RNY what keeps you from regaining?

Ereiam
on 1/17/16 5:36 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

I have my consultation with a surgeon on 1/20. I will be asking this question there as well but wanted to ask some of the veterans here... What keeps you from eventually regaining the weight with RNY? Everyone I talk to about it tells me that "everybody" gains it back. 

I have lost 100 pounds at least three times as an adult and always regain it. What makes RNY different? I want so much to succeed!!!

karenp8
on 1/17/16 5:53 pm - Brighton, IL

It is possible to regain with RNY,but because I now have a small pouch that holds only about a cup of food instead of a football sized stomach it is easier to keep the weight off. I am satisfied on a very small amount of food for the first time in my life. However if I were to fill up on carbs or drink with my meals or eat too frequently throughout the day,regain would be possible. Planning and wise choices will always part of my life I think. I lost 150 pounds after being obese my life and have kept it off for over 2 years. 

peachpie
on 1/17/16 7:20 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Diligent, consistent effort. 

One thing I consistently read when people come back with regain is that they "got comfortable",'life got in the way' and 'bad habits snuck back in' 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

NYMom222
on 1/17/16 8:33 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

It is a tool, not magic. You still have to follow the rules and get support. You can't fall into the delusion that you are normal. But better to be watching what you eat thin than obese.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

White Dove
on 1/17/16 9:22 pm - Warren, OH

Nothing in the surgery keeps me from regaining.  The malabsorption goes away and the small pouch grows big enough to handle a lot of food.

What RNY did is gave me an opportunity to get on a level playing field with people who are not suffering from the disease of obesity.  Now I have the ability to catch a weight gain when it is three or five pounds and work hard to get back to goal.  Just like "normal" people do.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

JA
on 1/18/16 3:13 am - East Haven, CT

So true!

Ladytazz
on 1/17/16 9:58 pm

I also lost 100+ lbs in my life more times than I can count.  And I always swore that I wouldn't gain the weight back.  And of course I always did.

I knew what needed to be done to maintain.  I even managed to maintain for a few months a few times.  But I would start eating larger amounts and than just a bite of this and a taste of that and before I knew it I was back where I started, or heavier.

I knew I was addicted to certain foods but I also knew I was addicted to large amounts of food.  No matter what I ate I always worried it wouldn't be enough.

I also had a fear of hunger.  I don't know why because I never stopped eating enough to experience real hunger but the thought of not being able to eat for an extended period of time put me in a panic.  If it was an hour until dinner I had to eat something to hold me over.  

Now I am able to not just know what I need to eat but actually follow it.  I don't experience hunger the same way and I am easily satisfied with smaller amounts of food.  I am able to make better choices because my judgement isn't clouded by hunger or fear of hunger.

I also dump when I have sugar which I found out when I accidentally had some.  That is enough to make me stay away from sweets.  There are enough sugar free options out there that I don't feel deprived in the least.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

selhard
on 1/18/16 12:18 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

1.  Knowing RNY is my last-ditch effort  2. Knowing the tool of WLS gives me ammo like never before  3.  Knowing there are select people waiting with anticipation for me to gain it back   4.  Knowing I owe many to live right  5.  Knowing I want to die at peace with myself

JA
on 1/18/16 3:12 am - East Haven, CT

Great facts!!

HFA70
on 1/19/16 9:55 am

I too have people waiting for me to fail.  2 1\2 years out, I have maintained my weight for a year.  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 318 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 297 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 252 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 322 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 149 views
Recent Topics