May I rant about NUTs for a moment?

slightlyrocky
on 4/1/17 8:50 am - Titusville, FL
RNY on 05/02/17

I have not had my WLS yet. Should be scheduled next week. When I had my pre-op appointment with the NUT I questioned some of her advice. I am very familiar with low carb and during her demonstration with the plastic foods some of them (like the mashed potatoes!) were definitely NOT low carb. Maybe that is why they are called NUTs!

GmaDiana
on 4/4/17 9:01 am

Everyone needs some carbs but keep it low.Can't believe they both told you that.Fruit really doesn't count as a starch. Whole wheat carbs are better for you. Time that I feel really tired are not enough protein and water intake. I still drink a shake when I need to get my protein up.I'm 5 months out. At my Drs office they say 3-4 ozs protein,1/4 cup vegetable and 1/4 cup starch.Starch vegetable,(Peas,Corn),complex carbs(Whole wheat bread,pasta.

Hope this helps.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/4/17 10:22 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I would have never reached a normal BMI doing this.

There is absolutely no need for starches/carbs.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

aesposito
on 4/5/17 3:44 pm

Fruit is a sugar. Starch is a sugar. Carbs are a sugar. Whole wheat carbs are a sugar. Complex carbs are sugar. Your doctor's office is filled with idiots who should be sued for malpractice.

Ask them where they get their research on post RNY diets, then show them actual research and evidence-based information from the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.

https://asmbs.org/patients/life-after-bariatric-surgery

Fruit is a starch. Starch is sugar. Whole wheat carbs are carbs. Carbs are sugar. You are five months out. Let me know in 5 years how you are doing with that kind of advice.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Arjeffries
on 4/9/17 11:53 am
VSG on 01/27/16

It's interesting that different NUTS have you follow different diets. My NUT says no mashed potatoes, rice,corn,peas, lima beans, carrots,crackers, bread, cereal, and cakes . They recommend berries, melons, and grapes, squash plants for my starches along with green leafy vegetables. I can have a baked sweet potato, baked potato and oatmeal once I'm in maintenance , no more than once a week. They recommend less than 50 grams of carbs a day and 65 grams of protein daily. There is no limit on fat grams.

Dundreggen
on 4/12/17 11:38 am - Canada

See this advice I could be down with.

They like to push that the 'recommedation is 100-120g of carbs a day' I pointed out the faulty math with that. I am eating about 800 cals a day. I am not limiting myself, this is just the restriction working properly.

1g of carb = 4 cals. and 1g of protein = 4 cals.

Now no food is just carb or just protein, even straight up bread has calories that come from non starch. But lets pretend. 20 grams of steak is not 20 grams of protein.

120g of carb =480 calories.

80g of protein = 320 calories

Total = 800 calories

This is just not possible. No food is the 'pure'. This also does not include fats. I can't believe they would want me to sacrifice protein to get in carbs that are aren't full of essential vitamins etc.

I also straight up asked what was in these carbs that was so vital. "umm B vitamins" ok but I can get those from meat and fish... and get my protein at the same time. Not selling it to me..

Referral TWH: Sept 2015 Orientation: Nov 2015 Social Worker: Jan 2016 Nurse practitioner: Feb 2016 Nutrition (group): Mar 2016 Nutritionist: May 2016 Psych: May 2016 Meeting with Surgeon: July 2016 Surgery!: Nov 2016

So far 80 pounds lost!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 357 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 261 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 286 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 139 views