Liver-shrinkage diet

rachelp
on 3/1/17 12:46 pm
VSG on 08/01/16

Mine consisted of protein shakes, cottage cheese, sf jello & pudding, any broth, creamed soups or soups with small bits like chicken & stars. I could puree soups with chunks like beef stew. I only had to do it for 5 days. I was told to stay under 1200 cals but I was at 400 or 600 a day. During that time I felt weaker than I ever felt post-op. If you find yourself starving, warm broth helps you feel satisfied. SF popsicles helped a lot too. 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

teelo
on 3/1/17 1:40 pm

That's pretty similar to what mine is, too! I can have 1/2 cup of creamed soups as an "approved snack" and I can have everything else you listed. My best friend went through it and they didn't give her a specific diet, just high protein, low carb and low cal... so I felt like mine was a little strict, but it's not at all-- we actually get more options than some and it makes me feel so much better lol. Thank you so, so much for sharing! This really helped me!

Loril1963
on 3/1/17 12:56 pm
RNY on 10/28/16

Mine was 2 weeks of optifast and I could have up to 2 cups of salad a day with lemon only. Unlimited broth

WW0747
on 3/1/17 2:05 pm
RNY on 08/01/16

I was on liquids for a week. Protein shakes 3 times a day, chicken broth, etc.. Stick to it. You can do it.

OneBlueSock
on 3/1/17 2:21 pm
RNY on 06/21/17

I'm scheduled for the day after yours...and I just started mine today. My center's program is actually very different compared to when I had my lap-band done.   I'm allowed to have lean meats, some veggies....staying away from sugars/starchy carbs.  Lots of water, no high fat stuff like mayo.  1500 calories, and then the day before surgery I go to clear liquids....so the typical stuff, jello/popsicles/broth.

This isn't a big change from what I've already been doing so it wasn't a huge adjustment....I'm definitely glad I've been 'practicing' since the start of the year, my brain wasn't all like OMG WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME!!!

Kelsey

Banded: 9/14/06

Band Removal: 3/15/17

Revision to RNY: 6/21/17!!!

I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement & physics

teelo
on 3/6/17 5:55 pm

Oh I know that feeling! I had a bit of practice before I actually started the diet, but not enough apparently, because my body and brain were both like "Um... where's the food?!" Feel lucky that you're able to have that diet -- the liquid one can get a little hard, especially when you have dinners and luncheons to go to during the 2-week period of the diet (it really sucks watching other people eat everything I love and I only get to have water or chicken broth). Good luck to you, though! Stay in touch and let me know how your surgery goes! :)

wannabesupermomm
y

on 3/1/17 2:22 pm - New York, NY
RNY on 10/25/16 with

Mine was similar. Up to 5 shakes (off a list of specific brands/servings, etc.) a day, as much water, diet snapple, cristal light, etc. as you'd like, and up to 1 cup of non-carb veggies, like broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, for 2 weeks. SF jello and SF popsicles were limited to 30 calories worth a day, but otherwise there were no specific calorie restrictions. I would estimate I was getting between 300-500 a day at that time. But I lost 16 pounds that way, and had a very safe and successful surgery. You can do this!

RNY w/ Dr. George Fielding @ NYU 10/25/2016

LBL, BL, MASTOPEXY, FLANKPLASTY, BRACHIOPLASTY w/Dr. Joseph Capella @ Hackensack 07/11/2018

Stay tuned!

teelo
on 3/6/17 6:36 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this with me! I think I lost 10 lbs in three days doing this diet, so it's been a blessing in disguise. As tough as it is, the bright side is that I'm already losing weight before surgery! Sounds like are diets were/are pretty similar... but lucky you that you got to have a cup of non-carb veggies... I would die for a cup of broccoli or carrots right now! :)

Caroljo4444
on 3/1/17 2:23 pm

Congrats on the beginning of your new life! It is a journey, so just embrace it as much as you can. I had to lose 10% of my weight before my dr would do my surgery and it was hard, and he meant business.  Meeting with the nutritionist for several months, the surgeon said "you know what to do". The last month before my surgery date he did give me an appetite suppressant that helped me with the last 9 or 10 lbs, thank God! I had the "infamous" bowel prep, but I felt like my torture was the few months after the surgery "food wise". I had 2 weeks of clear liquids followed by 2 weeks of full liquids. Then 1 month of puree'd food, 1 month of soft before I was able to go on to regular textured foods.  Those first 2 weeks (not even protein drinks) were the absolute worse, but let me tell you.  I'd do it all again.  I SO wanted to do what everyone else's dr told them to do and I was envious of most. The best advice my dr gave me was to do what he said to do and not to listen to anyone else. Friends and family that have not had this done do not understand.  This is the best site to come to to get advice and experiences. Your surgeon has his own way of doing things for a reason, so I placed my trust in him. You're doing great and will continue to... keep us update and welcome to a very supportive group of people! 

Carol

Banded 12/2006 - Revision to RNY 9/26/2016

HW 262 - SW 235 - CW 134

teelo
on 3/6/17 6:33 pm

Thank you SO much for this! I can't even express in words how grateful I am that you shared this all with me. I've been second guessing some of my decisions -- after seeing that some people were more fortunate with their diets, and some people were less fortunate, I thought maybe I could get away with eating a few pieces a protein and vegetables here and there, so I did. And it didn't do anything in terms of hurting me or making me feel sick, but I just know how hard I've worked to get this surgery date scheduled and I don't want anything at all to get in the way of that, so I'm 100% sticking to the diet that my surgeon gave me because I don't want to sabotage myself. It's tough, absolutely, but I think my determination is overtaking my willpower and making it stronger. I'm so excited for my new life. It's people like you that make me feel so optimistic about the journey that's ahead-- like anything is possible, and I love that so much. So thank you for this! :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 348 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 448 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 436 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 331 views