Post-op Diet Plan

A. W
on 3/31/16 1:26 am - Ottawa, Canada

I thought I was blown away by how different pre-op diets were around the world until people started discussing their post-op and losing their minds over what I was eating already at 1 week post-op. 

If you can, please post your plan so we can see where everyone is coming from! 

It's so insane to me how things differ from place to place.

Mine is broken down by weeks.

Week 1: water, cal free drinks (crystal lite, mio), broth, sf jello, sf popsicles, protein shakes.

Week 2: all of the above plus low sugar oatmeal, yogurt, greek yogurt, mashed potatoes, cottage cheese.

Week 3: all of the above plus no more than 1/2 of a scrambled egg, canned tuna and salmon, 1/4-1/2 piece of toast or 2-3 crackers. Not to exceed 1/4c of food, must eat 3 meals per day.

Week 4, 5, 6: all of the above plus eggs any style, flaky fish, cooked veggies, soft fruits without skin, soft cooked pasta, soft cooked beans/legumes, hummus, tofu, couscous, quinoa. Not to exceed 1/2c per meal, no meat except fish, no raw veggies, fruit skin, rice, and salad.

Week 7 diet for life, intro new foods slowly such as deli meat, ground meats, stews and pot roasts, drained soups, all other meat, rice, nuts, raw veggies, salads.

ShaunaBinks
on 3/31/16 4:17 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Week1-3. Same as yours 

week 3- for 3 months - soft foods - your week 2+3 +4,5,6

all rules the same 

64 oz water

69-90g protein 

Lapband removal May 2014

RNY March 16, 2016    HW 258/ SW 249 / CW  235 / GW 149 (my goal. surgeons goal 170)

NYMom222
on 3/31/16 4:39 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Mine was pretty much the same, except at week 4 it was diet for life except salad and raw veggies which started at week 6. Less carbs too farina week 2.

SKip the carbs and stick to protein. You have such small real estate in your pouch/stomach at this point protein is the only way to go...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

A. W
on 3/31/16 5:05 am - Ottawa, Canada

I think they include carbs in the plan because they know you'll eventually try them again so they want you to know when it's "safe" to try. I'm not interested in becoming a carb junkie again so intend to stay away from them because I know how easily it can mess with things. It is kind of nice that they aren't being naive and thinking that people won't ever eat carbs again though so including it isn't awful. Better to know!

Dee6504
on 3/31/16 7:12 am, edited 3/31/16 12:13 am
RNY on 12/17/15 with

I too, find this subject fascinating given the sheer number if different plans out there.

Mines was/is the following:

1-2 weeks clear liquids including protein shakes with water

week 3 Full liquids, milk, SF pudding Cottage Cheese, etc.

week 4 - mushy/soft food soft meats, eggs 2 protein shakes a day

week 8 - all meats allowed and cooked veggies, no more than 1/4 cup at a meal 3 meals and 3 shakes ( had to have a shake added back in due to amount of exercise)

3 months - all foods allowed 1/3 cup per meal 3 meals and 3 shakes

6 months 1/2 cup 3 meals and I think I get to move down to 2 shakes a day here at least I hope

9 months 3/4 cup a meal 3 meals and 1 snack and 1 shake

12 months 1 cup a meal, 3 meals and 2 snacks

Shakes can be added or removed by my NUT depending on exercise and protein levels.

Edited to Add: My NUT strongly encourages Proetin first then Veggies, but usually likes to see for me now 1-2 oz of protein and the rest veggies or fruit once and a while. An Occasional cracker is okay with my protein, but she prefers they be low in sugar and contain whole wheat.

H/W 260, S/W 237, CW 140.4

Catek2652
on 3/31/16 8:05 am
RNY on 10/26/15

Okay, I had complications so my progress was a bit slow:

Week 1 Clear liquids with powdered protein dissolved in water.

Week 2 - 4: Puree and liquids... but now I could use milk with the protein drinks. Cottage cheese, yogurt, an egg etc.  No potatos or oatmeal or other carbs at all. Even by week 4 I could not eat a whole egg without being full.

Week 5 - Month 5: Proteins as tolerated (started with fish, then chicken and am now eating beef), all cheeses, green veggies except celery and other stringy things, a few blue berries and a few blue berry sized cubes of peeled apple, nuts introduced in the last month.

I'm told at 6 months I will be allowed a few crackers and maybe potatoes if they don't make me gassy.

Once I reach goal, then the calorie count will go up. I'm averaging about 850 to 900 calories a day now.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

lykapal
on 3/31/16 8:17 am, edited 3/31/16 1:28 am
RNY on 05/16/16

Day of surgery - nothing by mouth except ice chips

Day one - 20 oz. blue powerade -2 oz per hour (monitor blake drain)

Day two -  20 oz blue powerade, plus 3 oz fluid per hour - totalling 80 oz every day, and you will start a pureed meal plan. (practice day) You will put one 8 oz can of boost high protein into g-tube throughout the day.

Day three - Same as day two. Discharge day, if all nutrition and fluid goals are met.

Follow pureed plan for the first two weeks. 3 pureed meals, 1oz protein and 1/2 oz vegetable. Supplement with 2 Boost daily. (g-tube) Blue powerade 20 oz, blake drain is removed at 2 week follow up.

Follow soft meal plan for 2 weeks. Serving size, 1-2 oz protein and 0.5-1 oz fruit and vegetable. Start taking bariatric vitamins.

You will move to phase 1 foods once the g-tube is removed. Phase 1 will continue until 3 month follow up. 3-4 small meals and 2 planned protein snacks. Serving size 3-5 tbsp protein and 1-1.5 tbsp fruit/vegetables. Avoid foods are - raw vegetables, skin and peel on fruits and vegetables, gas producing vegetables, carbonation and sugar, alcohol, fried food, bread-rice-pasta, and be cautious of tough meats.

Phase 2 will continue until 6 month follow up. 3 month follow up. 3-4 small meals and 2 planned protein snacks. Serving size 2.5 to 3.5 oz of protein and 1/2 cup  fruit/vegetables. You may add 1/2 cup complex carbs per day. (Beans/Legumes) Avoid foods are - raw green salads, gas producing vegetables, popcorn and raw celery, dry tough meats, starchy vegetables, bread-rice-pasta. 

Important eating behaviors for all phases - do not drink 30 minutes before or 1 hour* after eating. Take 30 minutes to eat meals. Take small bites and chew until pureed. Protein first. Eat in relaxed environment. Don't talk while eating, you may swallow air.

*My nutritionist mentioned to me yesterday that they were thinking of making it 30 minutes afterwards, because so many people couldn't manage to get in enough fluids with losing 6 hours a day for waiting periods.

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/16 10:56 am

My weight loss plan was a joke after surgery. I had grilled cheese on it and potatoes and other high carb items. If you really want to lose the weight you should stay clear of the carbs. Stick to protein. 

This website it s a good one. I wished I had followed a stricter diet so I would have gotten to my goal weight. I have about 25 pounds to lose. Trust me it does not come off as easy as it did in the beginning. I will get there. I will do it. 

A. W
on 3/31/16 12:35 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Damn right you will!

life_mirrors_art
on 3/31/16 3:54 pm - Canada

I'm right there with you 3B! 26 lbs to get to goal and my 2nd year surgiversary is on June 23. I don't expect to reach goal by then, but getting 10 lbs closer would make me happy. I'm hoping AMAW will help with evening hunger pangs so I can keep my calories low enough to lose. On the bright side - and I hope it's the same for you - I am finding it very easy to maintain my current weight without undue effort. I know if I can just make that last push to get to goal, maintaining the lower weight shouldn't be an issue either! Good luck to you with your efforts - determination can take us a long way!

RNY on June 23, 2014  -  HW: 280, SW: 230, CW: 166, GW: 140

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 505 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 577 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 296 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 4 replies · 26 views