measuring success

chulbert
on 1/15/16 6:19 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I miss your posts, Kelly, but I'm glad you're doing well!

Pokemom
on 1/15/16 9:26 am
RNY on 12/29/14

I loved reading this.  Thank you so much.  I love the outdoors, and I love hearing about other people's activities there.  

I have so much sadness related to being active outdoors.  Until about 10 years ago, I was a very active person.  Though overweight, I was strong and active and got so much joy out of being outside.  Then I had a series of injuries, and one--an Achilles Tendon rupture--is chronic.  Even having lost nearly 100 pounds, I am still in significant pain most of the time, and this limits my ability to exercise.  When I do do active things, I am later in increased pain for some time.

For me, if I could do that hike you describe, it would be a success that I would weep over.  What a gift it is to us when we can romp like our dogs. 

billmacc7
on 1/15/16 10:28 am - MA

Thank you for posting glad to hear you're doing well love your posts as they are always thoughtful and helpful!

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/15/16 11:44 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am happy to "see" you Kelly.  You've been missed.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/16 12:10 pm

Glad to see you posted Kelly. I was wondering how you were doing. I think that is so true about the scale. I would like mine to be lower but I know I will get there. 

I think it is great that you are hiking everyday that is a great victory. 

Laura in Texas
on 1/15/16 12:50 pm

I am glad to hear you are doing so well, Kelly. I am happy you have found what works for you.

I'll admit I am one who does rely on the number on the scale. The number is important to me. I have too many friends who had weight loss surgery the same time as me who have gained a ton back. I know myself. If I let 5 or 10 pounds slip back on (and pretend to be OK with that), it would cause me to snowball back to over 300 pounds. Mentally that was not a good place for me so the scale is my friend. It keeps me on track and that makes me feel better.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

poet_kelly
on 1/15/16 12:57 pm - OH

i'm not pretending to be OK with being five pounds over goal.  I really am OK with it.  And the fact that I am five pounds over goal does not mean I am going to snowball up to 300 lbs.  Maybe it would mean that for you, but it certainly doesn't have to.

Anyway, you can choose to measure success however you like.  I'm going to measure it by my accomplishments, not but a number on the scale.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Laura in Texas
on 1/15/16 2:21 pm

I was sharing my experience. I did not say you felt the same way. There was no reason to get offended.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Momma2nicknmike
on 1/16/16 8:38 am - Beavercreek, OH

Hi Kelly!  Always nice to "see" you!  I think we live near each other.  Have you been hiking at John Bryant State park?

Lynne    

Most Active
Recent Topics