on 12/31/18 1:46 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Beautiful!!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Au_Contraire
on 12/31/18 2:39 pm

Happy New Year's Eve, my RnY friends!

I intend to resemble that cozy kitty this evening, without the cookies, of course. I like having a quiet New Year's Eve. Usually my family calls at midnight, or I call them, and we wish each other happiness, good health, and good fortune in the New Year. Hopefully the kitties won't be too upset by the bangs and booms outside. It is weird being on the west coast tonight, after growing up and living on the east coast for so long. I will watch the ball drop in Times Square, but it will happen at 9 PM here, which is always disconcerting to me. I'll be up until 2019 reaches my time zone, of course, but it always feels a little anti-climactic!

QOTD: I wanted to reach my goal of being under 150 pounds in 2018. I accomplished that and then some - this morning I once again weighed in at 132.0. A year ago today, I weighed in at 243.8 - and I had already lost 109.8 pounds in the previous 6 months! What a huge change! When I am feeling frustrated or dispirited about anything these days, I reflect on the enormity of this accomplishment. And I'm not quite done yet - I still would like to hit 127. In terms of my physical health and well-being, my appearance, my stamina and my mobility, my life has changed tremendously. I was so trapped before, so terribly uncomfortable, so unhappy with my appearance, and so profoundly metabolically stuck. I am none of those things now and despite challenges in other areas, I love my new life in a body that actually reflects and fits who I am!

This has in so many ways been a year of huge changes. And I am on the cusp of yet another move, ugh! But it has to be, and it will be a good thing once it's a fait accompli. it is very stressful, though, for the time being.

Have some pork tomorrow you guys, even if just a mouthful - bacon, sausage, ham, pork roast, whatever - it doesn't matter. This has long been believed to ensure good fortune and prosperity in the New Year, which is why so much vintage and antique New Year's ephemera features images of pigs! It's an old European tradition.

First: Three 20-oz. mugs of tea

B: ham with cheese

L: eggs

D: salmon

Plus a tiny bite of ham for good luck at midnight!

Have a warm, safe and wise New Year's Eve, my kindred!

Partlypollyanna
on 12/31/18 4:12 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I didn't know that about pork! I would much rather have sausage or ham than hoppin' john so I will give that a go. Happy new year!

Jen

Greateight
on 12/31/18 4:48 pm
RNY on 08/29/18

I looked it up and what I could find was that it was because pigs move forward while looking for food, whereas chickens moved backwards. Not that I need excuses to eat ham.

Jim Age 58 Height 6 Feet Consult Weight 344 SW 289 Pre-Surgery -55, M1 -25, M2 -16, M3 -21, M4 -10, M5 -5, M6 -1, M7 -4, M8 0, M9 +4, M10 -4

Au_Contraire
on 12/31/18 5:17 pm

Interesting! I need no excuses to eat ham either, but good luck is always welcome! Happy New Year, Jim!

Partlypollyanna
on 12/31/18 5:38 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

oh that is cool!

Jen

Au_Contraire
on 12/31/18 5:09 pm

Me too Jen! Happy New Year to you, as well!

Au_Contraire
on 12/31/18 5:28 pm

I agree - give me sausage or ham over Hoppin' John any day! Happy New Year to you too, Jen!

My sister-in-law lived in Spain for a while. There, as the clock begins to strike midnight, everyone stuffs grapes into their mouths and quickly eats them, a grape for each stroke of the clock. Twelve grapes later, they have ensured their good fortune for the new year! I find all of these folk beliefs and rituals to be so interesting!

Partlypollyanna
on 12/31/18 5:31 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

My Cuban friends have that tradition as well which makes perfect sense. It's fascinating to trace some of those traditions/rituals backwards!

Jen

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 67 views
Recent Topics