A Stroll Down Memory Lane!

Dartmouth
on 11/3/16 5:21 am - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

Before I start this little epistle, I want to thank all the vets out there *****ally carried me on their shoulders for much of my journey even though I was one of the mostly silent ( believe it or not!) readers!

A stroll down memory lane!

2 1/2 years ago,I could not even manage a stroll down my street although the memory lane was littered with images of failed diets, shopping in tears for size 26 clothes, and the staring of strangers.

1 1/2 years ago, down 100% of my excess body weight, I danced into my surgeon's office in size 4 skinny pants with a little cardigan ( size x small) and he gasped...."you look like you are post chemotherapy ! What did you do?"  Well...I gave him a piece if my mind....I was normal BMI, I felt great and my family was thrilled....

LESSON 1: This is a job and treat it like one....stay focused, take care of yourself then you will be able to take care of others...listen to your body, I knew I was at the right weight for me....

1/2 a year ago, I danced into my surgeons office wearing size 4 skinny jeans and a size small sweater and he said...."you have gained some weight....you need to be careful!"  I had gained 4 lbs which was what he wanted....man, was I mad at him!  So mad, I gained another 4 lbs!

Lesson 2:  The honeymoon period is over, the real struggle begins.  I have learned you can't fight back with food, you only hurt yourself.  I have learned to be kind to myself, to try to relax into the routine of weighing myself everyday, think about how I am going to eat and walk each day but remove it from the obsessive part of my brain.  

Today I have struggled to loose my 4 lbs but I have done it.  This experience terrified me into realising 4 lbs becomes 8 lbs which becomes.....

Lesson 3: This is a rewiring process....the surgery gave me a new opportunity to live again.  I need to work on the rewiring of my brain, my heart and my life to grab that chance and fulfill that opportunity.  They never promised me a rose garden but I am going to build one!

Joan

pr31
on 11/3/16 5:35 am

Great insight.  Some healthcare professionals really need to work on what they say.  They should realize that many of us have head issues anyhow which contributed to our obesity.  A few comments like you received could really send us in the wrong direction if we allowed it to.

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

Dartmouth
on 11/3/16 6:45 am, edited 11/2/16 11:47 pm - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

I absolutely agree!  Your key words are "if we allow it to" and we need to learn that we have to develop the confidence in our selves and that is an important part of our journeys!

Thaks for your helpful remarks !

RJC5197
on 11/3/16 5:44 am - MI
RNY on 05/17/16

Thanks for sharing. My primary care Dr.s was really concerned I got WLS, and said I was really brave to take this step.

But after getting great test results on my last visit, more meds required, and weight was down 75+ lbs. at that time, he set my next visit for 1 year away. Not the typical 1 to 3 months visits due to my past diabetes, HBP, High cholesterol,  and sleep apnea.

Dartmouth
on 11/3/16 6:47 am - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

Well done!  So it was worth the challenge!

pammieanne
on 11/3/16 6:37 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I love your story, and there's a lot there for us Newbies to glean insight from! I think even at only 5.5 months out, I'm already seeing that this isn't going to be easy... my easy-ride is going to come to an end sooner than I can imagine. I have to stay diligent Forever!

Sounds like you've done a fantastic job! Congratulations!!!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Dartmouth
on 11/3/16 6:55 am - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

Thanks....you are right....you are well into your journey and it sounds like you are not looking at this through rose coloured glasses but you are realistic and focused !

A good and successful journey to you!

Most Active
Recent Topics