How do i fit in all these meals and snacks?

Kinne
on 7/14/16 2:16 pm

Hi all. I had my RNY last year and jumped off the wagon months ago. I have not gained weight or lost weight since my RNY. All my fault. Well, I am starting the process of jumping back on! I have to follow the South Beach diet.

Question 1:  HOW do you fit three meals and 2-3 snacks, AND water (considering the no-no drinking before and after) into your day? I'm up from 10:00 - 2:00ish in the am. (I have insomnia). 

Question 2: I heard that my pouch, a year out, holds 1 1/2C's. How can I find out ounces instead of measurements? I have a scale.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/14/16 2:47 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Well, since you are looking to lose weight, you'll be eating LESS going forward than you have these past months. You just need to schedule your eating better, and stick to the schedule. You don't have to worry about how to "fit it in," since you'll actually be cutting back.

Weigh your food, and log every bite in something like MyFitnessPal. Count every calorie. Eat 4 ounces of dense protein at each meal, and maybe a couple of bites of veggies. No fruit, and NO liquid calories. Snacks should be carefully measured to avoid going overboard.

You can drink right up until you start eating, but not during or at least a half hour after. Don't forget your vitamins and calcium.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

cheapskate
on 7/14/16 6:22 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

Honestly, if you haven't lost any weight quantity probably isn't an issue. 

Focus on protein forward and log everything. You can do it!  Work your tool. 

Kinne
on 7/14/16 8:25 pm

I'm not talking about quantity. I am talking about how to schedule all those meals and snacks. My surgeon requires a 1/2 hour of no liquids before and after a meal. I just don't know how to schedule my day with all the things I have to do. I get up at 10:00 and I can't eat right away, I have to drink first. I'm up till God knows when since I am an insomniac. So, drink decaf whatever, wait for a half an hour, then eat? How do I schedule the food and liquids the rest of the day? I'm unemployed indefinitely so I can practice, but I need advice.

Thanks for the replies!  

Grim_Traveller
on 7/14/16 8:48 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You don't have to wait a half hour after you drink before you can eat. That information is just wrong. It's only during and after. You don't have a pyloric valve, so whatever you drink goes through in a matter of seconds. You can eat right after drinking.

Even if that weren't the case, it's not hard. I eat every 3 hours -- 8, 11, 2, 5, and 8. There is plenty of time to drink in between, and the other 12 hours of the day I'm not eating. I drink about 200 ounces per day.

Don't overthink this, and don't create roadblocks for yourself. A good eating plan is really, really easy. It can be really, really hard to make ourselves do it. But it is really very simple as far as plans go.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Kinne
on 7/14/16 9:00 pm

Thank you Grim Traveller, Boy Hag!

I guess I was over thinking it. And we all know that that can cause non-compliance, such as my case. But no longer! I will start tomorrow (it's very late right now). 

But I figured out if I eat every three hours like you do, it'll be 10, 1,4,7...then what? I can't eat at 10. Right?

hollykim
on 7/14/16 8:55 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 14, 2016 at 9:16 PM Pacific Time, Kinne wrote:

Hi all. I had my RNY last year and jumped off the wagon months ago. I have not gained weight or lost weight since my RNY. All my fault. Well, I am starting the process of jumping back on! I have to follow the South Beach diet.

Question 1:  HOW do you fit three meals and 2-3 snacks, AND water (considering the no-no drinking before and after) into your day? I'm up from 10:00 - 2:00ish in the am. (I have insomnia). 

Question 2: I heard that my pouch, a year out, holds 1 1/2C's. How can I find out ounces instead of measurements? I have a scale.

if you have insomnia, there is no reason you can't drink the whole time you are up. You have to be drinking constantly the time you aren't eating.

White Dove
on 7/14/16 9:21 pm - Warren, OH

Years ago someone explained the no drinking before meals rule.  She said that surgeons believed fat people were on the stupid side and not smart enough to remember no drinking 1/2 hour after eating, so to keep it real simple for those real slow folks, they decided to tell them no drinking for 1/2 hour before or after meals.

Hopefully not true, but there is no reason not to drink before meals.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

cheapskate
on 7/15/16 9:04 am
RNY on 03/30/15

I have super long days too. I eat about 2 hours after I get up(so noon for you)  then 3,6, 9,12.....I also still use shakes and you can drink right after those. 

I think being home planning will be key so you aren't mindless eating. I know for most of us weekends are the  hardest. If you plan the night before or first thing in the morning you are less likely tograb and go. 

My menus are very repetitive because I don't eat alot of quantity ittakes forever to eat what I cook. But it has worked very wrll for me. 

We have a daily thread of what we eat on the RNY board and it would probably give you some great ideas. Also, there is a dense meat reset plan people have found very helpful. Maybe someone will post a link. 

NYMom222
on 7/15/16 11:11 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Grim is right - Don't overthink this, and yes you can drink up until you eat... it might of made a difference right after surgery in terms of getting the food in, but you are not right after surgery.

Being on Weigh****chers on and off over the years there was always that mentality of 'having to finish' all your food..... not the case here. Listen to your body. If you've had enough stop. As long s I've had enough protein grams for the day - for me at least 80, although I usually shoot for 100- I don't have to eat all my meals/snacks. I plan 6 meals and snacks for the day but don't necessarily eat them all...some days I do.

also if I am home, I will sometimes set the timer on my stove for 30 minutes to remind me to start drinking again....

Protein first all meals and snacks. You can do this!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 330 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 193 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 115 views