Bra troubles...for the ladies

crazy4birds
on 12/7/15 3:20 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

Not sure where to post this and if it's TMI but it's not like I can ask on facebook.  I live in a very rural area and there are no large department stores around just Walmart and Kmart.  I am having trouble finding a good bra.  I have gone down substantially in size but when I find a bra that seems to fit I go home lean over and fall out.  (I guess I should have thought to do this in the changing room) Any suggestions on whether to go up in cup size and down in circumference?  I've tried the genie bras and all they do iis flatten me.  Trying to find something flattering that is also for a mature woman. 

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130 

Marianne H.
on 12/7/15 4:47 pm - Alanson, MI
Revision on 03/31/15

Playtex play full figure bras are great. They give a nice shape with good support, have wide comfy straps, and are full coverage whch helps prevent bra roll. Try it :)

Maria27
on 12/7/15 5:41 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I am having the same problem. The best bra I have right now is sweet nothings by maidenform from Walmart. Get the cups bigger than you think you need, and then tighten the straps all the way. It works for now, and it was like $10. Going down in circumference only makes the problem worse.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

NYMom222
on 12/7/15 6:11 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I stuck with the same cup size even though I don't fill it out the same and went down in band size. Probably pre-surgery I should have been buying a bigger cup size but didn't. I found a few good bras that worked for me and then found I could buy them cheap on Amazon. So I kept re-buying them in smaller sizes.

If you put things in your cart and save for later, you can keep checking the prices, they do fluctuate. I've gotten this bra from anywhere from $16 to $20

Playtex

Vanity Fair

As long as you buy one actually sold by Amazon they have free returns if it doesn't work out.

I have also been buying bras from Soma store. They sell online as well. They have ones they run all the time at 2 for $60, and sometimes I can get a coupon on top of that - so about $22-23 sometimes. I've also bought clearance bras for about $15. One time when I went into the Soma store, I was in between sizes, but didn't want to buy the bigger size knowing I was losing weight. The salesclerk suggested the smaller size with those bra extenders. It worked like a charm, I used them on the bra until I lost more weight. It was great because it meant I got much longer use out of the bra.

I know we all are trying to stay cheap as we lose weight, but I'd rather have fewer bras but good ones....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

selhard
on 12/8/15 2:38 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

What part of your post is TMI?  That you live in a very rural area? ha. A friendly suggestion to go down in circumference and to wear a wired bra because both will help with lift.  I order Playtex Style# 4422 from JCP online when there is a sale and promo code never paying the $38 regular price.  Now, here's some real TMI for you---once in a while, mine try to escape under the wire leaving me no choice but to reach inside the bra and hoist them back in place making sure the nips are positioned in the proper place and not off to one side.

aesposito
on 12/8/15 5:02 am

I do better with bras that have a lot of wide elastic between the cups... no tiny, lacy connections in the middle... and cups that extend higher up the chest... no push-ups...

I had to try several different kinds before I found one (Galligan and O'Malley I believe is the brand... super cheap at walmart or target or something) that allowed me to roll up my boobs, stuff them in, and function all day.

Some day I'll get them done... until then, when I am braless, they look like tube socks with tennis balls at the bottom...

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Juliek7312
on 12/8/15 5:10 am

I have bra troubles too :( I have always had large bitties but now that ive gone down in band size ive gone up in cup sizes :/ Its almost comical. Get a measuring tape and find out how many inches your bust size is more than your band size to figure out your new cupsize. It is more than likely not the same as you used to wear.

Height: 5'5" HW: 370 SW: 363 CW: 177 RNY: 4/28/15

Pokemom
on 12/8/15 5:31 am
RNY on 12/29/14

I agree with the advice to shop pnline.  many places offer free shipping, and returns are often just $7 for an entire box.  Like NY mom said, Amazon is great to work with--always check the returns info, though.   I think Kohls has a great selection.  I usually buy my bras at the local Kohls store.  I have always wanted to shop bras with Title 9--their catalog is awesome.

Before WLS, I usually chose Olga minimizer bras. These are not great for me right now.  But I did have a couple of Vanity Fair ones lurking in my drawer, from a time when I had weighed a little less than when I had surgery.

These  Vanity Fair bras (I have two of the same style) have been my favorites since WLS!  I love them.  They are very supportive, and shape well, and are super comfy. My favorite bras ever. I am not finding them online (like I said, they are several years old), but I did find something similar at Kohls online.

This link is for the bra I like--discontinued at Amazon--but this way you can see a photo.  Then if interested, look online at Kohls for something similar from Vanity Fair.

Vanity Fair Body Sculpt Bra

crazy4birds
on 12/8/15 1:17 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

You guys are too funny.  At least I'm not alone with trying to find a good home for my deflated balloons.

kim_pei
on 12/9/15 2:45 am - Canada

I am 6 months out and lost 110 lbs...I know what you mean...i was a 44 ddd and now a 38 dd.  I found a gorgeous bra at sears and you can get them on sale for 17.00 right now on sale...the are wonder bra underwire satin minimizers...they give you a fabulous lift and shape and makes me feel very womanly lol. Ohh I am 51 and have gone from a size plus 26 to a 16...trust me when i tell you without a good bra...its a mess lol

Most Active
Recent Topics