I'm feeling afraid...

NasaJen
on 1/24/17 8:24 pm
RNY on 12/09/16

About several things really, and I knew this would be the place to air them out.

1.  I'm afraid to stop eating slider foods.  I'm afraid eating chicken, pork, etc. will get stuck and I'll throw up.  Saw my Surgeon yesterday for my 6 week Post Op.  He had me list all of the foods I eat. He told me that I have got to start eating solids, and get away from the constant yogurt, protein shakes, cheese, etc.   I am finished with the slow transition to regular food, and have been for a good week.  My I am seriously afraid to eat solid proteins. I don't want to be in pain because I accidently ate one bite to much or because I accidentally didn't chew well enough.  I know the solid proteins will stay in my pouch longer, I get that.  Still doesn't calm the fear.
  2. I'm afraid I'm going to wake up and that's it.  It will have stopped working and that's it.  The 40 I've lost will be it.  I would weigh myself multiple times a day to "check" if I didn't stop myself.  

Just afraid and nervous....

LapBand: 3.2.10

RNY: 12.9.16

Highest: 451

Morning of RNY: 283

Current: 195

CathyV
on 1/24/17 9:14 pm

Well, number 2...I don't know if that ever goes away. I see very long timers on here talk about being afraid of regain. 

Number 1...well, food will probably get stuck. It happens. It sucks, a LOT. I'm the beginning, take tiny bites and chew a lot. Use dips and such to make the food very , moist. But those episodes happen. I'm five months out and haven't had one in a good while, and then boom, a couple of days ago, it happened. If it happens, throw it up. Don't try to keep it down. It's coming up anyway. Just get it over with. Then wait an hour, then slower work on getting lots of fluids in, and maybe be extra gentle on the pouch until the next day, because it'll be unhappy. 

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

lykapal
on 1/25/17 4:16 am
RNY on 05/16/16

My surgeon was very good about letting me ease into solids. I was nervous too. I added an extra week of liquids, then stayed on purees for an extra 2 weeks. As long as I was meeting my protein and liquid goals I was allowed the time I needed to progress comfortably. But they also encouraged me to help my pouch learn how to handle real food. I made it by having 1 solid meal a day for like a week. Definitely use some sort of dip or condiment. All of my early "stuck" episodes were because I don't like condiments and tried to eat chicken breast plain. (I also still have stuck episodes for no apparent reason at 9 months) Take your time, but try a few bites once a day, your pouch has to learn how to work. Be patient with yourself, you'll get there. :) 

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

lizz122964
on 1/25/17 6:08 am

Hi there, just wanted to tell you I'm almost 8 months post op and fortunately I haven't had anything get stuck. Just take it slow, follow the rules cut the food small, chew well and see how it goes. Good luck, you can do this. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/25/17 6:20 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I just want to give you another perspective -- at three years out, I can assure you that  your surgeon is absolutely right.  The surest way to make WLS not successful is to eat slider foods.  These are the foods that make it possible to "eat around our surgery" and the sooner you transition to dense protein, the better off you will be.

I know it's scary -- but your surgeon is right.  Take it slowly -- add a new food every few days.  Chew well -- and if it doesn't work out well the first time -- wait a week or two and try again.

Good luck to you!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Katiegirl83
on 1/25/17 9:14 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 12/19/16

oh no!  Dont be afraid! I am 5 weeks out and eating solids.. matter of fact I am chewing on a piece of chicken right now! Of course if you don't chew properly you will have a bit of pain.  Just make sure you chew, chew, chew and if not you will learn to chew pretty quick! :) you can do it!

I have similar feelings re: #2.  I really need to stop weighing my self everyday because it can be discouraging. Deep down be both know that it will work as long as we work hard, follow the rules and keep a positive attitude. Currently I am just going with the flow - I have stalled for a few weeks now but I have faith that everything will fall into place.

All the best!

Orientation HRRH: October 27, 2015   Dr. Hagen (Surgeon): July 11, 2016   Trio: September 13, 2016   Dr. Glazer: October 7, 2016    Dr. Hagen: October 11, 2016   Surgery date HRRH: December 19, 2016

CJ On Orcas
on 1/25/17 9:56 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I am only about 4-1/2 months out from surgery, but I eat a lot of greek yogurt, protein shakes and cheese.  Dense protein is very hard for me to digest, makes my stomach very upset usually.  I keep trying - my goal is to have something meat several times a week.  But as long as I meet my protein goals, my NUT is okay with my continuing with yogurt.  Getting food stuck is horrible, second that you just have to throw it up and start over.  Chew well, eat slowly.  If it does not go well, back off for a week or two.  I still have a LOT of trouble with chicken and tuna, anything rubbery too.  Recently chicken started going down better.  It just takes time.  You are not very far out.  Calm down, go slow.

One Bad Beach
on 1/25/17 2:55 pm
RNY on 11/28/16

I have found that if I cut my food up like you would for a toddler, most things won't get stuck.  Think about putting something pea-sized in your mouth and chewing it about thirty times.  More than likely, it's not going to get stuck.

I did have a couple of "stuck" episodes early on in my solids.  One thing I know, you cannot chew cucumbers well enough and baby carrots in a stew don't get mushy enough.  They'll get stuck.

I figure if you never try, or it never happens to you, you don't learn that lesson for yourself.  I did try some stuff, and it didn't work.  Now, I know better than to even risk it for a while longer.

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me." --Carol Burnett

RNY 11/28/2016

HW 285 - SW 244

conazza
on 1/25/17 4:40 pm, edited 1/25/17 8:40 am
RNY on 09/23/16

I think you are suffering from Post traumatic band syndrome!! I notice you had a lapband. I did as well and revised to RNY 4 months ago. I've gotten "stuck" once since surgery, and while it was bad, it's nothing like the band, and I mean that in the best way. Things I never could have eaten with the band are completely fine. Also, because we've had the band we know how to be careful when eating, etc. just go slow!

Lap band: 2006. Revision to RNY 9/23/2016

8/2/17: Goal Reached: 135lbs. & 115lbs lost (5'3")

Pre-op: 250, SW 242, CW 125, GW 135

Pre-op: 9lb M1: 20lb M2: 11.5lb M3: 11.9 M4: 13.4 M5: 10.8 M6: 10.2 M7: 8.1 M8: 8.4 M9: 6.5 M10: 5.7 M11: 3.5 M12: 4.3

TXJess
on 1/25/17 5:59 pm
RNY on 12/27/16

Do you like fish.My doctor b.s. me on soft proteins now. Cheese, cottage cheese, fish, canned chicken or tuna. I don't get dense proteins until six weeks.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 422 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 352 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 267 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 159 views
Recent Topics