The State Fair

Catek2652
on 10/2/16 3:27 am
RNY on 10/26/15

Friday just past my husband and I celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary and went to the Virginia State Fair. We went there on something like our second date about 18 years ago, so this was sort of a romantic get away for us. And we really did have a nice time of it.

Now, this was also a major NSV for me because the Virginia State Fair is sprawled out over a vast area and there are four distinct sections. There is an agricultural/educational section, the arts and crafts/vendors section, the rides section and then the livestock section (large animals like horses, cows, picks, goats and sheep). Well, unlike visits to the fair in the past (including our visit) we walked the ENTIRE thing. We didn't ride any rides because that cost extra and we weren't that keen on whiplash... but we walked it... all 11,354 steps of it! That's over five miles of walking folks and does not include my regular, at home walking of 2.5 or so walking everyday.

My bad knee felt a little puffy/stiff before bed, but by morning it was back to normal! Just amazing.

My hubby commented on how well I was getting around and kept asking if I was getting tired. I wasn't. We did take a seated break at lunch time and split a small tray of rib tips and he had fries and a soda with his... I stuck to water while we walked. He pointed out that in the past (we attend the fair about every third year), I could only complete one section or another except for that first date when we covered two sections. And I realized he was right and I also realized I had suffered in terrible foot and knee pain for days afterwards. And I had no problems ignoring the crap food... in the past I would have eaten a funnel cake, some ice cream and probably a couple of sodas along with a full meal of fried chicken strips with fries. What a difference.

And guess, what? On Saturday, I turned right around and took myself to the Fall Fiber Festival in Montpelier, VA and stood up all day and walked up and down the hill there without problem several times. And I'm not in pain today either.

This change in life is so good.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

selhard
on 10/2/16 4:28 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Happy #16.  Sounds like DH has his own mental adjustment period, too..."are you tired?...are you tired yet?" Way to go, Catek2652.

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/16 6:11 am

That is awesome!

Grim_Traveller
on 10/2/16 3:25 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

This is great.

But please change your post title. Every time I see it I get that damn song stuck in my head.

Our state fair is a great state fair,
Don't miss it, don't even be late.
It's dollars to donuts
That our state fair
Is the best state fair in our state.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sunqueen15
on 10/2/16 4:36 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

That is awsome! I too celebrated a NSV by going to our local fair this past week, two days in a row. Drank water, literally had 5 bites of protein forward foods and it didn't bother me one bit! In the past, I would have eaten my weight in food all day and night. This year I lost a lb and decided to schedule a vacation over that week next year because it just doesn't interested me for the same reasons anymore. Continue your success and enjoy your new ways of life! :-) 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 432 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 163 views
Recent Topics