Questions about Gastric Bypass afterlife

AngAng
on 4/10/17 12:20 pm

Hi there, my Hubby and I are getting surgery together. My Hub is a Truck Driver. One of his concerns is ... Will I have a problem with having to go to the bathroom or lack of control?

Is this a problem?? Possibly having sudden urges to have a bm or having a lot of Diarrhea?

I also read about this Sugar meltdown thing. Does this mean that we will never ever be able to eat a piece of pie or a scoop of ice cream?

So looking forward to any and all input.

Kathy1212
on 4/10/17 2:14 pm

I think everyone is different, but a lot of people, myself included, have the opposite problem...constipation.

As for sugar, I'll be 10 weeks out this Wednesday, and I wouldn't dream of eating pie or real ice cream. There are some nice recipes for "icecream" made from protein powders on Eggface's blog. I wouldn't mind trying that on a hot summer day.

Maybe some of the people who are years out can answer this better than I can.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

peachpie
on 4/10/17 2:43 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I worried about the same thing re:urge/frequency incontinence. It has never once been an issue for me (2years out). Likely, constipation will be the bigger battle. Earlier as you learn what your body does does not like, you may get reactions but will learn from them.

Re: sugar. I really don't dump or have to consume a lot of concentrated fat/sugar at once to dump. I can eat pie, chocolate, ice cream etc. The feeling I get when I've had to much is very subtle.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Oxford Comma Hag
on 4/10/17 2:49 pm

Is your husband a long-haul trucker? If so, he might want to take a cooler with protein-forward options, since most food available on the road is low quality and carb laden.

Most post ops experience the opposite of diarrhea, because protein-forward eating can cause constipation.

I think you are referring to dumping. Sugar after surgery is best if very limited. Even if you don't dump, it may make you feel pretty crappy, and even if it doesn't make you feel crappy, it's a lot of easy calories that slide right down, which is the road to regain.

I can eat anything I want if I am willing to accept the consequences: possible regain, dumping, feeling generally crappy, and regret for eating whatever poor choice it was. Those consequences make it easier to stick to protein and non-starchy vegetables.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

seattledeb
on 4/10/17 3:12 pm

I have had a primary diet of pie and ice cream with Cheetos for variety and Dr.Pepper to wa**** down.

I can eat any of these foods but if it's ice cream I will be sick for hours. Pie will crash my blood sugar. Dr Pepper will crash my blood sugar aw well.

I can eat Cheetos without complication other than weight gain.

A post RnY diet is interesting and different probably than you've ever eaten. It's protein first. Early on that will fill your small pouch. The first year you will lose more weight that you ever will in your life.

You will get to your maintenance weight (faster if you stay high protein and low carbs). Then the real fun begins but that is another post.

jenorama
on 4/10/17 3:40 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Like others have said, constipation is more of an issue than the opposite. I take a daily probiotic to keep me on the regular. Proper hydration will also be key when your husband is on the road. I take a lot of road trips and I've noticed that a lot of truck stops are starting to stock things like cheese sticks and boiled eggs, so if your husband is caught out without any snacks, he can keep a lookout for these.

My tastes for sweets have changed and I find them generally too rich. I do enjoy an occasional taste, but anymore it's not worth the calories to me.

Jen

CathyV
on 4/11/17 3:48 am

True dumping on sugar is not that common. If I eat a large portion of something sugary, I might feel bad for a while...very tired, vaguely bloated and cranky. Enough to discourage more than a very small portion, which is perfect. But mostly I avoid so as to keep my weight loss moving. I agree, the more common issue is constipation, not diarrhea. :) I am 7 months out, btw.

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

Mahalo F.
on 4/11/17 6:58 am

Good morning!

Congratulations are doing this journey together!

I have to agree with the feedback provided...

Constipation will be your biggest challenge....

I have finally found balance thanks to the great advice provided in this forum...

Packing a cooler with bottled water, protein shakes, and other protein rich snacks is key....

Picking up hot decaffienated coffee or tea along his route and at truck stops will be easy.

I take Restoralax (Miralax) every morning in my coffee and the ritual has paid off....

I personally have never experienced dumping because I have never put myself in the situation.

Trying to use this amazing tool and take advantage of the opportunity!

Quite honestly, I don't think about all the foods that made me obese. My goal is to get to goal.

The one thing that I have learned from the vets is regain because of poor choices is high.

I have to believe that I have worked hard to get to where I am and I will not go back to that unhealthy obese woman....

Good luck!

Sandra

Mahalo.

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

AngAng
on 4/13/17 9:58 am

Thank you soo much.

My husband is home every night. he works long hours.. about the max he's allowed to work, by trucking laws.

I pack his lunches and I try to be healthy now. today's lunch consisted of 1/4 cup of almonds, 2 boiled eggs, 4 bottled waters, 1 Premier protein shake, 1 cucumber sliced, 1 honey crisp apple, a salad with onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, chicken and a little feta cheese, with his light French dressing. He doesn't eat these items all at once, he munches on them as he drives. would those items still be ok for him, after the RNY??

I am soo glad to hear that he isn't going to have to worry about a constant diahhrrea issue.

I'm very sorry if all my questions are boring. I am very curious.

I am in Michigan and will be going to the Barix Clinic in Ypsilanti. anyone had experience with this place? So far its been very good.

How do I find out if there is anyone that is my height, age, and size and having the same procedure?

52 years old, 5'5" tall, 230 lbs, lap band revision to RNY. I hate the Lap Band.

AngAng

Revision Lap Band to RNY Approved 5/10/17 Surgery Date 6/6/2017

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 263 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 309 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 328 views