Tips or tricks or what to expect for RNY?

teelo
on 1/9/17 12:37 pm

Hello everyone! I'm currently going through the process to have the RNY done. I've completed everything and it's being submitted to insurance now. Once it is approved, I'll be seeing the surgeon again and will be scheduling my surgery date (most likely early February).

I've been reading alot of posts from everyone in the forums here and was wondering if anyone wanted to share some tips or tricks or pointers on what to expect for the surgery, or things you would've done differently had you known what you know now - that kind of thing.

Feel free to share anything - I'm definitely open to suggestions on vitamins, protein shakes, or basically anything that would be helpful for me once I have the surgery done. Thanks guys :)

pammieanne
on 1/9/17 1:29 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Welcome!

My Number One piece of advice... Come here and start posting in the Daily Menu post. You can see what other people are eating, how far along they are, and get great advice on food in general.

Don't put too much stock in the Nutritionist (NUT) that you meet with. As nice as they are, and as well meaning, you will find contradictory information, and for me, it's better to listen to those that have been successful (for years) here. 

Learn now that the surgery is the easy part - even if it doesn't feel like it at first. Once you've made it through a few months after surgery, hunger creeps back in, and the Brain is your worst enemy.

Log all of your food in something like My Fitness Pal. Always. Every single bite.

Understand that your most important time for losing is during that first year. There's no such thing as 'losing too quickly' with RNY... you DO have a window to lose the easiest, and you want to take advantage of this.

Don't stock up on protein shakes prior to surgery... your taste buds change, and you may not like them. Also, whey isolate protein is the best for us to absorb. Try to use that.

Oh... and let me reiterate the most important one... come HERE and get to know everyone. Post in the Menu thread, find your accountability!

One last thing.... HANG ON... because it's a hell of a ride!

The VETS here are THE BEST. You might not always like their answer, but they are just being 'real'... there's not a ton of sugar-coating sometimes, and honestly, I like that part the best.

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

teelo
on 1/9/17 3:09 pm

Thank you so much for all this - it's VERY helpful! I was about to stock up on protein shakes, but I'm so glad I haven't yet! And the MyFitnessPal app is a GREAT idea - thank you!

I'm so excited to meet everyone and get to know everyone and to be able to share my experiences once I have the procedure done

stacyrg
on 1/9/17 5:42 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Go over to the Menu thread and start posting now!  It will help you get in the groove of things before your surgery.  Also, the sooner we get to know you, the more we can help (If you want help . . .)  I shouldn't be including myself in that group as I'm still trying to figure it out, but I have made some amazing friendships over on the menu thread.  Come on over!

CJ On Orcas
on 1/9/17 1:34 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

I read through a lot of posts.  Everyone is different.  If I had one thing to not do, it would be stock up on anything.  Your tastes may change.  I was certain I would continue to love what I loved pre-surgery but did not and am stuck with things I now hate (tuna, shrimp, sweet protein drinks, prepared pureed foods).  And your tastebuds will continue to change, sometimes one thing tastes good then the next time it might make you queasy.  I have a LOT of vitamins I could not tolerate, especially chewables.  

Good luck!  Great ride!

teelo
on 1/9/17 3:12 pm

Thank you so much! I haven't stocked up on anything yet - I was about to, though, and I'm glad I haven't. It's going to be life-changing and I'm very excited for it. I keep seeing everyone sharing on here who's had this procedure done and how much weight they've lost and it gives me so much hope. :)

CJ On Orcas
on 1/9/17 4:28 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

It is life changing.  Hard work... so worth it.  First diet ever for me (and I've been on many, many diets) where the scale went down every week.  Okay, maybe not every week... but never up and eventually down ;)!

Doxie-mom
on 1/9/17 5:48 pm
RNY on 03/13/17

Hello - I am in the same place as you are right now, waiting for insurance approval.  Once I am approved I have 3 one hour nutrition classes to take and then finally can get surgery.  I am hoping for the end of January, but mine will probably be the first part of February too.

Tammy

HW: (9/28/16) 369.8 / SW: (3/13/17) 285 / CW: 162.8

Pre-op loss (6 1/2 Months) - 84.8 pounds

M1 - 17.2, M2 - 17.2, M3 - 13.4, M4 - 15.4, M5 - 13.8, M6 - 13.6, M7 - 10.8, M8 - 9.6, M9 - 5.0, M10 - 2.4, M11 - 3.8

Emiepie
on 1/9/17 6:27 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

Welcome!! I can second everything everyone else has already said. This site has been an important part of my journey. I find support here from people that are going through or have gone through what I am so they can relate. Some people who have not had WLS might say or think it's the easy way out.... trust me it's not easy! My best advice is to stick to your plan and make the most of the crazy ride. Hope to see you post often!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Most Active
Recent Topics