What's On Your Tuesday Menu, RNYers?

supershopper
on 7/26/16 7:21 am

just  checked! apparently there are classes you can take online and rent magazines, books and even language learning!!

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

AnnyBananny
on 7/26/16 7:23 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Yes! I forgot to mention Zinio for the magazines!

Public libraries are a wonder 

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

life_mirrors_art
on 7/26/16 10:43 am - Canada

It amazes me how libraries have met the technology challenge and forged ahead of so many other major institutions. I recently joined a second library system in a large nearby city (the one where I live is very good, but limited by population size). Now I can use Pressreader for newspapers from all over the world, Zinio for magazines like the New Yorker, Dwell, and other favorites, take language lessons, consult ConsumerReport to research upcoming purchases, get free software tutorials with Lynda.com, listen to music, watch videos with Hoopla (haven't done that yet), have access to zillions of ebooks and audio books, etc. ... All for a very modest annual membership fee that would not cover the cost of a single newspaper subscription. The local library is free - I only pay for the second membership because it's in a different library district.

libraries!

RNY on June 23, 2014  -  HW: 280, SW: 230, CW: 166, GW: 140

AnnyBananny
on 7/26/16 10:54 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

! You're a walking advertisement for public libraries, love it!

Public libraries in most areas of the country are truly thriving. As you've said, we're meeting and adapting to technological changes and challenges and meeting our patrons where they are. 

I'm often asked, particularly now in the midst of our expansion and renovation project, if libraries are still relevant - as you know, the answer is obviously YES! We've seen steady circulation for the past 30+ years and with the introduction of digital collections we just see an increase across the board, not a decrease in traditional media. Beyond that, the number of visitors to the library each year is what is truly growing - programs, meeting space, or "third place," people are coming through public libraries' doors in droves!

Ok....I'll calmly step off my soapbox now.

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

stacyrg
on 7/26/16 9:30 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I just looked and the Los Angeles County library has a ton of e-material available.  How did I not know this??

Lilly8985
on 7/26/16 6:49 pm

My mom works for the library system here (Geauga County, Ohio) purchasing books, etc. She talks about Overdrive all the time. Just thought it was funny that you mentioned it and do the same thing! I'll have to tell her, she'll be so excited! 

Emiepie
on 7/26/16 6:45 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Have so much fun.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Capogirl
on 7/26/16 6:57 am

Enjoy your day "down the shore".

life_mirrors_art
on 7/26/16 6:12 am - Canada

Good morning! Thanks for starting the post, Melissa.

QOTD: Real books for daylight reading and art books, eBook for night reading and travel. Much as I love real books, I need the backlit large-font options on the eBook when the ambient light grows dim and for reading in bed. When I travel or have appointments that require long waits, my eBook holds an endless variety of books to keep me entertained with no extra bulk. And I can check my email too!

B: roast pork

L: chicken

D: ham

S: blueberries, chicken nibblers

Try to stay cool today!

RNY on June 23, 2014  -  HW: 280, SW: 230, CW: 166, GW: 140

Deanna798
on 7/26/16 6:18 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Good morning Melissa, i hope everything is foods with AV. 

I have some spare time on my hands this morning.  Kal fell asleep on the drive to Chimney Rock State park. And this is why I'm sitting alone. 

Food. Well,  there was a limited amount of food ay the hotel this morning.  Continent breakfast,  which means carb fest. Luckily,  i had some boiled eggs that i brought with is in the cooler. 

Food is up in the air, but I'll do my best. We're going into Asheville this afternoon,  and I'm sure we'll find something appropriate for me.  

MQOTD: usually the kindle app on my phone it tablet,  bit i did pick up a paperback at the library not long ago.  I like the convenience of the kindle,  but sometimes miss the paper book.

Have a great day. 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Most Active
Recent Topics