NUT-Consult Matches Advice from OH members!

SkinnyScientist
on 8/29/17 10:47 am

Actually, the issue is I am new to this and not understanding it.

Because my breakfast was low carb, I was expecting something in the 90s or below. Since a pre-meal blood sugar for a normal person is between 80-100, I was a bit upset to see a 105.

Do we just round these blood sugar values down?

This is probably why the NUT has me seeing the PA this Friday.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Donna L.
on 8/29/17 7:24 pm, edited 8/29/17 12:24 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

As insulin drops from eating low carb (or eating less regardless in our cases), a hormone called glucagon rises and causes blood sugar to rise. Also, protein causes a spike in insulin (and sometimes blood sugar) because insulin is needed to break protein down into amino acids.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

SkinnyScientist
on 8/29/17 10:09 am

Success! 99-two hours after lunch! At least I picked ONE meal right today.

Ended up missing body pump. Will have to tae bo and HIIT instead.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/29/17 11:35 am

initially I used to measure my BS before a meal and then in 15 min intervals after meals. I can't eat just eggs. My BS gets up and then drops, then goes up again. My lowest BS after eggs was around 50. But adding some mayo or bacon - kept it more steady.

Post op RNY my body reacts much faster to food. There is not "1 hour"between eating and when the food reaches my small intestine. The effect for me is almost immediate. Remember - we don't have stomach taht keeps food in until digested, just a pouch. The more I chew the food - the faster gets absorbed.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SkinnyScientist
on 8/29/17 11:48 am

That is correct! So I think I will take a 1 hour value as well. It is just 3 extra lancets a day. The data points may likely be very useful!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/29/17 11:49 am
RNY on 12/31/13

What Hala is explaining to you about FAT is your missing key. You need fat to keep your BS stable.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

FluffyChix
on 8/30/17 6:16 am

You might benefit from getting this book by Dr. Richard Bernstein. He's a T1 diabetic in his 70s and has zero diabetic neuropathy. He pioneered the use of home glucometers to test bgs according to food intake. He has a website and facetime seminars and helps people with diabetes and hypoglycemia (anyone with bg issues). He also uses a method of eating that is low carb high fat and helps explain the numbers so they are pretty easily understood.

The book is called Diabetes Solution

Here's the website where you might find helpful info on dialing in your numbers.

SkinnyScientist
on 8/30/17 6:34 am

Thank you and Bless You FluffyChix! I will get it from the library Friday after my PA appointment!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 27 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 293 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?