"Clean" eating?

cheapskate
on 12/14/21 6:48 am
RNY on 03/30/15

Anyone here add clean eating in addition to their program? I'm thinking i need to try it to see if It helps other(non surgery related) health issues I have. It seems so daunting to add what you can't have eating to clean to what we already need to avoid.

White Dove
on 12/14/21 6:56 am - Warren, OH

In 2016 I was diagnosed with kidney disease. I had to completey change my way of eating. It was a very strange and hard thing to do. I found out that I eat drastically different, maintain my weight loss and mitigate health risks. Here is what I now eat:

Foods to eat:

• Low potassium foods such as apples, cabbage, carrots, green beans
  • Low protein foods such as vegetables, fruits, breads and cereals
  • Use lemon, herbs, spices to flavor your meals

Foods to avoid:

• High potassium foods such as bananas, potatoes, spinach, oranges
  • High protein foods such as lean meat, eggs, milk, cheese, beans
  • High phosphorus foods such as cheese, ice cream, chocolate
  • Avoid foods that are liquid at room temperature such as gelatin dessert and fluids
  • Low salt intake

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Christina135
on 12/14/21 7:11 am

Mernin'! I can only tell you that I made a huge change in my diet based on things I was experiencing and it made a huge difference. I am 47, but when I was about 44, going to be 45 I started dealing with a lot of inflammation and pain in my joints. To the point where I was mad that we had bought a two-story house. I was feeling OLD! I started researching and decided it was time for a change.

I cut out all alcohol. (It will be 3 years in June). I cut out animal products, so I no longer eat meat at all. I do occasionally have cheese, it's the last animal product I haven't been able to kick. I haven't had actual milk in about 10-11 years. I instead drink and use plant milk, my favorite is oat milk.

I added so many new fruits and veggies to my diet, along with grains and tofu. I've learned to do most of my cooking on my own, and it's made a huge difference. I also added turmeric and other inflammation-fighting nutrients to my diet and my pain is GONE. I feel better now at 47 than I did at 25, no lie. I look better too.

For me, clean-eating is a bit of a misnomer. I think assigning food a good or bad connotation is dangerous (for me at least, because of ED history). But I love that you're starting a conversation about changing up your program and working with your tool, for sure!

Christina

Let it begin with me.

03/2009 - SW:261 GW 135 (CW:131)

cheapskate
on 12/14/21 8:09 am
RNY on 03/30/15

Well, clean was in "s because it's the acceptable/recognizable term for the move I'm considering making.

I am not sure about giving up meat. One thing i need post op is more protein then most or I get disoriented and sluggish to the point i slur my words and fall asleep. But I am open because inflammation is one thing I need relief from!

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/15/21 10:03 am

for me clean eating is whole foods keto-paleo, AIP, avoiding high fodmap Foods. I'm eating keto now, not even clean keto.

Clean keto- paleo is simply real foods, like eggs, meats, fish, good fats (no vegetable oils), some nuts, veggies, and limited fruits.

I still eat cheese. And keto "manufactured foods".

my next step would be to give up all dairy, and no nuts for at least 1 month. To see how I would feel.

I deal with chronic back/si joints pain, and arthritis pain.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 58 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 361 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 359 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 303 views