sleeve to RNY revision

amystimetoshine
on 12/28/15 7:35 pm - Pleasant Hill, CA

Hi,    I had a sleeve 5 years ago and have lost and maintained about 175 lb loss.   Never quite made it to my goal wt (about 20 lbs away.)  Anyway, my revision is because of very severe GERD that is giving me many aspiration pneumonias and esophageal ulcers.  My surgery is next Monday 1/4/16.   Starting to get nervous!!!!  After all these years I have down many of the habits (protein first, low carb, chewing well, no grazing)  still working on spacing the drinking far enough apart from food but making progress!

Do any off you have any ideas for the first couple weeks?  What to bring to the hospital?  Any unflavored proteins you like?  Has anyone tried any of the inspire proteins?  

I am also wondering about calories.  My surgeon and nut just gave me the binder they give people who are just starting out with wt loss.  I work out 6 days a week between 60-75 min a day and do intense weight training.  At this time I try and eat 100-130 gm protein/day and keep my carbs under 100, prob about 1300-1400 calories/day.   I have been wt stable for most of this year.  A lot of my calories because of my complications are liquid protein or very soft protein foods.  I don't know what level of calories and protein I should be at to start losing again.  I thought I might try the 600-800 I did for the main losing phase after the sleeve.... but seriously with my w/out schedule which is way more than it was when I first started on the journey, is that even safe?   I have my pre op appt on Wed and I will run these questions by my surgeon, but any thoughts?  Thanks!   Amy

HW 319   SW  277  CW 180  GW 169
H.A.L.A B.
on 12/29/15 3:15 am

First few weeks after surgery you may not be able to exercise.  Forget weight lifting. Walking may be only one that you would be able to do safely. 

It was over 6 weeks before I was allow to do more than walking.

Initially you pouch will be swollen so drinking and getting enough water would be your priority. 

Getting enough proteins will be second.. 

Good luck. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 12/29/15 8:11 am - Warren, OH

If you eat less calories than you burn, your body is forced to burn its fat to make up the difference.  This is fine until you get to less than 18 BMI.  I stayed between 300-600 calories a day for the first months and worked up to 800-900.  I still go back to 900 if I want to lose weight.  I maintin at 1400.  I never adjust calories for exercise. 

I just bought a Garmin Index scale.  It gives me weight, BMI, body fat percentage, muscle weight and bone weight.  I wish I had something like that when I started out.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics