Good consult, but which to pick?

NYMom222
on 2/26/17 5:18 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I had gotten to a point in my life where even when I went on very strict diets I never lost more than 10lbs... even though in the past I had lost 100lbs 5x... I felt restriction alone wasn't going to be enough, I needed the advantage of malabsorption to get me on my way. Any change in eating you are going to lose the most the first year. My BMI was 52, and wanted whatever was going to allow me to lose the most...quickly.

I honestly wasn't that familiar with the sleeve at the time and there has been a huge shift since my surgery in people having sleeves. My allergist/pulmonologist felt I had what is called hidden GERD... which I didn't believe, but I was unwilling to do the test needed. I now see he was right, so am really glad I did RNY...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

One Bad Beach
on 2/28/17 9:10 am
RNY on 11/28/16

I'm a couple days late on answering this one, but I hope you still get the notification and come back to read it.

I asked the same question a few months ago.  There was a lady.....just one....that told me that she had the sleeve, uncontrollable GERD, and ended up revising to RNY.

I only wanted to go under once for this.  One Hit Wonder....that's what I wanted to be!

So, doc told me there was a small maneuver that he could do to help with GERD down the line, but the failure rates were at 20%, and that was just too much for me!

Good luck in whatever you decide.  WLS is mind blowing!

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me." --Carol Burnett

RNY 11/28/2016

HW 285 - SW 244

Most Active
Recent Topics