Stuck/platea/what's wrong with me

KrystalSlate
on 3/5/16 7:30 pm
RNY on 09/23/15

Ok,  i was losing weight ahead of schedule,  im a little over 5 months out and scale wise i have not lost in a few weeks, i'm stuck at 216lbs. i don't eat that much,  I'm eating healthy,  i have lost 55 lbs in approx 165 days. .. i exercise,  i do treadmill,  bike and weights like 4-5 times a week.. suggestions, ideas... i have a cruise in 6 weeks and would love to be down 17 lbs... what is going on? is this normal i know around weeks 3-5 i got stuck.. 

rocky513
on 3/5/16 8:05 pm - WI

Give us an idea of what, and how much (portion size) you eat in an average day so we can "troubleshoot" for you.  It's hard to give advice when you have so little information.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

KrystalSlate
on 3/5/16 8:39 pm
RNY on 09/23/15

my morning is always the same a breakfast burrito 14 g protein 270 cal. and a 50 cal. v8 fusion

lunch is a random lean cuisine always under 400 cal i try to buy ones 300 cal or less mostly

dinner ..well after cooking for 2 teenage athletes and a roofer hubby, i can only usually ear 3-4 bites as the smell from cooking makes me neausous. .. so that's normally around 6, ... its always something with ground turkey or chicken breast. .. to b honest i normally pick at the meat and eat the 3-4 bites in veggies

i will then snack on, unsweetened applesauces, yougurt or some kind of fruit later that evening,  or low fat string cheese and i also use pickles as a cal. free snack

i am struggling with my blood sugar dropping,  so that's the reason i do the fruit over yogurt, the blood sugar dropping is new it happens every night im bringing it up at my next appt. 

Laura in Texas
on 3/6/16 4:51 am

Are you tracking how much you actually eat or "guestimating"? You may be eating more than you think you are. Track every bite.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/6/16 5:23 am

IMO - all the carbs you eat during the day are causing you BS drop and the need to eat more carbs...burrito, juice, applesauce, fruits... 

I am 8 years post op and I would be gaining weight on a menu like that. ..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 3/6/16 5:27 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm with Laura. Weigh your food, and track every bite in MyFitnessPal.

Cutting down on the carbs will help. Your breakfast burrito has twice as many calories as you should be getting for the protein it has. Ditto for the Lean Cuisine. Applesause, unsweetened or not, has a lot of sugar, and won't keep you satisfied. Same for fruit.

Dense protein, dense protein, dense protein. Try that for a week, and you'll lose.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

The Salty Hag
on 3/6/16 5:40 am
RNY on 05/20/13
On March 6, 2016 at 4:39 AM Pacific Time, KrystalSlate wrote:

my morning is always the same a breakfast burrito 14 g protein 270 cal. and a 50 cal. v8 fusion

lunch is a random lean cuisine always under 400 cal i try to buy ones 300 cal or less mostly

dinner ..well after cooking for 2 teenage athletes and a roofer hubby, i can only usually ear 3-4 bites as the smell from cooking makes me neausous. .. so that's normally around 6, ... its always something with ground turkey or chicken breast. .. to b honest i normally pick at the meat and eat the 3-4 bites in veggies

i will then snack on, unsweetened applesauces, yougurt or some kind of fruit later that evening,  or low fat string cheese and i also use pickles as a cal. free snack

i am struggling with my blood sugar dropping,  so that's the reason i do the fruit over yogurt, the blood sugar dropping is new it happens every night im bringing it up at my next appt. 

In my experience ( almost 3 years out ), you need to get rid of the breakfast burrito if it has a tortilla, and just eat the inside providing there are no potatoes. I'll make breakfast burritos with scrambled eggs and chorizo, and top them with shredded sharp cheddar. My family eats them in tortillas; I just have mine in a bowl. 

I'd also stop eating Lean Cuinsines. There are much better choices for us as post-ops. My go-to lunch these days are the Bumble Bee or Starkist tuna pouches. ( I think there may be chicken pouches sold too, but I'm not sure. ) I'll toss in a little mayo, and have an ounce of cheese along with it. I eat leftovers from dinner the previous night a few times a week. 

If you are having blood sugar crashes, the fruit ( again, my experience ) is not what you want to eat unless you want another blood sugar crash later on. I've had problems with reactive hypoglycemia since I was 2 years out, but I can control it by eating 5 or 6 small meals a day, evenly spaced out. I always, always include protein in every single meal. I avoid fruit altogether because even paired with a protein, it makes me sick. If your blood sugar crashes, you need a combo of protein, fat, and a small amount of carbohydrates. It's a balancing act, I've found. For me, a cheese stick and a few nuts, like almonds or pistachios, is the best way to combat dropping blood sugar. 

You need to track everything you eating and track your portions as well. Adjust accordingly. It takes some time to find the "magic number" of calories that it takes for you to drop weight. I maintain my weight at 1,000 cals a day...and gain if I eat more than that. 

So drop any carby, bready stuff you might be eating, eat small meals 5-6 times a day to combat blood sugar crashes, concentrate on protein first, don't be afraid of eating a little bit of healthy fats in your meals, eat only non starchy veggies, track your food, measure/weigh your portions according to your plan, and like SS said...up your water intake if you're not getting enough. That should start the scale moving again. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Ashley in Belgium
on 3/7/16 8:18 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Exactly this!  What a reply Audrey!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/7/16 11:42 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Pretty much EVERYTHING you eat should be 10g protein for every 100 calories, MINIMUM. I see ZERO of that in your daily eating.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/8/16 1:26 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

One of my goals after WLS was to eat healthy and avoid processed foods.  It's a decision that has served me well and helped me to change my habits and mindset about what I'm willing to put into my body in the long term.

I strongly advise that you reconsider eating breakfast burritos, V8 Fusion, apple sauce and Lean Cuisines.  These are filled with more calories and sodium than you think.  What has worked for me is to cook something in my crock pot, weigh and portion it out into containers, then freeze them.  I always have something in my freezer, and I know what the calories and nutritional values are.  That's where MFP comes in handy.

Eat cleaner.  Your body and your weight will thank you.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 316 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 293 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 248 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 321 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 148 views