Any newbies ever feel like this? (I"m 4 months out)

NasaJen
on 4/6/17 5:04 am
RNY on 12/09/16

So every now and then my stomach feels like its just not letting anything through to my small intestine. Then other times, its no problem at all. I've read that the new stomach can be a picky little stinker and it's all just normal. Most days there is usually some point during the day that I can tell my stomach is like, nope, not going to let that pass (even liquid)....then other times during the day its all "bring it on, I'm open".

Anyone else experience this??? Is this how it is at first? I know its still early in the whole process for me, but I wanted to get some responses so I don't freak myself out.

Here is my typical day for my stomach to accept food/liquid:

morning: no problem

mid-morning to early afternoon: completely closed for business

evening: no problem

overnight: no problem

Any ideas? Or is this just all part of the healing?

LapBand: 3.2.10

RNY: 12.9.16

Highest: 451

Morning of RNY: 283

Current: 195

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/17 6:08 am

Our pouches can be stinkers at times. Sometimes it is best to call our doctors. They get paid the big bucks.

Grim_Traveller
on 4/6/17 6:15 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It's how it is, always.

Mostly, people refer to Big Pouch and Little Pouch days. There are days I can only eat half of what I do other days. We just need to be able to make adjustments.

If it's random, it's no big deal at all. If it seems to be getter tighter day by day, with no Big Pouch days, it could be a sign of a stricture or other issue, and you should get checked out.

When you get a year or more out, you will be able to eat a lot in the course of a day. Enough to gain, for sure. My best advice is to take advantage of Little Pouch days, and just don't eat as much. Because you are bound to eat more on Big Pouch days.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/6/17 6:34 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Yes, it sound pretty normal -- unless you mean that you are bringing up food/water regularly -- that's not typical.

One thing that helps me is to drink warm liquids rather than cold ones in the mornings/mid-mornings.

As grim said, take advantage of "small pouch" days -- you will long for "closed for business" times in the future!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

NYMom222
on 4/6/17 7:19 am
RNY on 07/23/14

We were all newbies at sometime, and yes that sounds perfectly normal. I am with Kat in that I find warm liquids easier or even room temp.

I had a terrible time with liquids the first year...and getting them down...that stuck in my throat feeling. I literally had to schedule my drinking to get it all in, starting with water on the nightstand, so I would drink while I was getting ready in the AM.

Then 'poof' at one year out I was all good with the drinking....

And yes, as Grim said- Big pouch days and Small Pouch days- makes no sense, but it is the truth....

For me I was fine doing liquids all morning, but couldn't do solids until lunch... Now it doesn't matter as much.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

CJ On Orcas
on 4/6/17 10:16 am
RNY on 09/09/16

Same here for me at 7 months. Mornings I have a hard time doing anything but liquids. You did not post what you eat in mornings as opposed ro mid day? Could that mid day meal be something hard to digest? For me that was dense protein, eggs, tuna. I went to eating a greek yogurt for lunch for several months. I have been able to move on fo the modt part now and try to get in hard boiled egg, tuna, cottage xheese, but that has been only in the last month or so.

Second (and third) taking advantage of the small pouch days... at 7 months they are becoming less. I still have them but more big pouch days. Some days I feel like I want to eat all the food everywhere. I can't really, but it is a scary thought.

cc583
on 4/6/17 3:18 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

Same here for me too! I have days where I want to eat and others that it is a chore to get everything in.

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

Gina 21 Years Out
on 4/6/17 7:03 pm - Burleson, TX

I will be 15 years out, later this month. Oscar (my grouch pouch) still does as he pleases. I still start my day with warm liquids AKA coffee, coffee, coffee, then have a protein shake, for breakfast, most every single day. I hardly ever eat "solid" food, until lunch. It's been my routine, for years, because Oscar likes it that way.

Early on, I kinda did what you are describing, and my doctor tested me for strictures, etc, but I was fine. Oscar just likes to start the day slowly. I wish I had more "small pouch" days, for sure!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 430 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 357 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 283 views