Why don't I feel like I'm getting full?

Ladyjackson
on 11/21/18 4:44 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 11/14/18

Hello everyone! I am 1 week post-op today and everything has been going great. No more pains. I've been up and moving since the day I had surgery but when I'm drinking my 1oz of water or 1 oz of SF kool-aid, I don't feel like I am getting full. Is that normal?? I'm still on my clear liquid phase for 1 more week.

Writergurl08
on 11/21/18 7:41 pm
RNY on 02/15/18

Two reasons--1) you won't get full on liquids because they go right through your new stomach and 2) your nerves in your stomach have been cut and are still healing. You may take many weeks or even months to actually feel restriction or "fullness" and it won't feel the same as it did before. In my case, I still feel nothing at 9 months out. I go straight from fine to SICK.

For that reason, once you're on solids, it will be important to measure out the amount of food your surgeon tells you you should be eating and do not eat more than that. Do not chase the "full" feeling. You will make yourself sick at best, do yourself damage at worst.

I'm glad you're pain free and healing up well! Check in often, especially on the daily menu thread. It's a great place to get to know people and see what everyone veryone eats at various stages :)

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

karenp8
on 11/21/18 7:42 pm - Brighton, IL

This is totally normal. Liquids don't stay in your stomach now because you no longer have a pyloric valve. They go right through so they won't make you feel full. Also nerves have been messed with and it takes time for them to heal. When you are able to eat dense meat you'll begin to feel full but we shouldn't try to eat til we feel full anymore. Measure out your approved amount and then stop. Eating til we were stuffed is why we needed surgery in the first place.

Au_Contraire
on 11/22/18 7:12 am

It's totally normal! I asked exactly the same question when I was at your stage!

Loril1963
on 11/22/18 8:26 am
RNY on 10/28/16
On November 22, 2018 at 12:44 AM Pacific Time, Ladyjackson wrote:

Hello everyone! I am 1 week post-op today and everything has been going great. No more pains. I've been up and moving since the day I had surgery but when I'm drinking my 1oz of water or 1 oz of SF kool-aid, I don't feel like I am getting full. Is that normal?? I'm still on my clear liquid phase for 1 more week.

It's so normal. A lot of us felt that way at the beginning. You almost wonder if the surgery worked! It is working, you are on liquids, they go through you fast. Just keep doing what your supposed to be doing. When you finally get on dense protein you will see the difference.

Shtacey
on 12/18/18 6:16 pm
RNY on 12/07/18

Wow, I can't tell you how helpful it has been reading this post. I am going through exactly the same thing

I had my gastric bypass surgery on December 7, 2018. I am 11 days post op and still on full fluids, and I have been wondering the same thing.

I find it very easy to get down my food and drink. Surprisingly easy. I do get some discomfort if I eat or drink too quickly, so I am trying to really make sure I keep taking those recommended breaks every 30ml's (but 15 minutes is a seriously long time to wait)! However, I also am not really getting that full feeling in the same way. I was petrified and worried that maybe the procedure didn't work. Hearing these responses has really made me feel a lot better.

I am almost at puréed foods, and I am hopeful that as I move through the stages, I will feel more of those "full feelings" that I was expecting to feel.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 401 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 391 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 214 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 295 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?