5 weeks post-op, what I have learned thus far..

RLynnLopez
on 11/12/15 12:47 pm

Okay, I just wanted to share some things with those who are newly post-op, or about to undergo surgery soon. I didn't know this forum existed before surgery, if so, I would have been better off lol. I know not everyone is the same, but one of my biggest problems since surgery, is the "uncomfortable feeling" in my pouch what seems, EVERYTIME I eat something. It almost seems like every bite taken, causes an uncomfortable feeling, or a "tolerable" pain. I can chew my food into ity bity pieces, it doesn't matter, the problem persists.

I have a hard time getting all my fluids in - doctor says 64oz of fluid, and my body longs for it, but I haven't gotten used to having to constantly sip all day long to get them in.

Lastnight, I discovered that when I am full after dinner (of course I eat much less than my kids and husband, and I get fuller much quicker then them also), the sight of food, and even the smell of dinner lingering through the house makes me sick to my stomach.

I know that my pouch is new, and it's going to take some time getting used to - and everything at this point is trial and error. However, I don't think my new pouch likes me LOL I mean, I know my pouch will thank me later when it's holder (my body) is in a much healthier, and smaller state - but right now, my pouch makes me miserable everytime something enters it. I feel like a newly pregnant woman, who has a bad case of the "sickness" - everything makes me gag, by sight, by smell - it can be something as simple as a fragranced candle, or a can of wet cat food lol.

I am loving life to the fullest, it's totally amazing how 5 weeks after surgery can make such a huge impact on someone's life, I'm so looking forward to the rest of my life. I'm more active with my kids, and their chores are mostly my chores now, I love that - This surgery had given me so much already (of course with the help of myself lol), I was ashamed to ask my kids for everything because I didn't have enough energy to do it myself, and now I'm able to allow them to be what they are - KIDS...

I'm excited to live life for the first time in several years !!

**I'm looking forward to skinny dipping, cause I'm so tired of chunky dunking**

**You can't really appreciate the love you have for others, until you learn to love yourself**

Kathy S.
on 11/12/15 12:54 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi RLynn,

You may not want to highlight your text with such a day glow color it makes it kinda  hard to read  As you said, remember you are only a few weeks out. Everything is new and still swollen.  I too had a hard time getting in my water and could only eat a teaspoon or more.  Take it one day at a time and you will get better and better

We look forward to your updates!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Thomas H.
on 11/12/15 1:04 pm - Saint Petersburg, FL

I felt the same way right after my surgery, it seemed that everything I put in my new stomach made it cramp and feel bloated. I was scared it was going to be like this forever. But I almost 4 months out now and my new tummy has finally settled down, it does fine as long as I don't overdo it. Trust me weigh your food, eyeballing it get you in trouble. 

I do have my days where I eat something that was fine before and suddenly it comes right back up, but those few and far between now. I am getting used to my new normal. You will too. 

"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor." - Alexis Carrel

RLynnLopez
on 11/12/15 1:05 pm

Kathy, I am sorry - I just wanted it to look pretty - but definitely understand how it could be hard to read LOL - so I'm sorry for that, and thank you for pointing it out so I know better next time. Yes, all these years I was controlling what went in my stomach, and now my new pouch controls what stays in it lol

**I'm looking forward to skinny dipping, cause I'm so tired of chunky dunking**

**You can't really appreciate the love you have for others, until you learn to love yourself**

SkinnyScientist
on 11/13/15 4:10 am

As you get further out..you will become better at listening to your body.  Keep within the prescribed proportions on those "hungry" days to avoid overfilling..but further out post op, it is OK NOT to want to eat all your food (think the year out mark).

Always...always always remember your supplements adn vitamins

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active
Recent Topics