What's on your menu today (Thursday) RNYers?

Patty R.
on 12/8/16 5:35 pm - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Wow, congratulations!!  Glad you're feeling better.

AmandaAnn
on 12/8/16 9:54 am - Dayton, OH

Good Afternoon Ya'll:

I didn't plan very well.  I'm actually a little worried.  I don't know how much my pouch is supposed to be able to hold at this point 3.5 weeks post op.  I was told soft mushy foods -- if tolerating proteins well, I could add a few wheat crackers. So last night I purchased one of the chicken salad snack kits. I was able to eat the entire thing over 30 minutes without any ill effect. That was 5 crackers and 3 ounces of the chicken salad.  Anyway, just confused on the size of my pouch or the lack of feeling when I may be full.

QOTD: Random? I'm a freaky fast typist - over 125 words per minute without error (in a timed test from written words) I can't begin to know my speed when typing from someone simply talking - I probably surpass 150 wpm. So I'm called upon daily to sit in meetings and type notes while the meeting is going on then send the notes to everyone at the end of the meeting... it's kinda fun.

B: scrambled egg with a few sprinkles of low-fat cheddar

S: BA Caramel Latte protein drink mixed into decaf coffee

L: 3 ounces baked chicken tenders

S: BA Caramel Latte protein drink mixed into ho****er

D: I'm going to make a huge batch of chicken & mushrooms with rice

Have a great day!  BTW, I really do love this forum!!

RNY on 11/14/2016 -- Miami Valley Hospital, Dr. Siddiqui HW: 302 -- SW: 295 -- CW: 209 -- GW: 145

RNY_elizabeth
on 12/8/16 10:42 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

This soon from surgery you might not actually be feeling.  Numbness from the healing incisions is probably still going on.  Not sure why you would be eating crackers.  Those are not good for us...well...ever. But especially this soon since surgery. Proceed with caution! Don't want to eat so much that you hurt your new little pouch.

~E

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

AmandaAnn
on 12/8/16 11:03 am - Dayton, OH

Wheat Crackers are on the approved list of foods from my surgeon, along with rice, toast, oatmeal, cream of wheat, corn flakes, Wheaties, rice crispies with skim milk -- all kinds of foods that I never ate when doing a low-carb diet.

The being numb makes sense. Really I don't know why I'm eating at all other than we're told to. I'd much rather just drink protein all the time.  I have zero hunger -- which I guess is why they say to get the protein drinks all day long.

RNY on 11/14/2016 -- Miami Valley Hospital, Dr. Siddiqui HW: 302 -- SW: 295 -- CW: 209 -- GW: 145

karenp8
on 12/8/16 11:35 am - Brighton, IL

Many surgeons have those foods on their plans but you will lose your weight much faster if you eliminate all the carbs you can. I am 4 years out and avoid rice,pasta,potatoes and bread and toast. I do eat oats now for breakfast but not before I had lost all my weight. I lost 150 plus pounds in 9 months and have been the same weight now for 31/2 years. When losing I stuck to protein and if I had room non starchy veggies like cauliflower,broccoli or green beans. I'm not sure why they end up on meal plans but I think they assume people will eat them anyway,listed or not. 

AmandaAnn
on 12/8/16 11:42 am - Dayton, OH

Then maybe I need to listen to my body and stick with the protein drinks for now and little nibbles of protein for meals. I keep feeling like "I'm supposed to eat 4 times a day because the paperwork says to." 

Thank you so much for your insight!!

RNY_elizabeth
on 12/8/16 12:13 pm - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

You might want to read some of the advice from the Vets on here.  Often times the NUT at centers are not well trained in working with RNY and recommend things that would really be not in the best interest for us.  I can't think of a good reason to be eating any of those carb things especially this early. I'm pretty new to this myself but it just seems like you are taking up room in your pouch with things that are not a good protein ratio.  I try for the 1g of protein per 10 calories as much as I can.  That way I am not wasting calories without getting a good protein in there.  I've gotten bad about that off and on but in general that is the goal for me. For oatmeal I do have the Quaker Oats "Weight Control" Maple and Brown sugar sometimes.  Especially if I think I need the help for constipation.  It has pretty good protein and fairly low sugar so it works good for me. If I were you I would try for cottage cheese or Greek yogurts before I went with crackers or cream of wheat.  Just my two cents. Free advice is always worth at least what you pay, right? 

~E

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

pammieanne
on 12/8/16 11:51 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I'm still pretty new, but I learned so much from listening to those that came before me on this board... it's amazing to me how much you can learn here!

FWIW... mushrooms (cooked) and I had a hard time at the beginning... and I still can't handle chicken breasts very well... try the riced cauliflower if you want a low carb alternative to the rice for your dinner, I've been using it, and that's some amazing stuff right there!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

CJ On Orcas
on 12/8/16 11:54 am
RNY on 09/09/16

You don't know if you are full now.  No nerves yet,  eat your portion and stop... good for you on eating chicken salad so early.  I still cannot do it at 3 months out.

I would skip the crackers though.  Slippery slope there.  I would also skip the rice.  You are not absorbing carbs so much but vets will tell you your best hope is to kick that habit now.  I am not a vet but trying to follow their example.

catwoman7
on 12/8/16 2:44 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I'm a heavier carb eater than most of the folks on here (I eat around 100 g of (good) carbs a day), but your list is really carb-y even for *me*.  And at 3.5 weeks out, I wasn't anywhere near 100 g a day - I was eating mostly protein and a little bit of non-starchy veggies.  So yea - that's pretty heavy - esp for being so early out.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 267 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 316 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 332 views