Help!!! Ever Feel Like Your Pouch is Broken????

BWthegreat
on 6/10/16 5:15 pm
RNY on 01/26/16

Good Afternoon,

I am 4 1/2 months out and 75 pounds down. I feel great and the transformation has been great despite the hard complications I faced in the beginning. But this week has also caused a panic in my mind. I feel like I am able to eat way more then I should and a lot more then I have ate in the pass. I didn't throw up or fell sick, just panicked when I realize what I perceive to be a lot of food.  Example is:

Lunch: 2 small baked chicken things and a spinach salad. Salad had spinach, egg, cheese and bacon crumbles.

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs and 2 turkey sausage patties

Can someone tell me if this is normal....All in my head or should I contact my Nut/Surgeon.  

Thanks for understanding the Paranoia :)

White Dove
on 6/10/16 6:15 pm - Warren, OH

Your pouch grows and by six months out most of us could eat that much.  This is where it gets harder.  Just because you can eat a lot does not mean that you should. 

To continue to lose weight, you need to track your food and keep your calories down.  For most of us, we stayed at 800 or below until goal was reached.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/16 5:13 am

Ditto Dove...just because I can eat a dozen donuts doesn't mean I should.  Track your stuff and stay at or around that 800 calorie mark.  Also, make sure you stick to your proteins which it sounds like you are.  Good luck!

JB1114
on 6/11/16 9:43 am - Grain Valley, MO

My RNY was 8 years ago next month.  At times I want to blame the pouch and think it quit working, but truth is I got sloppy.  A newbie doesn't want to hear this, but I've had some regain and not because my pouch quit working.  It was because I fed the pouch some poor choices and I was eating way too fast.  I was having indigestion big time and nothing helped until my husband pointed out I was eating too fast.  I'm trying to be more conscious of how fast I eat and I'm feeling much better.  I've also lost 3.4 lbs.

So, in answer to your question, it sounds like a lot of food for someone 4 1/2 months out, but it's all very healthy.  Stay away from the carbs.  Are you continuing to lose?  If so, I would say you're doing fine.  Remember to eat slowly and chew, chew, chew.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/12/16 11:26 pm - OH

It is hard to tell about the first example you gave ("small" doesn't really tell us anything since small is very subjective, and teh salad could be ANY size), but the breakfast example, IMO, is too much food.  I am almost 9 years out and could not eat 2 eggs and 2 sausage patties.

Although it is very normal to be able to eat much larger portions as you move through the first year (you NEED for this to happen because once you have lost the excess weight, you would waste away to nothing if you could still eat only a few ounces at a time!), it also becomes important to exercise portion control rather than eating until full.  As with food choices, the "just because you can doesn't mean you should" mantra applies to portions as well.

How much people can eat by the time they are about a year out varies a LOT.  I know people who can eat a 6-inch Subway sandwich (including the bread) whereas I get full on just the meat, cheese, and veggies without any of the bread.  People who are successful long term invariably continue to control their portions many years out.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

BWthegreat
on 6/13/16 8:27 am
RNY on 01/26/16

Thanks Everyone for your input. I understand portion control is important and I do monitor my calories and measure my food and know that I have not been over my calorie limit. It was just shocking to me what I was able to eat without discomfort vs. previously. My thought process in asking the question was about my pouch and getting it checked. I also have talked to my Nut & Surgeon. 

Kala2032
on 6/13/16 5:23 pm - Marrero, LA
RNY on 02/08/16

BW, Paranoia is sooo real and valid. I too am real close to where you are . I am 4 months out and ive been thinking the same thing. Did I stretch my pouch? I mean im not eating things I shouldnt or more than I should. I guess its just a worry cause we CAN eat more.  But like they said just cause we can doesnt mean we should. I am still learning. I learned today I have to give up my popcorn (which I love dear). I wasnt supposed to have it. (Bad Kala) Apparently the salt in it may be making me retain water. Oh well, Back to proteins! lol 

Thank you for asking this question!

Height 5' 10, HW: 538 lbs 05/2015, SW: 444 lbs 2/2016, CW:213lbs 8/2017

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics