I'm new to the group

Archamedes
on 12/27/16 4:45 pm
RNY on 01/30/17

I am 5 foot nothing and weigh 205 now.  This is after a 12 pound weight loss.  I'm in the 6 the month of the pre-surgery bariatric program.  My surgery date hasn't been set yet.  I find out in January when it is.  I'm having the surgery because I have never been able to maintain a healthy weight.  I have always been heavy and now at age 52 am suffering the inevitable issues from being overweight on a small 5 foot frame.  I have high blood pressure, failing joints, bad knees, fatty liver disease and degenerative disk disease in my back, all caused by my weight.  In short, I need a lifestyle change because what I have been doing clearly didn't work. I am hoping that the surgery will be the tool I need to free me from constant pain and some of my medication.  I came here to get advice and support from others like me. I need to lose about 80 lbs and keep it off.  My DDD ( degenerative disc disease) is bad and I'm unable to walk without a cane.  I'm hoping that with weight loss, the pain will lessen and I can be stronger and healthier.  I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's stories, victories and lending support to those who are not having such a great day.  Thanks !

Mahalo F.
on 12/27/16 6:22 pm

Hello and welcome! 

Congratulations on making a decision to use gastric bypass surgery as a tool to improve your health and mobility.

You will love and get to know the amazing people on this very informative and supportive site... 

The degenerative disc disease was not caused by your weight.

It is unfortunate that many of us develop DDD even when we are young.  Lugging around the added weight is difficult.  The weight loss will most definitely increase your mobility.  It may ease the added strain on those joints.

Losing weight will definitely increase your well being.

Wishing you all the best throughout this journey and continue to come back and become more informed.

Take care

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Archamedes
on 12/29/16 11:51 am
RNY on 01/30/17

Thanks!  I am really looking forward to less pain!  The largest area of disc degeneration is in my L5, it is bone on bone and makes my life miserable.  My neurologist explained that most of your weight is carried in that area and my weight is causing more rapid degeneration than someone of normal stature. I don't like using narcotic pain medication so even though I do cave and take it when it gets extremely bad, I try not to take it and use other methods like heat, ice and rest.  Having this surgery is a drastic measure for me but I see it as another tool to help me overcome this pain with a healthier me!

CelticRavens
on 12/27/16 7:05 pm
RNY on 12/19/16

Hi Archamedes! I have the same physical problems as you. I just had my RNY last week & am also hoping for the same things as you.

I dieted my way up to 415lbs since I was 18. I'd lose the weight, go off the diet, regain the weight + 10-20lbs more, get depressed & give up for a year or two. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. I desperately needed this tool to help me change my life not just my eating habits for a few weeks/months. I'm feeling fine, my surgeon's nurse said I was doing well with my water & protein goals this morning.

I hope you have the same outcome after your surgery. If you ever want to talk I'm not shy so message me. :)

Something to consider & talk to your Dr about if you like ~  I came off my blood pressure medicine 1 1/2 years ago when I began working with my PCP's clinic nutritionist. I've always been a chocoholic & began adding Hershey's Natural Cocoa Powder to my protein drink in the mornings. I had no idea, til Denise told me, that cocoa lowers blood pressure. When my Dr saw my numbers going down too much she asked if I wanted to continue with the prescription or use the cocoa powder.

I asked her if she knew me at all! 

For me, 2Tbsps in a full blender everyday keeps Losartan away.

CJ 55 6'1 HW 415 SW 349 CW 263

Surgeon's goal - 245lbs My goal - 215 -195lbs

Archamedes
on 12/29/16 12:01 pm
RNY on 01/30/17

Cocoa powder...I never knew that and will definitely have to try it!  I also take losartan and two other medications for blood pressure. 

CelticRavens
on 12/29/16 12:53 pm
RNY on 12/19/16

Yeah I was stunned when my nut, Denise, said that! I started laughing at the fact that I'd fallen backward into something healthy chasing my chocolate fix.

Since then I've told nurses, friends, strangers, just about anyone who makes eye contact with me really. Everyone knows someone, if it's not themselves, who has high blood pressure. It's worth a shot, but do talk to your Dr about it. I was doing both my Rx & the cocoa so my Dr saw it was having a good effect before I came off my pills. Good luck!

CJ 55 6'1 HW 415 SW 349 CW 263

Surgeon's goal - 245lbs My goal - 215 -195lbs

OneBlueSock
on 12/28/16 6:15 am
RNY on 06/21/17

Welcome to the group!   I've struggled with back problems myself, not DDD but disc issues that were exacerbated by my weight.  I'm looking forward to much happier joints post-surgery.  I should find out a date sometime in January myself.  This is a good group of people...keep posting :-)

Kelsey

Banded: 9/14/06

Band Removal: 3/15/17

Revision to RNY: 6/21/17!!!

I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement & physics

Archamedes
on 12/29/16 12:03 pm
RNY on 01/30/17

I like that... We should form the "happier joint group"  lol

I certainly am looking forward to that!

One Bad Beach
on 12/28/16 6:36 am
RNY on 11/28/16

Welcome to the group and congratulations on making the best decision you will have ever made for your health.  Everyone here knows what it's like to struggle with our weight. 

A lifestyle change is what we all needed when we first started, so I encourage you to post on the daily menu thread.  There, you will get to know some great people, get some good ideas, and get support that you need.

Again, WELCOME! 

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me." --Carol Burnett

RNY 11/28/2016

HW 285 - SW 244

Emiepie
on 12/28/16 6:55 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Welcome! I hope you have time to visit and post often. There is great support here.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 88 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 368 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 308 views