Newbie here, 2 weeks post-op, truly blessed!

RLynnLopez
on 10/22/15 10:00 pm

Hi everyone! I've been lurking in the shadows for about a month, so I figured it was time to create an account. I had the gastric bypass surgery on 10/07/15, and am 2 weeks post-op. Yesterday (Thursday), I had my 2 week post-op check-up, and things are going great. I must admit, when I found out I was being switched from liquid diet to soft foods, I felt like it was an early Christmas gift LOL - the 2 hour ride home, I was debating on what to try first, and decided on Tuna. I had bought a ton of the small 2.7 ounce packets of tuna last week, because I had read it was one of the first foods allowed - anyway, I'm suppose to eat 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of food at the time, and it measured out to be a tiny bit over 1/4th a cup. I only ate half of it, and to be honest, as excited as I was to move on to food and add texture to my diet, I was turned off after the first bite. 4 hours later, I measured out some imitation crab, ate half, still turned off by it. 4 hours later, I made some egg salad - and the same thing! I used to love these foods, and now, they either taste weird, or not good at all. Is this normal?

I also am wondering about weight loss - at the first week checkup, I had lost 19lbs, and at my second week, I had lost 10 - is this good progress for the first few weeks? My doctor says they don't look at weight lost until week 6, and then is just to make sure you're on track with the weight loss. Anyways, I'm excited to be here with you guys, and I hope everyone is doing well!!

**I'm looking forward to skinny dipping, cause I'm so tired of chunky dunking**

**You can't really appreciate the love you have for others, until you learn to love yourself**

Dcgirl
on 10/23/15 6:34 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Congrats on making it through the first two weeks - it gets better and better! My first solid foods were egg salad and tuna salad. Some other options are greek yogurt (Dannon Light and Fit greek has the best carb and protein numbers, I have found) and part skim ricotta cheese with italian spices for a savory treat. I also did protein shakes for breakfast for the first year +. My favorite was Chike iced coffee (you can get the canister on amazon). I found my pouch preferred to ease into the day with a liquid and that also gave me 20 g of protein. Now, at almost two years out, I can eat eggs, bacon, cheese, chicken, really anything for breakfast lol.

Don't compare your weight loss to others, since it will totally vary. You are doing awesome, but you may stall at some point (which everyone always freaks out about but be logical - you are eating like 400 calories a day so clearly you aren't going to NOT lose weight). My advice (and everyone is different) - get in all your liquids (try for 80-100 oz a day and yes protein shakes count), and stay high protein, low carb. Carbs are all too easy for me to eat now in maintenance so I am thankful that I was super hardcore in the first year (honeymoon phase) because I was able to lose all the weight I wanted, and now I struggle day to day in maintenance.

I also highly recommend getting a digital kitchen scale. I can't measure food by volume (how does one measure 1/4 cup of chicken breast) and a scale allows you to put the plate on it, and then add egg salad or chicken salad or shrimp or ground turkey or whatever you are eating by ounce. I still weigh my food, two years out, because I suck at eye-balling 3 ounces or 4 ounces or whatever I am eating.

Tracking has helped me too - I use MyFitnessPal.

I weigh everyday (for accountability and so my weight gain doesn't get out of control) but many others do it once a week. It's all what you like.

Here are my posts along the way in case they are interesting for you. Good luck and congrats on taking this great step towards good health!

100 lbs: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/5250347/Century-Club-in-4-months-and-4-days-my-story/

200 lbs: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/5275149/Down-201-lbs-b efore-and-after-pic/

Goal: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/5278769/I-made-goal-An d-now-the-hard-part-begins/

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/23/15 7:24 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

How much sodium is in the foods that you are using? At first, I poached my fish, etc, and did not use a lot of processed foods for the soft foods - there is enough sodium in the protein shakes.

Sharon

RLynnLopez
on 10/23/15 8:43 am

Thank you so much for the great info DCgirl!! I've read so many great posts on this forum, peoples victories, as well as their struggles, and I really like to pay attention to it all. I know there will be hard times, and I can honestly say that even my first 2 weeks I had hit a 2 day depression and just reading posts here, helped me through it. I knew then, that there was no sense in lurking any longer, it was time to join the family . I surely will go look at your progress, I love watching how the body transforms. Congrats on your change - I hope to be there someday down the road!!

As far as sodium goes, I haven't really checked - my dietician has not mentioned anything about sodium intake, just gave me a list of foods I am allowed to eat, and explained how I can make them (ex. Eggs, Tuna salad, Chicken salad ect.).

Well, ladies, (and gents), I have a few things to do around the house before these 4 kiddos of mine get home from school, but I surely hope you all have a wonderful and blessed afternoon!!

**You can't really appreciate the love you have for others, until you learn to love yourself**

robinreinhardt
on 10/24/15 2:24 pm

Bless you too! You sure have your hands full with 4 kids. Thanks for your posts.

Robin

hollykim
on 10/23/15 3:39 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 23, 2015 at 5:00 AM Pacific Time, RLynnLopez wrote:

Hi everyone! I've been lurking in the shadows for about a month, so I figured it was time to create an account. I had the gastric bypass surgery on 10/07/15, and am 2 weeks post-op. Yesterday (Thursday), I had my 2 week post-op check-up, and things are going great. I must admit, when I found out I was being switched from liquid diet to soft foods, I felt like it was an early Christmas gift LOL - the 2 hour ride home, I was debating on what to try first, and decided on Tuna. I had bought a ton of the small 2.7 ounce packets of tuna last week, because I had read it was one of the first foods allowed - anyway, I'm suppose to eat 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of food at the time, and it measured out to be a tiny bit over 1/4th a cup. I only ate half of it, and to be honest, as excited as I was to move on to food and add texture to my diet, I was turned off after the first bite. 4 hours later, I measured out some imitation crab, ate half, still turned off by it. 4 hours later, I made some egg salad - and the same thing! I used to love these foods, and now, they either taste weird, or not good at all. Is this normal?

I also am wondering about weight loss - at the first week checkup, I had lost 19lbs, and at my second week, I had lost 10 - is this good progress for the first few weeks? My doctor says they don't look at weight lost until week 6, and then is just to make sure you're on track with the weight loss. Anyways, I'm excited to be here with you guys, and I hope everyone is doing well!!

yes it is normal and we just have to eat anyway, or we die. Imitation crab meat is full of sugar. I would eat real crab or none of it at all.

RLynnLopez
on 10/23/15 6:17 pm

Eat or die - never looked at it like that, thanks lol. As for the imitation crab, I could have swore when I bought it, it was less than 1 gram of sugar, but it's actually 5 - and the carbohydrates aren't great either - thanks for making me double check. that's what we're here for after all, the support system right? God bless all!

robinreinhardt
on 10/24/15 2:20 pm

RLynn,

Congratulations! You are doing so well for 2 weeks out. Hang in there, its

going to get better as time goes on. That's a great weight loss.

Robin

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 99 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 369 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 368 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 310 views