Whole 30 Eating Plan

Chirs H.
on 3/24/16 5:01 am - Wichita Falls, TX

my daughter recommended that I read this book "Whole 30", it is not a diet book, but an eating plan that helps you eliminate the sugar, inflammation causing foods processed foods that contain harmful chemicals. 

I am seriously think about giving it a try for 30 days as the boom suggests.  

My concern is the plan  totally eliminated eliminates beans and dairy. 

I am wondering if any of you have tried the plan and what your results and thoughts were. 

Thanks - Chris Hix

Chris

Don't quit before the miracle...

aesposito
on 3/24/16 5:41 am

Just looked over some websites explaining the program. 

A huge waste of your time and money.  It's basically a high-protein, high-healthy-fat, low-carb, mostly-organic diet.  I do that every day, without having bought a book written by people with questionable qualifications.

And I would be pretty concerned about a diet that claims to be low-sugar, yet encourages potatoes and fruits, and discourages nuts, seeds beans and cheese.  Sugar from fruits, veggies and starches is still sugar.  Maybe other fat people can eat those things, but I can't... and I don't think I am going out on a limb when I say most other post-RNY patients can't do that either. 

If you have inflammation issues from dairy, just cut out dairy... don't need a fancy book to make that stretch.

Audrey (feeling curmudgeonly this morning)

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

ShaunaBinks
on 3/24/16 6:11 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Its very close to Paleo. Protein  first, healthy fats, veggies, some fruit, and no dairy. Primal, another similar eating, but includes dairy.

It also focuses on whole eating. We live in a culture where people rely on take out, food from boxes, over processed food.  This plan focuses on fresh  food, in its natural form.

its an excellent plan  for anyone starting out on eating healthfully.

I am a newbie here- all of 8 days post surgery.  Scouring the boards, i can tell you that its similar to how the most successful RNYers eat.

Protein first, some veggies, a little fruit,  some healthy fats food in its first form.

people without  weight  problems can eat starchy veg than we can, and  can add in more  fruit.

I think its a great plan for people who have relied on getting their food from take out, or over processed. 

there is more healthy eating information on these boards than anywhere i have seen :)

Lapband removal May 2014

RNY March 16, 2016    HW 258/ SW 249 / CW  235 / GW 149 (my goal. surgeons goal 170)

Chirs H.
on 3/24/16 9:08 am - Wichita Falls, TX

I really appreciate your reply and insight. And I agree whole heartedly! 

Chris

gbsinsatx
on 3/24/16 6:53 am, edited 3/23/16 11:53 pm - San Antonio, TX

I have been a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian for 10 years. I was a Vegetarian because I never really cared for meat, not because I am opposed to eating flesh in regards to animal cruelty. I recently switched over to Paleo (rather than Whole 30) eating plan on March 1st by the strong recommendation of my Rheumatologist over the past two years. I used to eat a diet exclusively of beans, dairy, whole grains, eggs, nuts, vegetables and fruit. On the Paleo diet I kept the eggs, nuts (no peanuts), vegetables and fruit and then added poultry and fish. My inflammation and digestive issues subsided within 3 weeks. It really does make a difference if you have Arthritis or other inflammatory autoimmune disorders! I feel the Paleo eating plan is very similar to the RNY eating plan. P. S. Don't get hooked on making all the creative Paleo dessert recipes unless you can afford to do so.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

KattattaK
on 3/24/16 8:12 pm

I'm with gbsinsatx. When I started the whole 30 plan, I started noticing s positive differences within a couple weeks. I was hesitant about trying the plan, but one day I started doing research, and decided to give it a go. The results were amazing! My joint pain and inflamation were practically nonexistent a month into it, i was down 30 pounds, and despite eating meat each day and night (I'm not much of a meat eater), i became regular, which I'd never been before. Once my band is out and I'm revised to a sleeve, I hope to be able to stick to this way of eating forever. My diet is more primal than paleo right now.

Maria27
on 3/24/16 7:37 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I took a look at the website. After eliminating all of those things, I don't even know what I would eat! But it is only for 30 days, which isn't so long to give up anything. That said, I don't really get the point. What are you supposed to do after the 30 days? If you think you would benefit for it, it's not going to hurt, but I choose to avoid anything that resembles a fad diet or is unsustainable. Instead, I focus on making small positive changes that I can sustain long term, and I don't intend to give up dairy or beans long term. Anyway, those are just my thoughts.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Chirs H.
on 3/24/16 9:04 am - Wichita Falls, TX

I think it is just supposed to give you a jump start to healthier eating - my daughter lost 15 pounds and is trying to incorporate what she learned as her daily eating plan. 

Chris

Maria27
on 3/24/16 10:32 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

For some people it probably works. But I suspect that most people simply gain back whatever weight they lost as soon as the 30 days ends. That is why I avoid these types of diets. Only you can know which type of person you will be.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

NHPOD9
on 3/24/16 3:24 pm

A lot of people suffer from inflammation that stems from the foods they eat. After 30 days of eliminating some of the most common food allergens, like dairy, you can slowly introduce them back into your diet. It is not only to help people try to eat clean for 30 days, but to also see if they have any negative reactions to specific foods. We can get used to feeling crummy or don't realize the rash or congestion is related to what we are consuming until we eliminate the cause from our diet.

There are a lot of fad diets out there. I'm not quite sure this is one. Like others have said, this is Paleo based, which is a great way for many of us to eat. 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 293 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 219 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 287 views