Long term success without dedicated exercise?

seattledeb
on 9/26/16 7:54 pm

FINIS Glide Swimmer's Swim SnorkelSwim outlet .com  Swim snorkel

Makes swimming easier and much more pleasant. Different from a regular ocean snorkel.

CJ On Orcas
on 9/26/16 6:54 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

I love my pool!  Waiting a few more days until my incisions are completely healed to start my pool walking and swimming again.

seattledeb
on 9/26/16 7:49 pm

Get the okay from your doctor first. I think it might be just a tad bit early.

CJ On Orcas
on 9/26/16 8:21 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

That is what I am waiting for... Saw him last Thursday and he said probably later this week... As soon as one Last incision is completely healed.  All others are healed already!  Yay!  I have terrible arthitis and sciatica and just can't get in enough walking otherwise.  But you are right.  There are a lot of germs in those pools 

hollykim
on 9/26/16 1:51 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 26, 2016 at 3:39 PM Pacific Time, pammieanne wrote:

So I'm just curious. I know most everyone that has lost a significant amount of weight has gotten more active. Whether it's taking the dogs for a walk, bicycling, hiking, etc... everyone feels so much better.

But for those that are out from surgery for a significant amount of time, did anyone do it without dedicated exercise days, most likely several times a week? Is it possible to be successful, LONG TERM, without the dedication of working out?

I'm 4 months out, and I'm doing well with the weight loss... my numbers have been good, and my diet has been going along well. But I haven't made that jump to 'dedicated' exercise. I can come up with lots of really good excuses though, but I guess if I really wanted to hit a gym4-5 times a week I could make it happen. Thing is, I'm really not too motivated just yet. Honestly, I don't like aerobic stuff, and walking on a treadmill equates to sheer boredom and it's honestly not something I'm interested in at all.

I am doing more... I am doing the Color Run 5K next weekend... I've been bicycle riding a few times... I can walk further now (although it's not part of a routine for me). I work... I do Real Estate on the side... I have two teenage kids... and a pretty awesome spouse.

But my close friend, who is 5 months ahead of me in this journey is a workout fiend... she's a nurse, so she works 3-4 days/week, is single, and has grown kids... she's running, kickboxing, weight lifting, and gets in more steps that most regular folks who strive for 10K steps... 

I feel the pressure (internal pressure, from myself), to get on the bandwagon and do SOMETHING... dedicated... organized... but I just can't carve out the time (I don't want to)...

So... CAN you be successful - LONG TERM - without belonging to a gym, crossfit, kickboxing place? Can you do it and just be taking the occasional walk, bike ride, or fun run?

I feel like one of these days my life will slow down enough that I may want to join a gym - or similar - but for now, I'm happy in my chaotic life, sans the dedicated working out... But, I also don't want to sabotage anything long term. I want to be thin, and eventually fit!

I am six months out and have lost and maintained the loss of 121 # without any exercise. I also hate it.

Sunqueen15
on 9/26/16 5:34 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

I love that you posted this topic! I wish you would have done it one week and $608  in gym fees earlier LOL !!! Although, I was doing absolutely nothing since surgery but maybe a lot more house hold chores. I'm generally a very lazy person. I work a lot which still isn't very active at all and I was feeling really guilty and beginning to question my weight loss and if I was going to be stuck here. So I decided to help improve my chances of at least trying to maintain whatever I'm able to lose in the future. Everything always seems it can be argued both ways. I talked myself into the gym because I felt like I could only improve if I did. Plus I lost my butt and would like to perk that up! 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/26/16 7:26 pm

I don't participate in a formal exercise plan. I walk a lot and garden and lift heavy crap. I live in an old house with a lot of stairs, have three dogs, and have lots of stuff to keep me busy.

I had a five pound regain (because I ate too much)that I lost.  I run sometimes because I like it, but the gym is not for me. I take a water aerobics class or a dance class here and there, but for fun. 

My weight is dependent on what I eat, and I just tune people out if they start in with the virtues of their fitness regimen. If I exercise, I do it for fun. Otherwise it's just one more chore and a time suck.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

G2GAWAY
on 9/26/16 11:07 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

I had my surgery in May and didn't start at the gym until October. I hate to exercise, but I like how I feel when I have done it. I like to travel and hike and do adventure type things, so I want to exercise to make those things easier. Having said all of that, I agree that you cannot out exercise a bad diet.  So, diet first, activity second. Lots of people seem to be runners after WLS. Not me, not ever. I think the key is to find something you enjoy. If walking is it, then walk. I tried water aerobics for a while a couple of years ago, and it is not for me. The whole process of getting wet, having to shower off the chlorine, dry off, and change to go home was not for me. I like working with the personal trainer (I know there is a cost for that), but he pushes me far harder than I would ever do on my own and I am sooooo much stronger than ever before. It won't fix the skin, that's for sure, but it helps make the muscles underneath the skin so much stronger. I tell the trainer often that I will have to keep paying for training forever, because otherwise I would never go. The appointment keeps me committed. I am fortunate that my work reimburses me for almost all of the gym membership because that helps.  (I have to pay for the training).  I only go twice a week, but that is twice a week more than I was doing.  I won't be going at all in the month of October due to travel (personal and business), but I will be active during that time.  Good luck finding what works for you.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

pammieanne
on 9/27/16 11:09 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Absolutely! Exercise is so good for the body! I definitely agree with that!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Kathy S.
on 9/27/16 9:28 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

This question resonated with me big time.  The first few years out I was a gym rat.  Worked out at least 5 days a week, got into weight lifting, boxing and not only did I love it, but made me feel so strong and looked pretty darn good too   Life got in the way and I slowly stopped going.  I have always kept moving.  After seeing my husband losing ground with his health, it's Paramount to "MOVE".  What does that mean?  Find something, anything you can do, will do, want to do, hopefully love to do and do it!  As we get older I am telling you, moving is the lube that keeps our joints and all working and delays pain.

After losing my husband I have gotten back to biking, joined the gym again and do Zumba, and different classes.  Not gotten into the weights again but plan too (for health issues, light stuff). I also want to swim again. Never was good at it but it's one of those "MOVES" that we can take into our 70's, 80's and helps in so many ways.  Thanks for posting that snorkel, I had heard of it but not seen it.  

I recently bought a fitbit HR and it had issues with syncing.  Fitbit took it back and Ijust got my new one yesterday.  Bought the one that is water proof and looking forward to swimming with it.

https://www.fitbit.com/shop/flex2

So, just "MOVE".  Park far away, take steps, shop and walk all the isles.  

Congrats on your surgery and taking control of your health.  

Hugs,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
Recent Topics