Head hunger so early on

Cheremiste
on 4/8/16 4:13 pm

Aargh! Why is it that when you can't eat something, you suddenly start seeing ads for it everywhere??

My parents ordered Mexican food tonight. They're being helpful by eating it in their room, though. I know they have to eat and I don't begrudge them that; I'm not hungry but my head has has some "hunger" moments. I think I'll have to avoid some sub reddits and TV channels for awhile. 

Recovery-wise: I'm doing OK. I met my liquid goals yesterday and got close to meeting my protein goal. As of Monday I can eat foods like yogurt, eggs, refried beans, etc. So I can look forward to that. 

Stomach is still tight and bloated but I am passing gas. If I don't have a bowel movements by Sunday I may try a suppository.

Everyone in my life has been very supportive, from my family to my work colleagues. And of course, you guys are very supportive 

39 y/o woman | Height 5'11"| SW 301 | CW 233 | GW 175

sheriberi29
on 4/8/16 4:33 pm - Cleveland, TN

I know it's so tough ! When I first got my lapband I kept seeing kfc ads everywhere. I don't even care for it BUT I was thinking grrrrr what did you do to yourself, but it does get better! So I made myself a deal... When you see an ad for food or come across temptation.. Have a short walk, and it was very short at first, then I'd say ok ... Next time I'm feeling tempted I'm gonna go farther and make it to the next mail box . That was my new way of coping and learning not to lean on food...I'm so happy to hear that your doing ok.  

supershopper
on 4/8/16 6:23 pm

Maybe try miralax if you haven't been Ina. Couple days.

i put 1/2 cap in my decaf coffee everyday.

head hunger is a $&$&

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Kathyjs
on 4/8/16 7:50 pm

You are doing great. Like I have said here so many times. When you think hunger , have something to drink. 13 years later it's just a habit to drink when I feel hunger.

I agree with a lot of the others who've given you great tips. I see you and I have the same Doc...isn't he great? 

After a while, it gets easier when others are eating things you choose not to eat. I think that's key here...perhaps if you have a heart to heart with yourself while you're taking those little walks, explaining to yourself why you chose to have this surgery, why you chose to lose weight and (I'm assuming here) get healthier. 

The way I look at it when I see people eating things I choose not to eat, it's like eating in a restaurant. There is a menu and everyone chooses their own meal. Today, I choose (yogurt, protein coffee, etc.).  I'm over 8 years out and you should hear me as I murmur under my breath when walking through the grocery store "I choose NOT to buy you today, cookies" and "Blackberries? Today I choose to have you in my cart!"  Crazy? Yep...but I still have those little heart to heart talks with myself. 

-----------------------------------------

Our Lady of the Holy Rollers

That's not a tiara. I just bedazzle my horns.

Cheremiste
on 4/9/16 5:22 am

He IS great; so is his staff. They've all been so supportive.

I did have a bowel movement this morning, so that was good.

I will try the talking to myself about choices trick; I already talk to myself anyway :)

39 y/o woman | Height 5'11"| SW 301 | CW 233 | GW 175

karenp8
on 4/9/16 4:06 am - Brighton, IL

I'm a visual learner. That's why I have a list that I compiled on my journey of victories and a before picture posted on my frig. A very visual reminder of where my food choices can take me!

(deactivated member)
on 4/9/16 6:35 am

Head hunger sucks. I know there are triggers that I have. Like watching the Food Network. Reading recipes. 

When head hunger hits try to make a list of everything you want to do when you lose weight. Picture yourself doing them.

Some things may sound silly. Like being able to sit in a regular booth and not worry if you will fit. Not worry of patio furniture will hold us. Being able to ride in an airplane without a seat belt extender. 

Grim_Traveller
on 4/9/16 7:00 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The second week after surgery was the WORST for hunger. It was horrible. But when I started eating soft food, it went away entirely.

Hang in there. You're doing great.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Daisydoo02
on 4/9/16 8:12 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Head hunger is real and is a B$TCH!!!  And sorry but it doesn't go away.  I am 2 yrs, 5 mos post op and I still get it all the time. What changes is our ability to deal with it and to find new coping mechanisms.  I find the "distraction" method helped me a lot. So I keep myself very busy and very hydrated.  If I have eaten dinner and I find myself "hungry" I know its not hunger, its my head. So I will get up and do something. Clean the kitchen, make my lunch for the next day, do some laundry, brush my dogs, take the dogs out for a walk, grab a book, text a friend, online shopping, clean out my cupboards, take a nap, and come summer I spend a lot of time in my garden, I also visit Garden centres a lot so I am out of the house, away from food and walking.  These area all things I did and still do to help me work out the head hunger.

You will find as you progress through the food stages it gets better,  Soft foods will feel like a victory, enjoy them, take it slow.  I truly remember crying at the dinner table as I was fresh post op, I so wanted FOOD, no more damn shakes or mushy pureed food. But I worked through it and was able to recognize when it was head hunger and not real hunger.

Glad you had a bowel movement, but please please don't let that get away from you.  Constipation with us RNYers is a big deal. Post op I had a lot of diarrhea and once that stopped nothing.  I could not go, called my centre, was in a panic, had not gone in like 7 days, they gave me trouble for waiting so long to call, told me to get on stool softeners asap and Miralax (Restoralax in Canada).  To this day I have to take something daily to help me go.  Keep on top of that okay.

You are doing great, glad you posted.  Keep us updated on how you are doing!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Most Active
Recent Topics