Pre-op diet started, but it's rough

Scififiend
on 9/28/16 1:23 am, edited 9/28/16 1:33 am
RNY on 10/11/16

Or, "Scififiend and the horrible, no-good, very bad day." 

Yesterday was a bad day. I had worked six out of the last eight nights, and I was tired. I had also worked the last two nights caring for a very large, very ill teenage patient, and I was exhausted and STARVING. Day one of my preop (Monday), I had had 715 calories and 68g of protein. I also had had no caffeine. Do you know what it's like to be a night-shift nurse with no caffeine? Ugh. Double ugh when you factor in that I've had at least two caffeinated sodas a day, minimum, for years, not including coffee, tea, and caffeinated beverage mixes. My head was killing me all Monday night into Tuesday morning. Add to that, tragedy befell my blender bottle, so I was only having pre-made Slimfast high protein shakes for my meals. That added some monotony, even with the added sugar-free, low-fat foods I can snack on. Then, Tuesday, I couldn't go home and go to bed; I had to go to my nutrition class and my pre-op testing appointment, which was at 12:30pm. So, no sleep for me. Very few carbs, no caffeine, no sleep, and the same drink four times in a row, which left a nasty taste in my mouth. I was a very sad, angry panda Tuesday morning. I got through it with an early protein shake for the day (still slimfast, but it gave me a boost), my trusty water cup, and Tylenol liquid gels. Thankfully, they were able to work me in early for my preop testing (it always helps to be polite to everyone, even if you're in a low-carb rage inside), so I made it home by noon, ate some cream of wheat cereal (allowed on my plan) with milk, a lot of cinnamon, and some splenda, then took a long nap. Then I had some fuzzy navel Nectar for dinner, and that helped me not hate everything. 

I woke up this morning at 1am with a raging headache, still tired, and just miserable. I'm better after a little unfiltered apple juice cut with water (100% Juice is allowed) and some more Tylenol. I know I'm whining, but I could use some support from those who have done it. I'm drinking my protein, drinking my water, taking my vitamins, and logging everything into MFP. I'm not going to cheat, because this surgery means too much to me. I just really wish I could have some cheese right now. 

ETA: Also found out that my surgery is scheduled for October 11, not October 10. Whoops! Just as long as I show up on the right day, that's all that matters.

Sunqueen15
on 9/28/16 3:34 am
RNY on 03/21/16

I have been there!!! I work 12 hour nights as well and although I hate all things coffee, I lived off of 2 sodas a day. I spent my whole life never drinking enough. One 20oz soda during my awake hours and one during the night. When I cut that, I went through terrible headaches and craved carbonation like you wouldn't believe. But to prepare myself, I went cold turkey. You will make it through. I promise!! It is by far the hardest part of this process because you know that you can have it and your body can handle it, you're just not allowed :-( But remember it's worth it and trust me, I cheated on my preop diet, still managed to lose weight, and I'm not proud of it. I wish I wouldn't have because it made the struggle that much harder on the other side. Your head still tells you that you want all things bad and your stomach tells you otherwise. So I wish you the best of luck and you sound like you'r on the right track by sticking with it, so let it all out here and look forward to all the naps you can take while you recover for a few days after surgery! :-) 

supershopper
on 9/28/16 4:41 am

pre op meal is terrible we have all been there and believe it or not, there are some that have to be on the pre op for a month or more!! Can you imagine that???

Mine was only 1 week liquids with clear liquids the full day before and a bowel cleanse that I never never want to do again. I had lost 53 pounds before surgery so the dr only made me do 1 week instead of 2.

I stepped down on my caffeine so it was painful over time not all at once. I did 1/2 and 1/2 for at least a month before before a switched off totally.

once you are caffeine free a few days it does get better!!

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

hollykim
on 9/28/16 8:12 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 28, 2016 at 11:41 AM Pacific Time, supershopper wrote:

pre op meal is terrible we have all been there and believe it or not, there are some that have to be on the pre op for a month or more!! Can you imagine that???

Mine was only 1 week liquids with clear liquids the full day before and a bowel cleanse that I never never want to do again. I had lost 53 pounds before surgery so the dr only made me do 1 week instead of 2.

I stepped down on my caffeine so it was painful over time not all at once. I did 1/2 and 1/2 for at least a month before before a switched off totally.

once you are caffeine free a few days it does get better!!

just a reminder that every surgeon does not have a pre op diet so we have not "all" necessarily been there.

Teena D.
on 9/28/16 5:08 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

I don't know, I'm sorry- but lending my support for sure. I've read that it gets better so I hope that's how it is for you. I'm sure giving up cafeine cold turkey would be rough. Our centre doesn't make us give up coffee- other than the first couple of weeks after surgery because they want you to get your water in.

I'm very curious as to what fuzzy navel nectar is though.... 

You've got this! You're halfway through the first week and it will be so worth it.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

White Dove
on 9/28/16 5:29 am - Warren, OH

Too late now, but I advise people to cut out the caffeine long before pre-op.  Six months before surgery I quit the Diet Coke that I always had next to me.  I do not drink coffee so Diet Coke was my constant caffeine. By the time my pre-op started I was long past withdrawal.

My pre-op in 2007 was two weeks of water and clear liquids only.  No protein shakes at all.  I had diet ginger ale, diet cranberry juice, sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles, broth and water.  I made it through with no cheating.  I was so anxious for surgery to happen.

You will get through this and life will be so much better on the other side.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Insert Fitness
on 9/28/16 6:32 am

Holy! No protein at all! That's wild. I'm even more grateful for my 3 weeks of opti now!

i did the same as you, I cut out most things months before surgery. It was a few things less to worry about. 

Scififiend
on 9/28/16 5:37 am, edited 9/27/16 10:37 pm
RNY on 10/11/16

Thank you, everyone. The support really does make it easier. 

Daizymom, it's Syntrax Nectar, fuzzy navel flavor. Nectar is a very tasty fruity flavored protein shake. There are something like 15 flavors. The cream flavors you can mix with milk, but the juice flavors should be mixed with water. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/28/16 5:57 am

" Nectar is a very tasty fruity flavored protein shake. " preop it was..post op... Not so much. My tastes changed. 

The fruity protein shakes can be mixed with milk or nut milks - for more like "creamsicle" fruity taste.  You can even try to freeze that in popsicle molds. 

Don't stick on too much proteins - Ivan if you like it now. Post op taste changes. And some people develop allergies or sensitivities to whey. 

And most centers allow you to use decaff coffee - really blessing to cut the overly sweet taste of shakes ...

In my "full liquid stage" post op. I needed that so I could drink the sweet shakes. 

Good luck...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Scififiend
on 9/28/16 6:16 am
RNY on 10/11/16

That's a good point. I'm resisting buying the big tubs of protein because I'm concerned that my tastes will change and I'll be left with a bunch of powder I don't like. So, I got some sample packs for preop, and I'll likely get a tub of fuzzy navel if I need to. My parents drink that one and like it, so I can give it to them if I don't like it anymore.

I did get some unflavored, though, so I can mix it with soups or savory things. I can only do certain protein powders, because I have a sensitivity to xanthan gum. Nectar is one that I can drink.

Most Active
Recent Topics