Question about poultry

frhoffard
on 3/8/16 12:16 pm
RNY on 11/12/15

So I had my surgery November 12, 2015 and I feel like I'm doing pretty good.  However, no matter how I prepare it I cannot eat poultry.  Ground, baked, grilled, slow cooker....white meat, dark meat..it really does not matter.  I can eat 1 or 2 bites, chew it really well and then I can feel it just sitting in my pouch and it is very uncomfortable.  My dietitian keeps telling me to wait a week or so and try again but I'm not good with the pain or having to throw it back up.

Should I keep trying it occasionally or just wait a few months and then try?  I eat a lot of fish and I've been ok the few times I've tried red meat; I don't want to hurt myself just trying to eat chicken or turkey.

Thanks and Happy Tuesday!

?Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.? ? Les Brown

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/16 12:26 pm

I would wait and try it again. Some people can never eat somethings again. There are a ton of good things out there. If it makes you uncomfortable I would really wait. 

birdiegirl
on 3/8/16 12:42 pm

Have you tried it with liquid/gravy to assist the transition?  Poultry products are probably one of the toughest for some people.  I never eat chicken on its own to this day but always with something moist.

Tomatoes - gravy packets - mayo whatever.  When you do try again ensure its accompanied by something liquid-moist or wet.  I ate a lot of chicken with tomatoes early out.

Good Luck

frhoffard
on 3/8/16 12:50 pm
RNY on 11/12/15

Yes, I've tried liquids and gravy but it hasn't helped.  Even pieces of chicken in soup don't agree with my pouch.  I don't really miss chicken or turkey at this point but my dietitian keeps pushing me to try them again and again. 

?Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.? ? Les Brown

mschwab
on 3/8/16 12:51 pm
RNY on 11/21/14

Give it some time.  Chicken and beef were the two things that it took the longest for me to be able to eat. a full 6-9 months.  

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

SkinnyScientist
on 3/8/16 12:58 pm

I never had a problem with poultry.

My problem was pot roast. I think it was the fat. But it took me like 3 years to be able to eat pot roast meat gain.  Other forms of beef were fine..i just dont know why pot roast was so hard.

I got annoyed wiht trying in year two..waited for a year..then I could eat pot roast.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

SkinnyScientist
on 3/8/16 12:59 pm

Oh. the point of my post was "Dotn write off entire genera of meat forever. Just temporarily write it off..."

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

frhoffard
on 3/8/16 1:49 pm
RNY on 11/12/15

THANK YOU!  I'm just gonna put chicken and turkey out of my mind for a while and maybe when I start missing one of them I will try it again...with lots of moisture!!!

lynnc99
on 3/8/16 2:45 pm

Your body will let you know when a particular food is "okay." 

You'll think one day, "Hey that looks/sounds good!" Then go ahead.

A word from my psych evaluation that I have never forgotten - if a particular food or foods make us sick, we can develop food aversions. Sometimes that's ok (I have an aversion to apples right now) but if we stack up a pile of aversions it can create a whole new breed of disordered eating. And of course, we specialize in disordered eating.

So let your body guide you. You can live without chicken for a while. 

Lilly8985
on 3/8/16 5:41 pm

This is so true!! Great thing to keep in mind!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 313 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 6 replies · 98 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 6 replies · 98 views