Would you ditch your clothes?

Ereiam
on 4/3/16 8:01 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

And no, I don't mean joining a nudist colony.

I'm having RNY on 6/7 and I'm in the process of changing out my winter clothes for my spring clothes. I have a whole winter wardrobe of size 24 and 2X clothing and I shouldn't need them post WLS. So do I donate them? It feels scary and final to give them away but I think I need to as part of the commitment to surgery.

what do you think?

karenp8
on 4/3/16 8:19 pm - Brighton, IL

Keep one pair of pants and one shirt and donate the rest. You will never need them again so why take up space with them? I have nothing in my closet that does not fit me now because I don't  want to be a bigger size ever again. And I know I am a tightwad so I will do whatever it takes to stay my current size!

NYMom222
on 4/3/16 11:19 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Yup ditch the clothes....as Karen said keep something as a before if you want, but ditch the clothes....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

RNY on 12/22/14

Ditching clothes never helped prevent regain in the past, so I didn't ditch them as a te*****iue to increase the pressure on me post-WLS.  I was such a defeated dieter that I was even sure if WLS surgery would work for me.  I waited until friends told me clothes were too big.  I put them away in bags marked by size.  I gave all the 2xs and 3xs away as soon I lost that weight (3 months after surgery).  I didn't give away the 1xs and XLs until I was wearing a size 6-8 and felt that I would not need them again.  

If you wait to get rid of your winter clothes, plan to hold on to them until September - most place don;t have the room to store winter clothes all summer.  So to answer your question - it depends on how much spare room you have in your closet/attic.

Enjoy having this problem and think of the upper body work out you gt by lifting all those heavy clothes - your new clothes will have less fabric and weigh so much less.

Sharon

ChristyO
on 4/4/16 3:36 am
RNY on 02/01/16

I'm keeping mine they are too nice, and I would make sure the RNY works before I did anything.  Also alot of people post about gaining , down the road.  The weight comes off slow.  I'm lucky I hung on to my clothes before I gained, I have all I could ask for from size Small to 1x and all my favorite jeans from 6 to 18, saving my clothes saves me a Ton of Money, I'm glad I did it. 

ChristyO

Height 5'4

S.W. 251

C.W. 129

G.W. 125

karenp8
on 4/4/16 5:13 am - Brighton, IL

You control your regain. Regain happens when you stop following rules and begin to go back to old habits. If you are doing as you should you won't have a 50 pound regain to be able to fit in old clothes. Having them there just makes it much easier to become lax and regain.

karenp8
on 4/4/16 5:16 am - Brighton, IL

Oh and the surgery is not the one working,if you want to be successful you are working too. Working at making good food choices,measuring and tracking and exercising if you can.

selhard
on 4/4/16 5:37 am, edited 4/3/16 11:26 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I am hopelessly surrounded by family members that find getting rid of possessions difficult.  Are you a saver or a thrower?  Are you the sentimental type?  It sounds like you might be and probably struggle with the side of your brain that knows it smart to get rid of the 2Xs and the side of your brain that hesitates with the unknown. As a thrower, I find it easy to tell you to listen to the smart side of your brain.  From experience, I know savers can dig their heels in like crazy when told what to do.  Friendly conclusion:  keep your 2Xs until you are ready to decide on your own.

ShaunaBinks
on 4/4/16 5:50 am
RNY on 03/16/16

I highly recommend that when you do- find a Women's shelter, or county detox, as many of those programs have rehabilitation programs getting people back to jobs, interviews.

As i move out of mine, i am going to get rid of them. Keeping one pair of pants/ top for "looking back" but thats it. 

Lapband removal May 2014

RNY March 16, 2016    HW 258/ SW 249 / CW  235 / GW 149 (my goal. surgeons goal 170)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/4/16 5:58 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Since you haven't had surgery yet and so many things can happen between now and then, I would wait.  I do, however, sell my clothes immediately once I am out of that size.  I don't keep them around if they no longer fit.  I sold all my clothes in bulk on eBay and made enough to fund to vacations with my family.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 300 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 273 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 237 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 321 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 147 views