1 week post op and sad

Leah P.
on 11/29/15 1:58 pm
with

hi everyone! 

Well tomorrow marks 1 week post op for me. I was so excited to have the surgery and still am, just having some difficulties. I have lost 11lbs which is absolutely insane and wonderful. Here is the difficult part tho... I can't drink water, well I can, it just irritates me. I was an avid water drinker before surgery but now have no desire to drink it. It's like anytime I eat or drink it causes discomfort so I would just rather not do it. I know that is so unhealthy but i can't physically force myself to drink it. As far as eating, I do force myself to eat because I do feel hungry but even at that it's very small amounts. I realize it's only been a week and I shouldn't expect all these changes to happen overnight, for goodness sakes I still have my staples in lol! I just was so mentally prepared for drinking lots of water, taking vitamins, and consuming all this protein that I feel like I am failing because I can't do it. I just need some encouragement if anyone has any to share. Thank you!

Sherrie P.
on 11/29/15 4:17 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

You can go a month without food.... but less than 3 days withou****er.  You have to drink SOMETHING. You most certainly do not want to end up in the hospital dehydrated. Search this site for dehydrated and read a few "I ended up in the ER" stories.

You CAN do this. If you can't you have a stricture and should see your doctor.

This is the hard part ... it does get better, but it won't get better if you get dehydrated.

You can do it. You really can.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Leah P.
on 11/29/15 9:43 pm
with

I really appreciate what you said. I can do this. I really can! Thank you!

RNY: 11/23/2015

HW:284  SW:280  

"I may not be there yet, but, I'm closer today than I was yesterday."

caliannie
on 11/29/15 4:46 pm - CA
RNY on 04/14/15

I'm only 7 months post-surgery but I was cleaning up today and ran across my journal today. I started a journal to follow my progress from deciding to have surgery, through the insurance ups and downs, surgery & post-op. I haven't journaled in a few months mainly because I find more satisfaction coming here. I struggled with water too and everyone here had great tips. What worked for me was warm herbal tea, Crystal Light and later water with lemon. I asked my nutritionist about the problem with plain ice water and she said it is not uncommon because the pH balance in our system has changed, that's why the Crystal Light, flavored herbal teas, and lemon in water go down easier. I still have a little trouble with plain water. Don't get discouraged. You are on track where you are supposed to be. One step at a time. The first 3 months my surgeon stressed getting the fluids in and the importance of staying hydrated and increasing my protein. Once I was able to transition to regular food I was able to increase my protein intake to the level he wanted. I do have to have a protein shake in the morning to help meet my protein goals but I look at it as the substitute for my morning coffee and it doubles as fluid intake also. The first month I think is the hardest just trying to get your protein, water and vitamins in, but it soon becomes part of your daily routine. Everyone here will tell you things will get better and when you're in the middle of the first few (new) weeks it's hard to see but it is true. Find a protein powder you like (I like the Syntrax Matrix powders, they mix well) and get creative with shakes and smoothies. Stock up on Crystal Light and Sugar Free Popsicles. There were times when the only thing that worked were the popsicles. I find even now when my stomach is upset a popsicle or two helps calm things down, I don't know why. Don't get  discouraged. You're on track and experiencing everything your supposed to be experience, just like the rest of us. Keep coming back here too. There is good advice and encouragement from those who are newbies like me to those who have years under their belt.

Carpe Diem!

Height: 5'5"  HW: 237 SW: 237 CW:138 GW: 134   M1: -31  M2: -14  M3:-12  M4: -10  M5: -10  M6: -5 M7: -4 M8: -5 M9: -5 M10: -2 M11: M12: -1

Leah P.
on 11/29/15 9:46 pm
with

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm going to go to the store (rather send my husband to the store) and pick up some Popsicles and a few.other suggestions you and others have made. I just need a little encouragement and you helped provide that and I am so grateful. Thank you sincerely. 

rocky513
on 11/29/15 4:53 pm - WI

It doesn't have to be plain water.  You can add calorie free water enhancers like Crystal Lite or MIO.  Drink hot herbal teas.  Any fluid counts toward your 64 ounces, even your protein shakes count.  I couldn't drink anything too cold.  I had to experiment with different temperatures and flavors until I found one that worked for me.  What I liked pre-op, I hated post-op.  Don't give up!  Dehydration is a big deal.  If you don't get your fluids in orally, You will end up in the ER and they will force fluids through a needle into a vein.  Dehydration is usually the main culprit if you are experiencing nausea too.

Sip. Sip, Sip.... all day long if you have to.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Leah P.
on 11/29/15 9:49 pm
with

I was drinking hot tea in the hospital and it really satisfied me. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Thank you for that suggestion and reminder ? and I have definitely noticed my preop and post op cravings are very different. This is going to just be trial and error like you said until I figure out what truly helps me. Thank you for taking time to reply. 

Leah P.
on 11/29/15 5:46 pm
with

Thank you all for your kind words. I go to the Dr tomorrow and plan on mentioning my feelings but I will also try all of your suggestions as well. I am taking in fluids because I'm still on the liquid diet so I'm not worried about dehydration... Yet, but I know if I don't correct my path it may become an issue. Its such a huge rollar coaster and it feels like all of this is overwhelming. I feel like my entire day is consumed with eating and drinking. I'm just frustrated. I'm sure everyone has been here at one point or another. Thank you so much for listening and caring enough to reply.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/30/15 4:42 am, edited 11/29/15 8:40 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Lots of us do not tolerate actual water.  Iced tea, etc., work better. Small sips, wait 5 to 10 min, sip again.

You are 1 week after major surgery, you would feel poorly if you had gall bladder surgery. 

Hang in there!!

Sharon

Juliek7312
on 11/30/15 5:09 am

I pretty much lived on warm mint tea the first couple weeks. regular water/cold flavored water just made me sick. The warm tea felt like heaven on my stomach. I also noticed that if I took too big of sips I would get sick as well. I just kept a shot glass with me and poured my tea into it. That way I knew I couldnt take too big of a drink. The first few weeks are the hardest, stay strong! You CAN do this! Also don't forget to walk walk walk :)

Height: 5'5" HW: 370 SW: 363 CW: 177 RNY: 4/28/15

Most Active
Recent Topics