Lexapro

racemomss
on 9/30/17 11:48 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

Has anyone experienced Lexapro stop working after bypass? I'm on liquid form and I'm feeling it isn't working..

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/30/17 1:54 pm

They work just fine for me. But now I take it in 2 doses. That works best for me. In the past when I was on Lexapro, it felt like I was running "on fumes" by the end of the day. Splitting the half changed that for me. A friend of mine needed a double dose. I have no problem with pills. Because I believe that I still may malabsorb fats I try to take my meds by itself - with no fat, fiber or other food close to the medicine

Call to your doc and talk to him/her.

Early on some of us deal with what we call "hormonal dumping". That can affect our mood and anxiety.

I am not a doc, but I heard that sometimes meds need to be changed because body get used to one type and they no longer work as they suppose to.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

racemomss
on 9/30/17 6:05 pm - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

Thank you. I am 5 weeks out and still fighting the sadness and depression. I'm hoping it is the hormanal dumping and will pass soon.

LoCoMama
on 10/1/17 2:36 pm

When did you start taking the liquid form? And when was your surgery? It's such a huge transition after surgery - physically, mentally and emotionally. It's not surprising that you might be struggling. Even if you didn't have a tendency towards depression and/or anxiety beforehand.

I know some docs recommend switching to liquid or at least the non-extended release versions of medications for after surgery bc of lots of reasons. You don't have to do that forever. I'm 8 months out and my doc just okayed going back on the extended release version of my med because the other was NOT working for me.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like. I've struggled too and am a therapist. Familiar with meds from both sides! ?

racemomss
on 10/2/17 12:06 pm - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

I have sent you a message. It is such a moment by moment thing for me at this time. I appreciate your input and help. I am trying to keep things on a routine basis to help give me normalcy. I think it is boiling down to the unknown and what I can't control. I am trying to weigh the option of adding the Wellbutrin now or wait.

minaque2
on 10/1/17 6:41 pm

I am on lexapro too. I have been having in uptick in depression and anxiety symptoms. I am trying to ride it out. There are so many factors involved not the least of them being e production of seratonin in your gut being assaulted by surgery. I'm working very closely with my therapist right now. Please feel free to message me anytime!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/2/17 7:58 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I can't speak to RNY, but I've been on Lexapro and Celexa for years (I have bipolar and OCD) and here are a few thoughts:

The post-op hormone dump is REAL. Even with all of my meds under close watch, it was still rough going for the first six months. I had to tweak my doses several times to get to a point where I was doing OK again.

Hormones and loss aside, sometimes meds just crap out on us and stop working. I've gone through that several times in the past fifteen years. Sometimes I needed a bigger dose, other times I needed to change meds completely. And that's OK, though it certainly sucks to have to go back to the trial-and-error-to-find-a-new-drug game.

Have you been in touch with the doctor who's prescribed the Lexapro? That would probably be a good place to start.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

racemomss
on 10/2/17 12:08 pm - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

I have been in contact and seeing my doctors. My primary care doctor told me to add in Wellbutrin which he prescribed but I am hesitant on adding another med for that. I am feeling like an upside down snow globe. This isn't me at all. I am getting out walking more and hoping my new vitamin supplements start helping evening me out. My friends are saying this isn't me too. I hope I am back to the old new me soon.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/2/17 12:12 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Wellbutrin is a good one to add on for the short-term. It's often prescribed temporarily on top of another med, so this isn't anything unusual-- but I totally understand not wanting to pile on the medications.

Are you working with any sort of therapist or counselor, or do you have another outlet for the emotional side of WLS? Even with my meds, I needed another way to cope with all of the changes in my life; feeling like I'm out of control is definitely one of my big mental-health triggers. LOTS of people here work with therapists! I took up journaling for a while and got a ton of help from it.

Feel free to PM if you ever need a mental-health buddy!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

racemomss
on 10/2/17 12:25 pm - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

I am back in therapy with my bariatric counselor. She is concerned on my vitamin deficiency and possibly not absorbing my Lexapro. I am 5 weeks out and still on the liquid form of it. I am so ready to be back on pills again. There are some questions on what exactly was done to me in surgery. I was to have a gastric bypass rny. I had ulcers and reflux from my sleeve 5 years ago. The surgeon has not made it clear what exactly he did. it seems I don't get full now and I am able to eat more now than I was with the sleeve. I know he said he removed the pyloris and took out the bad part of my stomach. I am curious to find out if I have a "new" pyloris that stops my food from juts going right on down. I am hoping after I find more answers I will feel better. I go back on the 9th. I am requesting him to draw me a diagram lol.

Most Active
Recent Topics