like snapple...I actually added a little crystal light lemonade in the beginning to add a little more tartness). I fill up a water bottle with water and I've and a scoop of the Syntrax...and shake to blend.

Also the fuzzy navel (peach) and strawberry kiwi are yummy. They also make a chocolate truffle flavor that's like nestle qwik. I mix it with Fairlife skim milk (high protein milk)....and a little coffee...over ice.

the thing I love most about Syntrax is I can sip them all day....they don't get gross like the thick shakes. If they separate...I just shake up my water bottle to remix.

Banded 12/18/08.  Band removed and revision to RNY on 12/15/14.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 140 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views