Pre Op Diet cheater

A. W
on 3/18/16 11:15 am - Ottawa, Canada

Surgery is Wednesday and I keep cheating on my 3 week pre-op diet. I'm so upset with myself but I keep doing it.

I've had bites of cottage cheese, chicken, greenbeans etc here and there over the last 3 weeks but that isn't what I'm bothered by. 

I had ******g Burger King my first week after an exceptionally terrible day, 2 slices of pizza a couple of nights ago, just now I ate some chips. Ok, a whole bag. Ugh.  

I was so determined, and I started out strong, but I keep failing myself. I know I have time to recover but will it be enough? 

I don't expect pity or head pats, I'm just needing to put it out there. 

PaulaB72
on 3/18/16 11:23 am - Canada

You're not the first and won't be the last.  I'm on the 3 week liquid as well, surgery on Monday.  the first 2 weeks, i had bits of chicken and a handful of Veggie Straws.  The hunger was the WORST, guilt even moreso. I've never experienced anything like it... week 3 and my nerves are so bad that I am just not as hungry anymore.

HW - 339lbs

SW - 301

CW - 282lbs

RNY 03/21/2016

A. W
on 3/18/16 11:26 am - Ottawa, Canada

That's the worst part - I'm not even hungry. I've always been a disordered eater so I know why it's happening, once I'm successful at a diet (ie, killing the first week of shakes) I sabotage myself. I just need it to stop because I want this surgery and I want to use my tool successfully. Ugh. 

Maro
on 3/18/16 11:49 am

I can't image how hard would it be to stay THREE WEEKS in liquid diet!!! I only need to do it for two days and they are terrible, so I really understand you. The thing is that now, that your surgery is soooo close, you really need to STOP eating anything you shouldnt because for the surgery they need your stomach absolutely clean as well as NOT swollen because of fats and carbs.

This is very serious... Let me tell you that once I got into surgery, had the IV, the anesthesia, woke up and I  COULDNT HAVE SURGERY DONE!!!!!! this happened to me 8 months ago because my intestine wasnt clean enough eventhough I did everything correctly.

DON'T RISK NEITHER YOURSELF NOR THE SURGERY!!! You have been trying sooooo hard to drop everything!

keep on!

A. W
on 3/18/16 2:03 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Oh man, I'm so sorry you weren't able to have your surgery. That's awful :(

karin602
on 3/20/16 7:25 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Mark have you been able to get the surgery done?

Karin

karin602
on 3/20/16 7:27 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Darn incorrect it was supposed to be Maro

Karin

Maro
on 3/20/16 11:06 am

Hi! The time I wasnt able to have the surgery done was because the laxant didnt work as it should for me, so I didnt have the intestines clean. Also, at the same time I was full of air inside and it was symptom of an stomach infection so it was dangerous to have the surgery done then.

Now, i will go back to the OR on march tuesday 29... In 10 days!!!!! I really feel scared and anxious but my surgeon is excellent and very professional so he wouldnt risk anything.

I hope everything will be fine!

ladygodiva1228
on 3/18/16 12:53 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On March 18, 2016 at 6:15 PM Pacific Time, allisha wrote:

Surgery is Wednesday and I keep cheating on my 3 week pre-op diet. I'm so upset with myself but I keep doing it.

I've had bites of cottage cheese, chicken, greenbeans etc here and there over the last 3 weeks but that isn't what I'm bothered by. 

I had ******g Burger King my first week after an exceptionally terrible day, 2 slices of pizza a couple of nights ago, just now I ate some chips. Ok, a whole bag. Ugh.  

I was so determined, and I started out strong, but I keep failing myself. I know I have time to recover but will it be enough? 

I don't expect pity or head pats, I'm just needing to put it out there. 

Its tough to say.  You could be Ok, but I have known surgeons, my own included, who opened patients up and then closed them right back up and wheeled them back out of the OR because they saw that they did not follow the pre-op diet.

The pre-op is not easy, but our doctors given them to us for a reason.  You only have 4 days to "recover" I honestly don't think it is going to be enough unless you go 100% liquid from now until then and that is going to be hard.

Best of luck to you, but don't be surprised if you do not get the surgery done on Wednesday.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Deanna798
on 3/18/16 1:06 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

Full liquids for 3 weeks pre-op is HARD.  I only had to do 7 days and that sucked.  I will not tell you it is okay that you cheated, I don't know what ramifications that it will have when your surgery day arrives.  You have 5 days left.  Be strong and go full liquid right now.  I'm 7.5 months, and I have an eating disorder that I struggle with even today, but you have to make the choice to just stop.  You CAN do it, it's almost time, please don't sabotage yourself at the last minute.

Good luck and please make sure to update us how it goes.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 294 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 287 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 147 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views