Struggling to stay on track!

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/17 7:50 am
VSG on 12/28/16

Thanks Mandi! It's good to know you're at the same stage. Let's keep in touch!

HonestOmnivore
on 7/31/17 12:05 pm
RNY on 03/29/17

Mandi,

First, I have only read the first two responses and they're pretty great, coming from some of the awesome active posters here on OH. So, what they say :)

Second, you CAN do this or you wouldn't be posting here. You WILL do this because you're here looking for support and people can be harsh and sometimes even a little cruel, but for every cruel poster remember that there are lots of silent and supportive readers pulling for you. Truth is PAINFUL but needed here.

This addiction thing people talk about is far more true than I'd ever believed prior to WLS. Everyone has different weaknesses and you are going to find out what is yours during the course of this experience! I've learned that at only a few months out, I can consume moderate alcohol occasionally without seeming to want any more or otherwise change my eating patterns, yet it's possible if not likely that will change and I'm probably playing with fire. Last week I agreed to increase my carb intake and overall calories and guess what? I am not able to do that successfully. I am far more carb sensitive than I'd thought. Nothing like the alcohol intake. Fresh fruit led to massive carb cravings and in the end there were donuts. It was not pretty. I'd committed to giving it a month, I've backed out of most of that and while I'll keep fresh veggies in the mix the berries are going to the compost pile.

I never ate a lot of carbs, but clearly I'm far more attracted to them now than I was prior to WLS. It's possible I'll never be able to include moderate carbs in my daily diet. Sad but worth it if that's what it takes to be healthy.

The good news is hat now you know your personal enemy, and by knowing your enemy you can work a good plan. Purge the carbs out of your home, if you have family that like them, tough, they can find their carbs elsewhere but they don't NEED to have junk carbs on hand just like you wouldn't keep a narcotic pain medication in your cupboards if you lived with a recovering drug addict (or alcohol based cough meds if you lived with an alcoholic).

I believe in you, we all KNOW you CAN do this! Work your tool, check in daily, embrace the journey!

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Mandi87
on 7/31/17 3:15 pm
RNY on 12/08/16

Thank you. You have no idea how nice it was to take a break in my day just now and read this! Carbs/Sugar are clearly my weakness but I'm going to keep on going and stick to my plan. Still need to set up an appointment with my new nutritionist but there's a part of me that is putting it off because I have the feeling she'll tell me it's totally fine to eat all these "trigger foods" in moderation. I feel like once I'm triggered it's kind of a game over type situation so for now I will steer clear of them. I'm sure it'll be an interesting appointment when I finally get my butt in there though haha

Most Active
Recent Topics