Help!!! Plateau...need help with food ideas.

marias14
on 2/10/17 10:57 pm
RNY on 06/09/16

So I am 8 months post op yesterday and have been on a plateau for 3 weeks.  Getting very depressed about it.  The doctor took me off my diuretic med for blood pressure 3 weeks ago and I'm not sure if I'm retaining water now or what.  I have lost at 1 lb a week since surgery until 3 weeks ago.  I haven't lost or gained.  I really need help with suggestions on what to eat.  I haven't really had to think about it until now.  I do protein a shake for breakfast and usually one in the late afternoon to early evening.  I had been doing half a cup to 3/4 of a cup of chili for lunch.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you! 

NYMom222
on 2/11/17 1:09 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I had a protein shake daily for the first 2 years. 2 shakes a day seems excessive you should consider eating more real food.

Dense protein then some green veggies if you have room.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Queen JB
on 2/11/17 4:18 am
RNY on 07/20/15

First of all, plateaus are perfectly normal! They happen here and there along the way, and there is nothing to panic about (as long as you are really being honest with yourself about what you are eating). I am pretty sure that just about every vet here had a few stalls along the way that brought them to tears. It is just how the body works...

If you are looking for menu ideas to switch things up, please feel free to join our daily thread called: "what's on your menu...". Every day, quite a few of us post what a typical day in our pouches looks like. You can get lots of good ideas from people who are at different points post op. That thread has been going on every day for over three years, so going back in time can get you more food ideas than you know what to do with! 

But even if you are not interested in reading through a zillion posts (we can get wordy, lol!)...the best advice is always DENSE protein. Switch out one of your protein shakes for 3 oz of chicken or steak. You will likely feel much more satiated and you'll get more protein, too. Switching things up sometimes gets the plateau to break. Good luck!

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

CathyV
on 2/11/17 6:07 am

That's great that you are off a med though! I bet it is related to that since they coincided...maybe your body adapting to moving water without the med? I haven't had a true stall yet, but my nutritionist told me when one happens to change things up somehow...with food, with exercise...our body's get good at becoming super efficient with how we always do things. 

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

Kala2032
on 2/11/17 6:23 pm - Marrero, LA
RNY on 02/08/16

I have to agree with the rest of them. You shouldnt be drinking your calories at this point. The object here is to be moving away from liquid calories and protein and getting it into food. Dont be afraid to get into routine as well. away from the protein shakes that is. I workout Monday-Saturday and every morning first thing I do when I come home is make myself my breakfast. You will find me in my kitchen. Chili is good for me when i am out and about but its a last resort thing. I try to plan ahead and pack when i go out.

I am more of a lurker (But i need to start posting in the whats on my menu cause i need to lose 11 pounds fast well more but yeah) but the whats on my menu like the above poster suggest is awesome. I lurk there for ideas.  Meats, cheese, yogurt lots of things at your disposal if you dont have any food intolerance. Good luck, you will get this. as far as the plateau I saw it mentioned in another post. Dont be so worried about it cause one day you are gonna wake up get on the scale and see 5 pounds are gone overnight and just like the rest of us you will hop on and off the scale 5 or 6 times cause you think your scale is broken. LOL. You got this. 

Height 5' 10, HW: 538 lbs 05/2015, SW: 444 lbs 2/2016, CW:213lbs 8/2017

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 363 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 201 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 118 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 14 views