Havent been here in months, 3 years post op and have medication question about Qsymia.

HFA70
on 2/17/16 10:50 am

I don't understand why you sound so angry with everyone.  Deflecting?  They are sending you sound advice, perhaps off topic (somewhat) to your question, but geez girl, take it that someone cares about your progress.

Kathyjs
on 2/18/16 8:05 am

I agree, the anger is uncalled for and exactly !!!! How I reacted to diet pills. I hope you do great. No judgement here, 

Grim_Traveller
on 2/16/16 11:38 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Nice to see you back. I wish the cir****tances were better. But it's always good to see an old face.

I don't have any experience with the drug, sorry. But I'll chip in my own experience, if you care to read any further.

I can eat a LOT more now than I could that first year. A LOT more. The ONLY things that keep me in check are coming here every day, and weighing and tracking everything I eat. If I know I am at my upper calorie limit for the day, I find I can stop myself from eating more. If I haven't tallied up my food for the day yet, I ALWAYS give myself permission to eat more. And I end up over. Every time. Tracking closely is my holy grail.

What you've experienced with regain is very normal. But the idea that you are DESTINED to be this weight forever if the drug doesn't work is utter nonsense. I'm sorry, but it's a cheap copout. You're better than that. You've done it before. So get off your pity pot and do it again.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

RainbowRN
on 2/16/16 1:06 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

You're right.  I don't feel like I'm suppose to be this weight forever.  I know I can get it back off.  Just feels like I'm stuck and the doc's tell me that I'm at a good weight but I don't think so.  Nice to hear from you again. :)

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

iloveravens
on 2/16/16 11:43 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I tried Qsymia the year before I had WLS.  I think I lost about 10-15 lbs on it but it made me so constipated that I had to stop.  Then of course I gained that all back.  I hope you have better luck with it.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

RainbowRN
on 2/16/16 1:07 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

I heard about the constipation.  Not looking forward to it.  Thanks for the info :)

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/16/16 11:44 am

Low carb - moderate proteins and higher fat are my best appetite reduce option. Sure - first 3.5 days is really hard.. but Keto style diet.. really work combined with my RNY...

saying that - as long as the pills work for you  -and will not cause damage to your body- then use it... but unless you are willing to use them every day - for the rest of your life - and introduce different ones once these stop working... why not? 

so farI can manage my weight using keto / paleo diet...  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

RainbowRN
on 2/16/16 1:16 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

I'm not trying to come off as angry or with a chip on my shoulder.  But honestly, I'm not a little kid.  I know that weight loss pills are not the route to take forever.  I get it.  I'm having a ***** of a time with my appetite coming back and trying to control it.  That's the problem.

When I gained the weight I was off on disability for my surgery.  I was depressed and I know exactly why I ate. I grazed cause I did what I used to.....eat my feelings.  I'm not in that state of mind anymore.  I've been back to work for months now and I'm just trying to get my weight back under control.   I do see a counselor for emotional issues which honestly is none of anyone's business so I don't need to be told to put that money to good use on getting a counselor.

I think that some of you guys are so used to dealing with "newbies" that you don't know what to say to someone who's been through it all before just like you.  I'm simply asking for advice with this pill.  I'll try it.  If it doesn't work then oh well. 

Thank you for the advice. I do appreciate all of it.  My WLS has been a success.  I'm a size 16 now instead of a 32.  Its been 3 years.  I am truly happy that I can buy normal clothes now but I want more.  I'm not gonna stop trying till I get to 195 again and then work like hell to maintain it.  That's all I want. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/16/16 2:44 pm

I had a back surgery 4 months ago.. . I am still on pain pills as needed.  On days that I need more pain pills - my eating is not as good as on any other day... and food does not taste right. Plus the pain pills make my pouch less sensitive and I want to eat more...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/16 1:27 pm - CA

I am experiencing regain.  I had RNY in 2001 and in the last two years, with the death of both parents back to back, I gained weight.    It is my own fault and I know that the only thing that is going to enable me to lose this is to go back to basics.  I have cut all simple carbs out, I eat dense protein at every meal and only eat veggies that are low carb.   It is hard, I am not going to lie.   This far out from surgery, the old habits creep back in.   But, I do find that with the changes I have made, I am not grazing like I had in the past (due to protein keeping me satisfied)   

Start measuring/weighing your food, journal your foods and see where you need to make changes.   I think that with the 42 lbs you need to lose, you should be able to, by doing this.   Medications for appetite control will be short term and you will run the risk of gaining again.   Also, try to stay in a support system, either online or in person.  I find that when I am connected, I tend to hold myself more accountable and I do much, much better. 

Good luck! 

Nik

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 292 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 218 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 286 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 146 views
Recent Topics