Hunger pains

Leah P.
on 12/2/15 4:16 pm
with

Hi everyone! I have a question, does anyone experience hunger pains after RNY? I was told that the portion they remove of the stomach contains the hunger hormone The reason I ask is because I do feel hungry at times. I'm trying to decipher if it's a mental hunger or a physical hunger. I'm only a week and a half out from my surgery so I'm still learning all of these things. Mentally I have to change a lot so that's why I'm wondering if it could be a mental hunger.

RNY: 11/23/2015

HW:284  SW:280  

"I may not be there yet, but, I'm closer today than I was yesterday."

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/2/15 4:23 pm

They typically do not remove the rest of the stomach in RNY... did they remove yours? why? 

And a first few days post op - what you dealing with is either head hunger - ... or acid... are you on PPI? 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Leah P.
on 12/2/15 4:32 pm
with

No, they didn't remove it. I guess the better way to word that would have been the part they disconnected. Because is pretty much useless now. I'm not familiar with PPI, what is that?

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/2/15 4:37 pm

Proton-Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) http://www.medicinenet.com/proton-pump_inhibitors/article.ht m

Meds that reduces production of acids in your stomach..

a lot of docs put people on PPI for the first 3-6 months post op.. Sometimes too much acid =hunger... 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/2/15 4:42 pm

o.. the the remnant is not useless.. it will wake up eventually and make more hunger hormones.. at least for some of us. 

Plus is makes digestive juices that flowing into small intestines ... that's why it calls a bypass.. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=rny+surgery+diagram&espv=2&b iw=894&bih=524&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiDw8ekur 7JAhUD5SYKHXSlBIUQ_AUIBigB

Leah P.
on 12/2/15 5:22 pm
with

Oh ok. That all makes sense and no I don't have a PPI. They put me on omeprozol, an antacid, for 6 months. I keep forgetting to take it though. Maybe this will help me remember so I don't get hungry.

I knew that the remnant produces enzymes and that's why they leave it but I didn't know it could make me feel hungry. That's good to know. 

Thanks for all your help!

rocky513
on 12/2/15 5:27 pm - WI

Omeprozole is a PPI.  You need to be taking it daily.  Stomach acid mimics hunger and can cause ulcers in a new pouch.  Put the bottle by your hair and TAKE THEM.  Your doctor prescribed them for a reason.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

rocky513
on 12/2/15 5:28 pm - WI

*chair*  oops

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Juliek7312
on 12/3/15 5:02 am

i definetely imagined tying a little pouch to my ponytail :P

Height: 5'5" HW: 370 SW: 363 CW: 177 RNY: 4/28/15

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/3/15 9:11 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Nah keep it by your HAIR, you'll never forget it! 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active
Recent Topics