racing heart after eating?

jaifra78
on 11/16/15 8:36 am
RNY on 04/16/14

Hi, I have a problem that recently started. Here is some background about me, I am 19 months post op and have lost 200 pounds I am at a healthy weight for my height (5'10" 180 pounds) I am In maintenance I have added some oatmeal and popcorn to my diet but recently after I eat either of these I get a racing heartbeat and feeling like I need to take deep breaths kind of a jittery feeling like I had way to much caffeine. I have been eating these foods for awhile and never felt this way before Its kind of all of a sudden that these side effects are manifesting. Anyone have any insight as to what might be happening?   

White Dove
on 11/16/15 9:45 am - Warren, OH

It is called dumping.  For me it gets worse every year and more foods will cause it. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jaifra78
on 11/16/15 9:56 am
RNY on 04/16/14

So it won't get better just worse? must I give up my popcorn and oatmeal? cause if that's the case then its getting really hard to find foods that I can eat without getting sick or dumping, even vegetables don't agree with me. I think maybe I might try just meat for awhile and see how It goes and maybe try the problem foods again down the road. 

Grim_Traveller
on 11/16/15 10:22 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Look ip reactive hypoglycemia. It seems to match your symptoms, and happens at about your timeframe. 

Try meals of protein only, and see if you have sypmtoms. Then add in carbs, and see if it happens again.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

NYMom222
on 11/16/15 10:34 am
RNY on 07/23/14

If you are eating popcorn and oatmeal alone with no protein it does make a difference in how we absorb it. It could be either scenario mentioned, need to do some investigating. I realize popcorn isn't something you can add protein to, but you can stir protein powder and benefiber into Oatmeal, and it might make a difference in how you digest it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

White Dove
on 11/16/15 1:34 pm - Warren, OH

With popcorn I cut up some cheddar cheese and eat it with the popcorn.  Popcorn is rare for me, a few times a year, but I have not dumped doing it that way.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jaifra78
on 11/16/15 2:09 pm
RNY on 04/16/14

I had so popcorn earlier and had a light and fit greek yogurt with it and didn't get the fast heartbeat. so I guess if I want to have popcorn then I will need some protein with it. thanks for all the suggestions. white dove I am also going to try the cheese with it to see if that works too plus it just sounds yummy :) I don't know what kind of protein I can have with oatmeal because I have tried to put protein powder in it and it was gross. 

sweetpotato1959
on 11/16/15 9:48 pm

Yes, White dove is right, that is the first symptoms of dumping.

You can minimize, by reducing the portion. Back it off to half serving of what-ever the trigger food is. Sometimes there is one other symptom, that we can easily choose to ignore... ever have something that makes you think?..."that bite was too sweet." Stop eating it immediately, and eat a protein serving.Sometimes you will catch the response before it goes into dumping.

See if you can trouble shoot the item, to determine what  about it is triggering...Usually it is carbs processed too rapidly.. 

Think.. Oatmeal? How are you preparing it? Do you use a natural sweetner or a chemical one? Do you use any fats in it? What can you do to slow the processing of it?

here are some things I've done with oatmeal to reduce my reaction. I cook my regular oatmeal with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, (healthy choice that nourishes the brain, and takes longer to digest), it also keeps it from sticking.( I make a full portion, only put half in bowl at one time.).I use natural organic stevia only.The other sweetners hurt my guts and give me a whole different problem... I eat half, with some kind of protein, (natural peanut butter would be a good choice, or nuts), wait 30 minutes to 45 min, and eat the other half if still hungry.    Hope these tips help,

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 313 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 330 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 282 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 448 views