In the Hospital...

Karen9849
on 12/6/16 4:43 pm

Cheryl, I'm sorry to hear this.  I'm  so glad it was a minor stroke and hope they get to the bottom of the cause so you don't have to worry about this anymore.  Definately have some WLS foods brought from home.  You are a strong women, look what you have accomplished in the last three months.  You will get through this and be even stronger because of it.

I will keep you in my prayers.  Huggs

RNY 9/14/16  - Start Weight 192, Goal Weight 125

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/16 4:59 pm

Oh no!  You're strong so you'll be home soon.  Yes, hospitals suck.  

Be well my friend!

Jeff

Emiepie
on 12/6/16 7:01 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

Oh no! Hoping you feel better soon!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

seattledeb
on 12/6/16 8:15 pm

Hard to self diagnose a stroke.

Things I have eaten in the hospital.

milk

cheese

sandwich deconstructed

eggs of all sorts

and delivery Jimmy John's sandwich!

Oh..and pudding.

Feel better soon.

Kakesie
on 12/7/16 3:47 am
RNY on 02/19/16

OMG!  So sorry to hear about your stroke!  I'm glad it was a minor one and that you are getting lots of tests.  I agree with everyone else, you are definitely NOT a failure!  Quite the opposite!  I hope you can get some decent WLS friendly food somehow.  You are in my prayers!  Take care and kudos for keeping your sense of humor throughout this ordeal!

LisaK/ UnstapledLisa
on 12/7/16 6:44 am - plymouth, MN

Please tell me you are realizing you NEVER deserved this to happen to you. 

I fall in the category of someone who had major complications post rny that weren't my fault but not my bariatric surgeon's fault, either, sometimes as you said, life really can suck sometimes. 

Think of the fact that thin people have strokes all the time, it's not just something that's exclusive to people of weight. The fact that you recognized something was wrong, got immediate medical attention, as well as advocated for yourself in the hospital for your labs, is something you should be proud of yourself and rejoice in.

And hopefully others on here, will realize that while I believe like others, that wls and/or gastric bypass surgery is something they can do that will help their health, it unfortunately doesn't make people immune to other potential and possibly immediate fatal if not life ruining health isuses, post bariatric surgery. 

And it's NO ONE's fault. And sometimes if rny or any wls peep has issues with low blood sugar and/or low bp (or combination of) can feel sometimes like a possible stroke and it isn't, it's better to rule anything out. It's better to be able to write a post about feeling foolish than being dead or seriously disabled, because one didn't get medical attention on time because they didn't honestly know better. That's why I do some of the medical activism I do, that extends beyond the bariatric surgical population.  

So in addition to saving your own life and reducing the horrific consequences of those who do manage to live through a major stroke, you could've saved others lives by writing this. I hope MANY  others will read this. 

I wasn't able to get through all the responses you go to on here, the only thing I'll add, as medical activist, is there are really good videos on You Tube for example of how people can recognize the signs of a stroke by accredited medical professionals. Which if people get help right away, medical professionals can take action where they can not only save a patients life, but prevent any severe long term damage, if help is gotten quick enough. 

People see my name on here "UnstapledLisa" and think I'm anti-wls or anti-rny, I"m honestly not. I try to help provide realistic long term support for wls peeps in areas I feel passionate about. 

I hope you will keep us posted and again, I'm glad you're okay. But I can't empahsisize enough, that you did save your own life, by going to the hospital and by posting this you could've saved other's lives on here or one's they love, by starting this dialogue. 

CJ On Orcas
on 12/7/16 7:39 am
RNY on 09/09/16

Thanks, Lisa!  I did know he sitns of a stroke (FAST) and did know and do some of the tests... but was in denial that it could have happened to me.  Having a stroke is something that I would never have predicted for myself.  Anyway.  I did delay for two days.  Luckily for me it was considered a completed stroke and there was no further damage being done.  I am now in the hospital, getting blood thinners, anti coagulants, cholesterol meds, insulin... and lots of lab work.  No definitive conclusions yet, but they have said that they do know I had a stroke.  I am learning quickly.  Not much in the way of complications, just a little rightside weakness but I know I was/am very lucky.

That being said, it sucks.  I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that it happened. I hate the fact that my daughter now has to report that her mother had a str oke at age 58 on any medical history.  I understand anyone being in denial.  Hope to encourage anyone having symptoms to go to the hospital.

LisaK/ UnstapledLisa
on 12/7/16 8:16 am - plymouth, MN

It does suck, I'm gently saying and not trying to minimize what happened to you. And being able to talk about it, feeling safely supported, is essential. 

What I'm saying though after all these years in the wls community and I was exposed to wls, a long time ago, which is also another bizarre story (a parent had it), sometimes our surgeries throw us in paths we didn't anticipate. Both good and bad, but both personal good and good for others, can result. 

I can say to you, not trying to replace medical and mental health professional guidance, that you're allowed to be sad. But what I'm trying to say is, as someone who does medical advocacy outside of the wls community, you sharing your story, of as much as you feel comfortable, can help save people's lives. Because as you know, sometimes people when not in medical crisis know signs that may not know if they're in one. 

I'm not saying you have to become a medical activist ;). But I'm saying unknowingly that you sharing this,  could save a life. It could bring realization to others, that things like this can happen that's non bariatric surgically related, that you coldn't prepare for, but now something like this at least has the opportunity to help you and others, depending on what you feel comfortable with.

I'm also in no way discounting how scary of what you went through, by gently reminding you, that this could've horribly gone a different way. Your daughter could've had to report "my Mother died of a stroke at the age 58 on her future medical history. 

People wonder why I'm still in the wls community and it's cir****tances like you went through and I went through and countless others go through that help be able to provide support. I've had friends die after wls, for example due to being in a car accident. There are so many things even in the best possible wls cir****tances even if they aren't traumatic that throw wls peeps off. 

That's why realistic, well rounded support coming from peers, either preops to long term vets, can help others. I'm not trying to take away your justifiable need for support, I am though trying to say, you have a lot of things to be both sad and proud of, with this and hopefully you get the support you need. And if you feel comfortable give it. 

Huge Hugs.. 

LisaK/ UnstapledLisa
on 12/7/16 8:48 am - plymouth, MN

A few things I forgot to bring up in my last post as I can't imagine how overwhelming things may be for you right now. Or they may be okay. I'm in awe of how well you can articulate (not trying to come off condescending) after everything you've been through. 

Do you have support at home and while in the hospital for what you're going through? I didn't want to make the assumption that you were at a major medical facility that would ensure somehow that you have resources both while in the hospital and at home? As good as you can articulate and advocate for yoruself, it still can help as you've been through a lot, in the last 3 months.  

And hopefully just again, take things day by day, and please ask for support when you need it and keep us updated... 

Daisydoo02
on 12/7/16 1:28 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Cheryl how are you feeling?  I hope you are home now resting. 

Lets get something straight, you are not and never were and nor will you ever be a failure!  Stop talking that way. In fact I see the complete opposite!  I see a lady who has taken her health seriously and is working her butt off to continue on that road of health. 

Sorry the hospital food sucks!  Funny right, now you look for protein and sugar free stuff and healthy choices, love that!

Keep up the great work, get your butt better and get back on the menu thread!  

Thinking of you & sending healing vibes!  

Hugs!!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Most Active