I have my surgery date

darlingshell2005
on 2/23/16 2:38 pm
RNY on 06/06/16

Hello everyone, I've been on here reading post for several months now and I can't begin to tell you how helpful it's been. I especially like the what's on the menu posts since one of my worries is what will I be eating after the surgery so it's good to know. My process has gone quickly - way quicker than I though it would. I went to the Surgeon on Jan 12th, over the next two weeks following I saw the psychiatrist and nutritionist. and I got the phone call last week saying they had gotten my insurance approval and they where calling to schedule surgery. I was expecting at least 6 months and it was a month from my first appointment. My RNY will be on June 6th. I could have scheduled it as early as March 21st but I wanted to wait until my daughter was out of school. It will be less for me to worry about and I will have plenty of time to get everything together for the surgery. I also will have plenty of time to deal with my nerves. I can't say that people have been supportive of my decision. My husband said he would support it but my friends and the rest of the family keep trying to talk me out of it by telling people they've known people that died during surgery or right after it. I'm just going to have to trust the surgeon because he does tell me it's a low risk surgery and  I have done reading up on what the complications might be and I have faith that I'll be fine. Moving forward I'm going to keep it to myself until after the surgery...                          

Pokemom
on 2/23/16 9:23 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

Hooray for the progress!  Hooray for the date to look forward to. 

Regarding risk and decision, in one of my final pre-surgery appointments with my surgeon, I asked him more about risk.  Basically I said I don't want to die.  He said that the risks of this surgery are less than for gallbladder surgery.  He also said, "you are at greater of risk of dying when you get into your car after today's appointment and drive home."

At that moment, I thought the surgery, like the car, was "my way home."

Good luck to you these next few months.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 341 views