So inspired, but still struggling

April Parker
on 1/24/16 12:54 pm - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

I am due for my 3rd WLM appointment on Feb 9th, and along with that, setting up my Psych appointments. Also I start to get all my records and stuff ready on that date. I made it  early in the month because I may have to postpone the appointment and I dont want to skip a month and start all over. (Again) I lost my job and may not get my w2s in time to get my tax return to pay for it all. (My ins doesn't cover the WLM appointments at $35 a piece, or the Psych appointments $250 for 6 appointments in total. So it depends on money but I am NOT allowing that to stop me, I will find the money if I have to borrow it and pay it back from tax refund.

As the title suggests, I am so inspired, from looking at all the pictures on here. So much progress. I can do that. But I never really thought I was addicted to food. Until I try to eat healthy. :( Well, eating healthy is expensive for one. But its skipping on the cheap, bad stuff thats hard. Spaghettios are a buck. Ramen noodles. (I haven't been getting these lately, dont worry, just trying to give examples) Pre-packaged meals like even Lean Cuisine are bad for you. I've been having leftover chili beans and vegetable soup forever, lol.

Anyone have any options for the healthier side of budget dieting? lol 

Thank you all for posting here, and posting pics too. Keep it up!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/24/16 3:02 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Chicken and ham are really inexpensive, and perfect WLS foods. All protein, low calories, and keep you full for a long time. Get a whole chicken or ham, cook it and measure it out into single portions, and freeze. You'll get about a million portions.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Maria27
on 1/24/16 4:14 pm, edited 1/24/16 8:16 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I did not have to go to all of those appointments. Perhaps you can find a different surgeon that does not require you to go to a bunch of appointments that your insurance doesn't cover. Don't do anything to jeopardize the process you have started, but please know that a different surgeon may not make you pay so much out of pocket. It might be worth it to look into other surgeons.

Here are my tips for saving money on eating healthy:

1) Find out when there are regular sales. I know two groceries stores in my area that have rotisserie chickens on sale every Monday.

2) When I see spiral cut ham on sale, I buy one and freeze it in small portions.

3) Learn how to make your own greek yogurt, or at least buy the big container and add your own toppings.

4) Dried beans, eggs, and carrots almost always inexpensive.

5) Buy all of your cheese in blocks. It is usually cheaper that way. Paying someone to shred or slice your cheese is a waste of money.

6) Only buy fruit that is in season. There are always sales on fruit that is in season, so I never buy fruit out of season. Generally, at the beginning of the year citrus fruits are in season, which slowly turns to berries, then melons, and then to apples in the fall.

7) Check the price of dried goods on Amazon. I have found protein bars, chia seeds, and pb2 on Amazon for cheaper than in the store.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

karenp8
on 1/24/16 4:31 pm - Brighton, IL

I shop manager clearance areas in the store for good deals on meat. Often these are items that have a sell by date in the next day but if you take them home and freeze them that sell by date no longer matters. I have bought pork chops,boneless skinless chicken thighs and even salmon for about half the price doing this at Walmart. I never ever buy meat that is not on sale as we are on fixed income but I always manage to eat well and took off all of my excess weight and have kept it off 2 years. Plus after surgery I eat so much less that most times my husband and I can share one steak and we both get plenty to eat. I use veggies that are seasonal or large packages of frozen ones that I put into smaller baggies in meal size portions. Hope this helps!

acbbrown
on 1/24/16 5:57 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I've been cooking slow cooker meals from this website called budget bytes. Maybe check it out. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

supershopper
on 1/24/16 5:58 pm

Stick to low fat meats: chicken, turkey, fish. you can buy an entire chicken for less than $6 and there are many meals in it. You can shop the sales for pork loin and get it for $1.99 a pound and that can lasts many meals.

Eggs are great too.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

CathyWray
on 1/25/16 6:52 am - Madison, TN

Hi - have you investigated Medicaid?  If you are out of work they will cover it.  Its about your BMI and co-morbidities. Good Luck and don't give up. It is worth the wait.

April Parker
on 1/25/16 8:28 am - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

Hi! Thanks for all yalls input! Great ideas! Cathy I do have Medicaid. It just wont pay for the visits. It only covers the surgery. Which is okay by me!

CathyWray
on 1/25/16 3:04 pm - Madison, TN

Perfect, small price to pay for such a huge life changing event.  Maybe the doctors will work with you on a sliding scale or some other door will open. 

Most Active
Recent Topics