Are you aware of more bitter tasting foods post RNY??

cabin111
on 12/31/16 11:28 pm

I've shared this before...But it's been a few years I think.  Post Op when I started to eat and drink different foods, I became more aware of any bitterness in a food or drink.  I use to drink a beer now and then pre op.  But post op most beers taste very bitter to me.  The same goes with coffee.  I like McDonalds Coffee.  It is about the only coffee I choose to drink.  They brew it hotter and longer than most places (that may take out some of the bitterness).  They also use Arabica Beans...Which tend to be less bitter.

So anyways, are there food or drink items that you have turned away from, because your taste buds have changed??  Was it because of bitterness or just that your taste buds changed.  Brian  PS  I really enjoy sauerkraut now.  Before I could take it or leave it...Go figure.

JaxLiving
on 1/1/17 6:45 am - Spanish Fort, AL
RNY on 05/27/16

I don't necessarily notice bitterness, but my tastes have definitely changed. I always liked fruit, but now I love it and crave it! I eat plenty of protein, but my treat is now fruit! 

SW:223, CW: 134.2; GW: 125, RNY: 5/27/16

catwoman7
on 1/1/17 7:39 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I think I was more like you (the OP) - my tastes changed in that my sense of taste became more intense.  Sweet things tasted sweeter - spicy things tasted spicier (I haven't specifically noticed bitter - but that may have become more intense as well - I guess I don't eat many bitter things because I've never liked bitter foods).  As far as liking some things I didn't before - and vice versa - that really didn't happen for me.  Well, I can't stand things like those grocery store bakery cakes with the sickeningly sweet frosting anymore, but I think that's more related to the "sweet things tasting sweeter" phenomenon.   I'm still fine with cake as long as it's not sickeningly sweet.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

OneBlueSock
on 1/1/17 9:55 am
RNY on 06/21/17

I wish there was a way to sneak-preview what our taste-buds will be like post-surgery!  

Kelsey

Banded: 9/14/06

Band Removal: 3/15/17

Revision to RNY: 6/21/17!!!

I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement & physics

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/17 10:33 am

Yes! Coffee is less enjoyable now. Water doesn't taste as good. Tomato Soup tastes great (I used to like it OK)! Several foods just taste different! Good and Bad.  

Amy Liz
on 1/1/17 12:20 pm
RNY on 11/21/16

I totally agree on the coffe and water!! Tomato soup has always been a favorite of mine! 

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 176 GW 175

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/17 10:40 am

Beer?

Grim_Traveller
on 1/1/17 12:06 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I never noticed any change in taste, or what I liked and disliked after surgery. No change in those regards at all.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

alaskasusan
on 1/1/17 10:19 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

Funny thing that I've noticed is that I do enjoy some things now that I would never touch before. I can't believe it but I like black coffee now (long time sweet tea drinker and that's off the table now). And then there was the day I tasted a beer (my sons enjoy one now and then and always offer me a sip), knowing that of course I would not like it. But was I ever surprised to find that I did like it - a lot!  But that has to be off the table too, but it's not a hardship like saying goodbye to my sweet tea was haha.

A long-time sweets lover, I cannot abide sweet things now; will maybe take a small taste when someone pushes me to try their dessert but it's an easy thing to pass up - and that is one I am grateful for.  Interesting how thing**** our taste buds and our brains post-surgery, huh.

CJ On Orcas
on 1/3/17 11:16 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I notice the smell of things more, and texture.  Cannot stand hard boiled eggs now, but used to love them.  Used to love shrimp, scallops, but they are now too rubbery.  The smell of turkey is horrible, any form.  I always liked hot sauce but now I am in love with it.  Same with pepper.  I hate lukewarm water.

Interestingly enough, raw meats work fine for me.  Lox, sashimi, very rare steak are all great.  It is a mystery.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 276 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 323 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 344 views